PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the right choice?

geobet
12-25-2016, 05:19 PM
I'll keep this short. Traded in my Ram 2500 with cummins after I installed bed rails for the new Patriot hitch along with Firestone ride rite air bags. Weighed my 2500 with the new Montana High Country 310RE on two different Cat scales and found out not all information provided by the dealer nor Keystone was spot on.

Bought the 5er after talking to Keystone. Said the pin weight was around 2200#. Dealer had a tag stating the correct weight but way off on the pin weight. Actual pin was 2580#. Truck towed fine on the way home. No problems. Towed level and plenty of power etc. and handling was great.

Here's the Ram 2500 facts:

RAWR = only 40# to spare
GVWR = 900# over the 10,000 rating.
Rear tires = only 240#s to spare

So, I traded my 2013 Ram 2500 for a 2017 Ram 3500 dually. Haven't weight everything in yet but I now believe that I've got lots of extra capacity with this truck. Wife is eyeing a Splendide washer/dryer combo so.......had to upgrade my truck to haul it. What do you think? Haven't hooked it up yet but the rear on the Ram 3500 sits really high - I'm hoping the pin weight of the High Country makes it squat a few inches. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Cheers:

George

66joej
12-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Based on the specs for your Ram you have more than enough truck for the task at hand. IMHO

chuckster57
12-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Sounds like you did good! DRW is the way to go when your hauling a big fiver.

Dave-Gray
12-25-2016, 05:38 PM
You made the right decision. Next time you weigh, I recommend you follow the four-step weight safety plan at FifthWheelSt.Com.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sourdough
12-25-2016, 06:09 PM
You did the right thing. Now DW can add the foo fahs without worrying about the weight:ermm:

papi
12-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Are you kidding me we have the same truck and this is what the payload and towing capacity is on mine. If you go to the Ram trucks web page and enter your vin number it will tell you your truck specifics capacity. You can probably tow your house with it😜

notanlines
12-26-2016, 02:48 AM
Your comment:
"Wife is eyeing a Splendide washer/dryer combo so.......had to upgrade my truck to haul it. Haven't hooked it up yet but the rear on the Ram 3500 sits really high - I'm hoping the pin weight of the High Country makes it squat a few inches."
I wouldn't want to think I upgraded my truck about $15K worth so I could haul a dryer around that won't dry a load of towels in half a lifetime. Keep in mind she is talking about a dryer powered by 115 volts. All toll less than half the efficiency of the dryer in your house. Be sure to have her talk to other people with the same unit.
Also, don't plan on your 2800 pound pin weight making your dually squat a few inches. Someone on here will know exactly how far theirs comes down, but it won't be very far!
Now, what I'm hoping is you used the washer/dryer deal as a reason to upgrade the truck. As you probably know, needs tires, maybe needs oil change, dent in the bumper are all reasons to head to the dealer! Congrat's to you and enjoy the truck!

bsmith0404
12-26-2016, 04:56 AM
You did good, you will be amazed at how much better it will tow with 2 extra feet on the ground. Your weights are going to be fine. As for the squat from the pin weight, my friends that have a Ram do get a couple inches of squat with heavy 5ers, you should be fine, but you will most likely need to make some hitch/kingpin adjustments to get everything level.