PDA

View Full Version : VIN Location on Keystone

JerJan10
12-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Does Keystone have the VIN stamped in frame anywhere or is it only on the weight info sticker on the left front of the unit?

Outback 325BH
12-14-2016, 07:31 AM
I don't know if the VIN is actually stamped anywhere, but my Keystone has a VIN tag riveted to the tongue on the driver's side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattHelm21
12-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Same here. VIN is stamped on a tag and riveted onto the pin box drivers side.

chuckster57
12-14-2016, 07:16 PM
I have a 2012 copper canyon 273FWRET, I will have to look and see if it has a VIN tag on the pin box. Can't say I've seen VIN's stamped on frames on any unit I have worked on.

JerJan10
12-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm going over to the storage lot tomorrow and will look for the tag.

Ken / Claudia
12-14-2016, 08:07 PM
The location for any other places the VIN maybe besides the tag on the door or side front or metal plate on frame tongue would be called the non public location. Some call it the secret VIN. That is the wrong name. Being non public it should not be disclosed. If you cannot find the VIN the state troopers or DMV or some police depts. will find it. You can get the VIN from reading the axle numbers and phoning Dexter. By having ALL vehicles sold in the USA, including RVs having a non public numbers helps recover stolen vehicles.

chuckster57
12-14-2016, 08:35 PM
I don't know that axle tags count. What if we change them?

On edit: let's say my Al Ko axles need to be replaced. I'm well past warranty, so we order a set of Dexter's. to my knowledge the VIN of the unit they are being installed on isn't part of the order. I will check tomorrow to be sure. Warranty replacement may be different, but all we are required to do is submit a picture with the original axle tag and the axle cut in half to prevent use on another unit.

Ken / Claudia
12-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Axle tags are a source for a VIN. As a vehicle part That is traceable to the original vehicle. Same as the engine, transmission, air bags etc. on many vehicles. As a part they can be replaced. So as a officer investigating, in this case you would know brand and length of trailer and about the year built by style etc. You run the axle numbers and it comes up with nothing or say a trailer much different than you have you would know they have been replaced. Been there done that with boats and auto's.

xrated
12-15-2016, 01:17 PM
I'm kind of late to the game but, I just got home and went out and checked mine (2017 Impact 303) and there is a stamped metal tag on the A Frame arm (driver's side) and it's riveted to the frame....just about even with the battery tray.

JimQ
12-16-2016, 12:33 PM
The location for any other places the VIN maybe besides the tag on the door or side front or metal plate on frame tongue would be called the non public location. Some call it the secret VIN. That is the wrong name. Being non public it should not be disclosed. If you cannot find the VIN the state troopers or DMV or some police depts. will find it. You can get the VIN from reading the axle numbers and phoning Dexter. By having ALL vehicles sold in the USA, including RVs having a non public numbers helps recover stolen vehicles.

Its called a CVIN (confidential vin) and yes they are in various locations on frames and major parts.

chuckster57
12-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Its called a CVIN (confidential vin) and yes they are in various locations on frames and major parts.
I've been stem to stern on a whole bunch of trailers, underneath with the entire underbelly off, if it's on the frame it must be in magic marker invisible ink.

Ken / Claudia
12-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Yes, confidential location works. We had a problem with that in court and the DA advised use the term non public. A longer story goes along with that.