PDA

View Full Version : Tow/Haul and Downshifting

coachtrav
05-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Hello all,

I have a 2011 Ram 1500. As is on most vehicles there is a tow/haul option. I was wondering if most or all of you use this when towing. I didn't use it on my last truck (2004 Avalanche) but now I have a new TT and am considering the option. Advantages or disadvantages.

Also was wondering if anyone uses the +/- paddle for downshifting when going down hills or up I guess. This is a new option for me and I don't know much about it. I have done it manually on my old TV when going down big hills so as to help in slowing/stopping.

Any advice as to how you all go about using these options would be appreciated.

CampDestinations.com
05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Tow/Haul will change the shift points of your automatic trans so that engine makes it into higher RPMs when towing. The popular engines in the 1500 models don't make most of their horsepower and torque until the 3000+ RPM range. In my case, a chevy 5.3, I need to be north of 4000 RPMs before the peak torque shows up.

As for the +/- shifting - I think Chrysler calls that "AutoStick"? Have had it in a few cars, and did find it helpful to manually override the auto trans from time to time, particularly when I needed the power to pass but didn't want to slam the pedal to the floor to engage the kickdown. I think you could probably make some use of it while towing up/down hills or helping to slow your rig as you approach a stoplight, but it's not necessary.

coachtrav
05-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Campdestinations.com How do you like your air lift air springs? I am considering.

CampDestinations.com
05-04-2011, 10:07 AM
The AirLift springs were well worth the money and time to install. They were very reasonable in cost, at about $100, and took me roughly 90 minutes to install.

They add rigidity to rear, and help keep things level. The Reese Hitch does a good job, but the rear on these trucks are so soft-sprung that they give easy without some sort of supplement.

The marketing says they add about 1000 lbs of capacity - don't pay attention to that - use them for what they are to help keep things from bottoming out, but don't overload!

jq1031
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Hello all,

I have a 2011 Ram 1500. As is on most vehicles there is a tow/haul option. I was wondering if most or all of you use this when towing. I didn't use it on my last truck (2004 Avalanche) but now I have a new TT and am considering the option. Advantages or disadvantages.

Also was wondering if anyone uses the +/- paddle for downshifting when going down hills or up I guess. This is a new option for me and I don't know much about it. I have done it manually on my old TV when going down big hills so as to help in slowing/stopping.

You got some good answers from the other comments. The manuel shift option +/- will help alot if you ever find yourself decending a 5 or 6% grade like those in AZ, NV & UT.

Jim W
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Hello all,

HI,
My first question to you is what model of transmission do you have in the truck?

I have a diesel and my transmission is the 68RFE, which has an overdrive (5th gear) and a double overdrive gear (6th gear). I also have tow/haul and a factory exhaust brake as standard.
When I operate my truck in the city, either towing or not towing the tow/haul is off and 5th and 6th gear are locked out. Engine will lug at 1200 RPMS when in 6th gear.
On the high way at 60 mph towing on flat land the tow/haul is locked out and I will use 5th and 6th gear. When I drive in the mountains tow/haul is engaged, I will lock out 6th gear. My EGT's will climb above 1000F and engine is cruising at 1500 rpm's. In 5th gear the RPM's are around 2000 at 60 MPH and the EGT's are around 600 to 800 F.
I also believe in what gear you go up the mountains in, that is the same gear that you go down in. Never shift up or down you could have a runaway truck because you are free wheeling and can not get it back into gear.
I learn on a manual transmission and this still applies to an automatic too.
Jim W.

cumminsdad08
05-04-2011, 12:50 PM
i always use it. no matter how heavy i get the trailers. it shifts nicer and helps on hills up and down

chuck&gail
05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
When towing I just turn tow/haul on and leave it on.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I have a 2011 RAM 3500 and use the tow/haul 90% of the time when towing. I will turn it off when driving across flats, like Nebraska for instance so it will run at a lower RPM.

bennydog
05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I have a 2007 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi with the tow /haul / OD off button.
From the manual OD off prevents the transmission from shifting into 5th. Tow /Haul prevents the transmission from shifting into 4th and 5th and does change the shift points (page 313 in my book). I use both modes depending on the road. As an aside I just this morning installed a K&N cool air intake and an Edge evolution engine tuner which has a specific program for towing. I have collected some before stats and after I have a chance to run with the trailer I'll let everyone know if they have were worth the money. One thing I do get with the Edge are some additional real time monitoring which I have selected to be transmission and oil temp which should help me know how hard the truck is working.

THedges
05-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Use the Tow/Haul, it's what it's made for. Use the +/- if your tranny is shifting back and forth between gears too often when towing in mountain grades.

Johnnyfry
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I was told (correctly or incorrectly) that I should always be using the Tow/haul mode in my 2006 3500 Dodge Ram Cummins Auto trans.

To date I have done it this way and mileage/performance has seemed to bear this out. Judging from the responses on the thread I might try switching out on long flat stretches.

GMcKenzie
05-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I was told (correctly or incorrectly) that I should always be using the Tow/haul mode in my 2006 3500 Dodge Ram Cummins Auto trans.

To date I have done it this way and mileage/performance has seemed to bear this out. Judging from the responses on the thread I might try switching out on long flat stretches.

While mine is a GMC, I only switch out of tow/haul if I find I'm not shifting to 5th on the flat. Once in 5th, I turn tow/haul back on (and it stays in 5th).

Truck does not want to shift into 5th until about 110kmh and I try to run around 100 for mileage, but it will stay in 5th at 100 once I get it there.

Bob Landry
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Tow/Haul changes the shift points on the trannie to keep it in the lower gears longer. I'm not sure how muvh benefit that is. I guess it would depend on if you think your engine revs high enough to develop pulling power before shifting.
I have T/H on my Tundra and quit using it because it seemed to keep the engine at a constant higher RPM than I thought it should be, and it causeed it to downshift if there was a bug in the road. Now I use Select and lock out 6th gear. I'll pull 8000lbs all day, 60MPH@2000RPM and nothing overheats and it seldom downshifts. It works for me. YMMV.

hankaye
05-10-2011, 06:04 AM
GMcKenzie, Howdy;

While mine is a GMC, I only switch out of tow/haul if I find I'm not shifting to 5th on the flat. Once in 5th, I turn tow/haul back on (and it stays in 5th).

Truck does not want to shift into 5th until about 110kmh and I try to run around 100 for mileage, but it will stay in 5th at 100 once I get it there.

I was starting to think that something must be terriable wrong with your truck, or maybe it didn't have a 5th gear as it wasn't kicking in till you got it to 110 :eek:!!! then I re-read it and saw the "kmh"... :o . Boy are my face red.

Guess it pays to read something a few times before jumping to a conclusion...

hankaye

coachtrav
05-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys...great advice. Memorial Day is the first trip with the two new vehicles. Can't wait.

GMcKenzie
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
GMcKenzie, Howdy;

I was starting to think that something must be terriable wrong with your truck, or maybe it didn't have a 5th gear as it wasn't kicking in till you got it to 110 :eek:!!! then I re-read it and saw the "kmh"... :o . Boy are my face red.

Guess it pays to read something a few times before jumping to a conclusion...

hankaye

Crap. I've had my truck to 160 and had my last trailer to 140 once (I was mad at a guy who sped up at a passing lane going uphill in the Kootneys, not a bright hting to do).