PDA

View Full Version : Different Sofa by color scheme? Seriously

jmak
12-14-2016, 06:24 PM
We purchased a Keystone Cougar 26RBI TT. The one we first looked at had the gray cashmere décor. The wife was impressed how comfy the sofa was(major selling point since she has chronic pain) however the one we purchased has the brown platinum décor. The thing is the tri fold sofa is not just a different color but a completely different sofa. Is this normal?

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11587&stc=1&d=1481768503

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11588&stc=1&d=1481768503

chuckster57
12-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Did you look at the trailer you "bought" before you actually bought it, or did you look at one and buy another.

jmak
12-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Did you look at the trailer you "bought" before you actually bought it, or did you look at one and buy another.

Looked at one locally and then drove over 700 miles to buy the exact same year, model options except different color scheme but at a better price.

chuckster57
12-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Different color scheme may have meant a different sofa. Did you ask the selling dealer to send you any pictures of the interior so you could verify the same furniture?

ctbruce
12-14-2016, 08:17 PM
I'm with chuckster on this. I think it sounds like you didn't get to or didn't do a PDI?

I can't emphasize enough for others who are buying how important this is in the sales process.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

MattHelm21
12-14-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm not very familiar with the product line but it looks like the first one you looked at may have had the theater seating option or a modified version of it. I was able to find Cougar fifth wheel pictures of the theater seating option with that color you originally looked at and it seems to be a match except for the center cup holder section I assume is/was omitted to fit the unit in the 26RBI slideout. The 2016 pictures on the Keystone site in the Cougar Fifth Wheel seem to bear this out. I couldn't locate any pictures of the 26RBI theater seating option to compare.

The couch in the picture you had delivered is the standard couch which appears in the 2016 pictures for the 26 RBI on the Keystone site. It looks like a great floor plan. Enjoy it.

jmak
12-15-2016, 04:52 AM
I looked at the invoice sheet and both models just list Tri Fold Sleeper Sofa. We did a PDI and yes they sent me pictures however I would have never thought to compare what brand sofa they installed in each. Apparently lesson learned.

If it was a theater seating option I would it expect it be an option on the invoice. Both sofas are tri fold sofas that do not have reclining theater seating.

My main concern is trying to figure out how much do I try to fight this. I already sent an email to my sales guys and to Keystone to ask them why this is last night also. Really do not want to have order a $1000 sofa to make the wife happy. I guess if it comes down to that is there any resale value of a month old tri fold sofa?

chuckster57
12-15-2016, 06:05 AM
There may be a market for your sofa, off season probably won't fetch the best price. I doubt Keystone will do anything, so your best bet is the dealer. Being 700 miles away I doubt the selling dealer figured on hearing from you after the sale. Also be prepared to have your local dealer be reluctant to do any warranty work on it.

jmak
12-15-2016, 06:27 AM
There may be a market for your sofa, off season probably won't fetch the best price. I doubt Keystone will do anything, so your best bet is the dealer. Being 700 miles away I doubt the selling dealer figured on hearing from you after the sale. Also be prepared to have your local dealer be reluctant to do any warranty work on it.

I gave the local dealer the opportunity to earn my business but at over 5k price point difference for the exact same model and options I took the drive. If one local dealer wants to be challenging I have 3 of them that are Keystone Service Centers within 15 miles.

Luckily so far the overnight stay on the drive back from purchase and a camping weekend we have not found any issues besides the sofa difference. Knock on wood!

Lee
12-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Hi,

It's crazy how "Different" examples of the same model can be.

When I bought my Cougar 21RBSWE. There were 3 on the lot and all 3 were different, and not just in the color of the fabric. The one I purchased has a nice wood trim medicine cabinet and also towel hooks in the bathroom. The one right beside this one (same year, same model, same trim level) had a cheesy plastic medicine cabinet and no hooks.

Go figure,....

Hotch
12-15-2016, 06:42 AM
I would not take delivery of it. There is a big difference. I have the tri fold sofa and as I spent more time camping, I don't like it. Seat is too shallow and kinda stiff. The tan one looks wonderful.

Mike484
12-15-2016, 08:53 AM
There is a difference between the 2890rl and 2890rlwe. Since we live in Texas, we purchased the 2890rl but prefered the 2890rlwe because the rlwe has a much nicer couch and also has doors under the dinette bench. We wanted the couch from the rlwe but either had to purchase one out of state to go get it, pay a huge sum to have one transferred to us, or pay a huge sum to have our dealer order the couch and change it out for us. We decided to just accept it the was it is.

The rlwe is the free stading couch, the rl is the tri-fold (which sucks as a bed).

JRTJH
12-15-2016, 09:10 AM
If you do a little "snooping" around the internet, you'll find that there are some pretty significant differences in travel trailers, even with the same year and model number. It's not "exclusive to Keystone" but rather occurs through the entire RV industry.

Go to this website http://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Keystone-Cougar-26RBI-Travel-Trailer-RVs-For-Sale-On-RVT.com/results?type=Travel%20Trailers&manu=Keystone&brand=Cougar&model=26RBI&page=1 and you'll find a large number of Cougar XLite 26RBI models for sale. Prices range from $21k to $48K (for the same trailer) and the pictures reflect everything from off-white trailers with free floating front FILON caps to white, brown and tan fiberglass caps (again for the same trailer). Interior pictures reflect sofa styles in fabric, "fake" leather, in brown, tan and cashmere. Some have "solid surface countertops" while some have laminate. Some have "wood look" vinyl flooring, some have carpet and some have "stone look" vinyl, (all the same model number),

On the back of the Cougar brochure is this statement: "Product information is as accurate as possible as of the date of publication of this brochure. Features, floor plans, and specifications are subject to change without notice."

While this may make it more difficult for a purchaser to know what he's getting, it's the "out" used by all the manufacturers to use all the "old stock" and "over-runs" in trailers that are manufactured. Quite often "Cougar will borrow" some "Outback" or Laredo" furniture to keep the line running and it's not uncommon for a supplier to be "out of stock" and substitute a product. We are all "at the mercy of" Chinese factories, and when they stop making something, the suppliers have to find a new source.

So, "what you see is what you get" has pretty much become the accepted rule in the RV market. As said previously, looking at 4 models of the same trailer on a dealer's lot will give you 4 choices to buy because they all are different...

While no "consolation", it's just the way things are with RV's. Whether any of us agree or disagree, it's not likely to change as long as trailers are selling faster than they can "throw them together" in Goshen......