PDA

View Full Version : 30amp plug

rcwyatt
12-03-2016, 07:44 AM
Changing my rv from umbilical to plug on the electrical hookup. Has anyone used just a female plug rather than the weatherproof cover?

JRTJH
12-03-2016, 08:50 AM
If you install a female plug on your RV, you'll need to install a male plug on the end of your "campsite hookup cable" that plugs into your RV's "female plug". That would require you to have "exposed bare electrical connectors" that would be live if anyone tripped over your shore power cable or if a child pulled it out of your RV. Having live, bare pins on the end of an electrical cable is a significant hazard and might become a "death trap" to some unsuspecting person.

I'd advise against it.

Outback 325BH
12-03-2016, 08:54 AM
^^ This.

You'll want to use the correct receptacle meant for this.

I'm not familiar with the 30 amp version, but I suspect it is a twist-lock inlet similar to the 50 amp version.

The cord that would connect to it would be female and would not allow you to kill yourself when the other end was plugged into the pedestal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrated
12-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Changing my rv from umbilical to plug on the electrical hookup. Has anyone used just a female plug rather than the weatherproof cover?

rcwyatt.........DO NOT do this. As explained above, one of the more dangerous things that you could do electrically........anywhere. Buy the housing that has a "male plug) inside it and is fitted with a weatherproof cover. I had that same setup on my enclosed trailer for probably 5 years without any issues whatsoever. Probably the only difference was that mine was a 4 prong twistlock setup for hooking into my Yamaha 6300 generator.

rcwyatt
12-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I have the male outlet to install on the camper. I am wanting to know if anyone have used just a female twist lock connector without the weather head cover on the cable.