PDA

View Full Version : solar panel

tinman50
12-02-2016, 05:13 PM
I own a 2016 impact 311 toy hauler. we do a lot of dry camping and was interested in solar charging for my batterys the system the dealers wanted to sell me was a four panel 100 watt system that retails for 699.!!! i found a single panel on amazon for 190. Of course the stock plug was not compatible with the cable that came with the panel. I fount a two pronged trailer connector for 8 bucks and replaced the original connector on the trailer and cable and now i have a system that will charge my batteries at 150 watts and 14 volts as long as there is the least amount of light available. i also built a bracket so i can move it as needed. total cost about 200 bucks.

chuckster57
12-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Good deal. Having the ability to move where the sun is shining is an added bonus. Looks like a "Go power" panel.

rjsurfer
12-03-2016, 03:08 AM
Unfortunately even a 150 watt system (and with what controller?) is nothing more than a glorified trickle charger which is fine as long as you understand its limitations. That setup will allow you to run some small inverters and maybe a 19" TV for an hour or so and replenish those lost watts in a full day of sunshine. But if your also running your onboard propane heater, fridge and water heater on gas, lights, water pump, propane detector etc along with them there are not enough hours in the day to make that up with a single panel.

That 4 panel setup for $699 is not that bad a deal if it includes the controller, wires and mounts. And I'm sorry to say even that wouldn't be enough in many situations, like cloudy rainy days and shaded campsites.

I have 700 watts of solar and 4 T105's and even that's not enough sometimes, running the generator is a given. Of course it may be for only an hour to get back the lost wattage but whether I run the genny for an hour or for five hours I don't like the noise.

Ron W

spokedintheeye
12-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Good deal for $200. I have 140w of solar panels and have never gone below 80 percent charge (2 × 6v)even on some of the foggiest days. (5 days fog on Whitby Island a few years back). But we are very careful with power use. No TV no stereo and limited heater use. I've never had a generator.

Sent by me

tinman50
12-04-2016, 07:43 PM
i have a digital volt meter i installed in my switch panel with the batteries showing 11.9 volts it took 45 min. to charge ton13.3 on a partly cloudy day so the system works like i hoped it would. saves fuel for the side by side.

srvnt
12-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Nice . gotta look into solar.

mikell
12-12-2016, 04:47 PM
I have 200 watts on the roof that work great. Right now they have about 6" of snow so it's a good thing the rigs plugged in.

Mounted this in the wall to keep an eye on things and to have a charging station..

https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Waterproof-Charger-Voltmeter-Motorcycle/dp/B01DXG2V6I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1481589934&sr=8-9&keywords=rv+usb+outlet

Rick
12-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Tinman50,
I originally went the same route as you (a single panel on a bracket on the ground). That lasted about a year. I finally got tired of lugging it in and out of the trailer, possibly breaking it (either by having it knocked over by wind, someone tripping on the cord or just bad handling), having to move it (angle and direction) constantly to face the sun so it'd get max sunlight, or having it walk off while I was gone. Ended up mounting it on the roof. Yes, it's not the best angle for sun, but I don't have to worry about it anymore. Plus, any direction I'm parked is perfect for my panel.

If you decide to mount it on the roof, think about your mounting brackets. The type that lift so you can adjust the angle towards the sun are great, but you have to be camped in a place where parking direction isn't an issue (like the desert). If you camp in areas where the parking is predetermined (RV park, etc.), you basically have a 1 in 4 chance of the panel(s) facing the correct direction. If you're not facing south, you'll just end up laying it flat anyways.

Rick