PDA

View Full Version : RV business up

gearhead
11-29-2016, 10:30 AM
CNBC reporting RV sales up 13% this year. More expected next year.
Thor CEO to be interviewed tonight, 11/29/16, on CNBC at 6pm eastern.
Thor posted record profits. Stock up 330% over last few years.

Desert185
11-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Many more businesses are going to be up during the next few years. 🎉🇺🇸👍🏻

gearhead
11-29-2016, 03:00 PM
I think so.
It's looking better than I even thought it would be.

BOWWOW
11-29-2016, 05:06 PM
CNBC reporting RV sales up 13% this year. More expected next year.
Thor CEO to be interviewed tonight, 11/29/16, on CNBC at 6pm eastern.
Thor posted record profits. Stock up 330% over last few years.

I hope there was 13% more campsites built as well.

MissJordan
11-29-2016, 05:12 PM
I definitely can see the fluctuation of newer RVs in my area. It's a great family activity! Plus extended financing options make it affordable for most people to buy new or newer vs. an older camper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrated
11-29-2016, 05:48 PM
The dealership that we bought our new T.H. from in late October had already sold almost 1100 units since the first of the year.....10 months and almost 1100 sold! Wow!

theallde
12-01-2016, 08:52 PM

I agreee, nobody is building campgrounds to meet the demands. Summer spaces are becoming hard to find without reservations.

rjsurfer
12-02-2016, 03:02 AM
That's one reason I'm doing more and more to be self sufficient when it comes to extra batteries and solar. No way am I even thinking about a larger camper, staying small helps when it come to finding spots. On a number of occasions I have been told that a particular campground is full but when I mention my rig is only 25' all of a sudden spots are available.

Large holding tanks help as well, my small 5th wheel has 60 gallons fresh, 76 grey and 38 black. When we were looking at new smallish campers none of them had large tanks, especially 1/2 ton versions.

In a few years boondocking will be key to finding places to camp, unless of course you can plan WAY ahead and reserve 6 months in advance.

Ron W

Desert185
12-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Living in NV, I'm enjoying the boondocking, toy hauler experience to explore mines, ghost towns and generally enjoying the remoteness.

I just bought a water bladder and pump to replenish the water supply when boondocking for extended periods. The GC batts and two, 2K gens work quite well for this scenario, as does the tank capacity of our SRX. I really like having a garage for more flexibility than just carrying a toy.

I just hope the enroute, overnight availability of parks for interstate travel doesn't become an issue. We aren't fans of Walmart parking lots.

JRTJH
12-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Living in NV, I'm enjoying the boondocking, toy hauler experience to explore mines, ghost towns and generally enjoying the remoteness.

I just bought a water bladder and pump to replenish the water supply when boondocking for extended periods. The GC batts and two, 2K gens work quite well for this scenario, as does the tank capacity of our SRX. I really like having a garage for more flexibility than just carrying a toy.

I just hope the enroute, overnight availability of parks for interstate travel doesn't become an issue. We aren't fans of Walmart parking lots.

Most of our local trips are to either state forest campgrounds (no services) or to State/National forest areas where "boondocking" in areas where there is no formal campground is available. We thoroughly enjoy finding a small lake with good fishing, no campground but a couple of remote, level places. We set up camp, catch our own supper, relax without traffic, sirens or "people noises" and make the best of the "free camping"..... We have several "chosen spots" that we try to spend time each year in those "definitely out of the way, remote places.

I've been in contact with two "campground chains" (Jellystone Campgrounds and KOA) corporate offices suggesting that they develop a few "test site" locations where they offer "reduced service pull through sites" for overnight travelers. I suggested the sites be long enough to not require unhitching, have full hookups and a picnic table. Other amenities aren't required, just a place to pull into easily, hookup if needed and a place to sit outside while "stretching/unwinding" before a few hours sleep and a quick, easy departure. Both say they've considered it and some of their campgrounds do offer such sites. Neither of them address the availability (or even the concept) in their "campground directory"......... Maybe if more people asked for the service ????? <hint hint> :)

CaptnJohn
12-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Not from what I read. A few sites are added to existing CGs. Many requests for permits or zoning for new CGs and added sites are being declined. Some CGs have been sold to developers for other purposes. Some CGs have purchased permanent models to rent and eliminated available sites. My 'guess' is there are fewer sites available today than just a few years ago.

BOWWOW
12-02-2016, 03:23 PM
This is what I thought would happen especially in Colorado . So many more residents and new RV's in almost every backyard or driveway.
I just sold my motorhome.
I am now camperless and looking for a warmer climate to live in.
I think that the used RV market is going to flood.
I camped near Taylor Park res in July this year and it was so cramped, like a little city. Now that Cottonwood pass will be closed for 2 years for paving, widening, straightening curves and taking out hills other areas will be overrun.
When it does open in 2019 it will be like an RV racetrack.
Lookout Crested Butte!

chuckster57
12-02-2016, 05:40 PM
I can say our sales this last month are way up from last year, and not just entry level units. Got 4 in PDI that retail for 6 figures. Our service department is 5 weeks out for appointments, last year same time- 1-2 days out.

B-O-B'03
12-02-2016, 07:34 PM
... Now that Cottonwood pass will be closed for 2 years for paving, widening, straightening curves and taking out hills other areas will be overrun.
When it does open in 2019 it will be like an RV racetrack.
Lookout Crested Butte!

Man, that is too bad :(

We camped in the Collegiate Peaks camp ground, the end of May a year ago and the Cottonwood had just opened... the snow bank, on either side of it, was higher than the wife's F150 and there was no one there... it was awesome.

We drove over the pass and it snowed on us down near the lake.. no one there either.

Gettin' harder and harder to find places to "get away from it all"

-Brian

Ken / Claudia
12-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Here in Oregon they added a whole new state park/campground a couple years ago. Said was the first new in many many years. Ft. Stevens has added camp sites and other state parks also. Many now have added yurts and little cabins about 12x16. Part of the state lottery profits must go the state parks. RV registration for a Oregon resident is based on how long. My current tlr costs 190 for 2 years compared to a auto at 86 for 2 years. All that extra money is supposed to go only to state parks. They still charge under 30 a day to stay a night. The KOA near Ft Stevens, the last I checked was over 50 a night. This is one thing I feel the state of Oregon is doing right. And of course the state does have a large tourist crowd in the spring and summer. All OK by me.

sourdough
12-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Here's a little clip from Fox about the RV industry. It is with the head of Airstream but the numbers quoted are from Thor. Looks like we need some of those "shovel ready" jobs for RV parks when the new administration starts building up the infrastructure!!

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5228053580001/#sp=show-clips

(may have to copy and paste?)