PDA

View Full Version : Drop down stairs

Bar-OneRanch
12-26-2016, 08:49 AM
While visiting my son in Richmond VA. we went RV browsing and was looking at a new Montana at a dealer there. They had a solid set of stairs that were hinged at the floor and flipped up and latched inside of the door. I don't see these on the Keystone site anywhere and was curious if anyone had them on their trailer. They were very solid, but I was wondering what happens if there is a bit of a drop off on the RV site where they should touch the ground how they work then?
Thanks
Chris

chuckster57
12-26-2016, 02:05 PM
The legs are adjustable length.

Stircrazy
12-26-2016, 05:18 PM
they are called "step above" by mor ryde. I had ordered them for my fith but morryde promised 2 week delivery and two months later I said screw it and went with another solar panel instead. with that much time to think about them they would be fine if I went to a park and never moved, but I camp in sun, rail, dirt, sand and every time you fold them up your going to get water/dirt inside your trailer.

Steve

JRTJH
12-26-2016, 06:20 PM
The Mor Ryde "step above" stair system is listed as standard on all Montana fifth wheels. It's located in the Exterior Features toward the bottom of the webpage here: http://www.keystonerv.com/montana/

Bar-OneRanch
12-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks, we do a lot of state parks and I could see the dirt coming in with the stairs. Chris

Borntodubb
12-31-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes the solid stairs are standard. We had to special order ours to get the traditional folding type. Didn't want dirt inside the trailer every time we put up the stairs, and the main reason was because where we store the trailer we wouldn't be able to get inside because the length of the stairs would hit the trailer next to ours. Also we saw them at an RV show and at first we loved them, but then noticed that they rub on the screen door when closed.

CaptnJohn
12-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Saw them, not impressed.

chuckster57
12-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Saw them, not impressed.

That's what we thought when the first unit showed up with them.

Tbos
12-31-2016, 08:19 PM
I thought they would be nice and sturdy but the points brought up here certainly make me consider not having them when we upgrade to a 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notanlines
01-02-2017, 02:58 AM
We also looked at a couple trailers with the steps and didn't care for them at all. We stop at rest areas and use the facilities in our 5'ver a lot and I don't want to always have to make sure there is enough room for them. We both like our new 4-step stairs installed last year.

gnirwin
01-09-2017, 07:26 AM
I'm 63, DW same age with replacement knees. We were at the Cleveland RV show over the weekend and many of the new 5th wheels were equipped with them too. We thought they are fantastic! We heard nothing but good comments on them from people seeing and trying them for the first time. A way to really see how nice they are, (less steep and very sturdy) is go to an RV show where you are able to try them and then go to a camper that doesn't have them. Night and day difference. I guess if you are 20 something and 120 pounds you could probably care less. There was a Mor-Ryde booth at the show and I got a pamphlet on them. I will be ordering them for my 5th wheel this coming spring.

CaptnJohn
01-09-2017, 07:48 PM
I'm 63, DW same age with replacement knees. We were at the Cleveland RV show over the weekend and many of the new 5th wheels were equipped with them too. We thought they are fantastic! We heard nothing but good comments on them from people seeing and trying them for the first time. A way to really see how nice they are, (less steep and very sturdy) is go to an RV show where you are able to try them and then go to a camper that doesn't have them. Night and day difference. I guess if you are 20 something and 120 pounds you could probably care less. There was a Mor-Ryde booth at the show and I got a pamphlet on them. I will be ordering them for my 5th wheel this coming spring.

I'll soon be 69, way over 120#, bad knees, lots of arthritis; have tried them if required on my next 5er I'll keep the 5er I have.

denterjohn
01-10-2017, 04:43 PM
We purchased the Torklift Glow Step Revolution for our 2017 Cougar after seeing it (on a competitor's high-end fifth wheel) at the Hershey show. It took me an hour to install and doesn't take any more of my energy to deploy or store, but provides a solid, superior traditionally mounted set of steps. And no, I don't work for them.

rsl
01-12-2017, 07:50 AM
I to looked at the glow steps at the Hershey show and thought they were a much better option then factory or the "one piece" mor ryde step.

gnirwin
01-12-2017, 09:34 AM
yes the torklift looks good too, another option..anything is better than the steep , wobbly, rusty steps that I had on my past trailers...and the Aluminum ones are even worse...more unstable and wobbly...On my motorhome that I had a few years ago my wife wasn't strong enough to pull out the steps, takes just a few years for rust to attack the bushings. oh well from what I read here not for everyone..to each their own..by the way, I did hear many positive comments being made at the show, when you are waiting to get into a camper you hear the reactions of those exiting.

Jgkopp
01-14-2017, 04:16 AM
Seems like steps belong outside. What if it's raining and you need to fold up your steps. Are you really going to hinge into your rig these soaking wet steps and close the door?

JRTJH
01-14-2017, 05:56 AM
Seems like steps belong outside. What if it's raining and you need to fold up your steps. Are you really going to hinge into your rig these soaking wet steps and close the door?

Wet steps and dirty steps will drag stuff into the trailer that must eventually be "removed" either by cleaning or by shampooing. With water, if enough of it remains on the carpet to saturate it and wet the subfloor, potential damage would be possible.

For me, an even more significant disadvantage (especially in floorplans that require an opposing slide to be partially deployed to use the refrigerator or bathroom) is the clearance required OUTSIDE the RV to deploy the steps in order to gain entrance to the RV. If you're in a rest area, there likely won't be enough room between your rig and the "truck in the next spot" to deploy the steps and get into the RV. Even if there's nothing in the next spot and you deploy the steps, they will be "out there" enough to encroach on the next lane. A tired trucker or one who's "got to go" and isn't in the mood to "play games with an RV'er" may not view those steps as anything special. With them in his potential parking spot, he may just consider that telling you to contact his insurance is a good enough solution.....

We all talk about "being courteous at a truck stop fuel island" and not getting in the way of a trucker, and then deploy these steps, taking up two parking spots in a rest area, so we can have lunch ???

These steps are "great in some applications" but seem to be a significant disadvantage for some of the ways we use our RV.

Now, I'll get off my soap box...

Tbos
01-14-2017, 12:13 PM
I was at an RV show yesterday and all the 5ers had these steps. When I mentioned I would not be able to access the rig in my storage facility the salesman jokingly said "can you find another storage location?" They are very sturdy but all the issues mentioned on the forum are very legitimate concerns if I were to get them on a future rig.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green

Terry W.
01-14-2017, 02:53 PM
We have a 2012 Avalanche 330RE 5er. We went with a 4 step alum step system from Port-A-Deck at RV-CO. It has a hand rail and adjustable legs and attaches to the top factory step. It folds up and weight is 45 pounds and carry it in back of truck. We are real happy with it so far after about 1.5 years

CWSWine
01-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Most dislikes have been already mention but my wife and me load our trailer with the steps stowed. I carry stuff from the house and set in the door and nice having the steps stowed. If it raining you going to put wet steps inside you 5er to drip on the floor.

MattHelm21
01-14-2017, 10:38 PM
I carry stuff from the house and set in the door and nice having the steps stowed.

It does seem like the trend is to go with these steps but similar to what was mentioned concerning the loading aspect, we travel with our dogs and over the last two years, our German Shepard reached the point where she could no longer handle stairs including the ramps and pet steps so I'd been lifting her in the door with the steps folded. Interestingly, the 2017 model of our Fuzion has the Moryde stairs and I'm not sure I could have gotten her in that way.

jtrevill
01-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Sort of off topic, but not really :) I'm coming from a Class A motorhome and just getting a 5th wheel. I loved my power steps -- why don't I see them on any of the 5th wheels?

Bar-OneRanch
02-12-2017, 05:56 PM
That is why I like this forum, people can bring up stuff you might not think of. I hadn't thought about rest areas, or gas stops when someone wants to run in the trailer for something while I'm filling up. Next show I'll bring a tape measure to see how far out they extend, I did see the aluminum steps on some internet trailers and wondered how sturdy they were. Thanks for all of the input.
Chris

chuckster57
02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Seems like Moryde came out first and now LCI has followed. I can't say they look any different other than the name.

I've thought about electric steps on my 5er, but I don't think there is enough ground clearance for them to swing down and out.

skikrazee
02-12-2017, 08:20 PM
I have the moryde steps on my 29BH. I do like the sturdiness of them and they are not really difficult to deploy, however, you need to use care when stowing them. I purchased my unit from the Tampa Super show a few weeks ago, during the show a kid decided to fold up the steps, he shoved them in there so hard the steps bent the door frame where the stops rest on it and it continued into the trailer bending the attachment plate on the floor. So now I am waiting for a new set of steps to come in. :facepalm:

Some of the concerns listed here are valid. I keep a little whisk broom by my front door and when I go to store the steps I'll brush them off while holding them parallel to the ground.

But overall I like them, they are wide, sturdy and fairly light. And they have telescoping legs to compensate for uneven terrain

CWSWine
02-13-2017, 07:52 AM
My main dislike is loading the 5er up. We stow our steps and I carry stuff from the house and set on the floor while the wife puts away.

Don_T
02-20-2017, 06:57 AM
We have the steps in our new Alpine. We both like how solid they are compared to others we have had. We have not thought about potential problems in rest areas. That will be in a few months.

canesfan
02-20-2017, 07:54 AM
We have the steps in our new Alpine. We both like how solid they are compared to others we have had. We have not thought about potential problems in rest areas. That will be in a few months.

So just how much room do these steps need to open or close? I'm picturing all these dealers who have the rigs packed in like sardines. I don't think they're going to like the idea of spreading things out and taking up more real estate to accommodate some new fangled steps.

I have no issue with my present steps, I will reserve judgment until I see them in person, probably in about a month now. I will also get a first hand opinion from a dealer who has them packed in like sardines. :)

chuckster57
02-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Since I am delivering a trailer that I installed the LCI solid steps tomorrow, it will be in detail today. I can get my trusty tape measure and let you know.

Edit: just measured, LCI solid step requires minimum of 40" from sidewall. I'm pretty sure the Moryde would be the same.

CaptnJohn
02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Since I am delivering a trailer that I installed the LCI solid steps tomorrow, it will be in detail today. I can get my trusty tape measure and let you know.

Edit: just measured, LCI solid step requires minimum of 40" from sidewall. I'm pretty sure the Moryde would be the same.

40" before you get in front of them to start the climb is a lot. Probably going to need 5' in order to use them. larger people more room. You also get to adjust them for the ground which some of us older people with a bad back will not appreciate. Many reasons to see these are NOT an upgrade but are a downgrade.