PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze on toilet bowl

SRD
11-28-2016, 04:33 PM
I winterized my TT and was told to leave some antifreeze in the bowl to protect the seals. So that's what I did but after a day or two there is none in the bowl.I have done this probably three times still no antifreeze. I am getting mixed reviews on what to do.This is a new Passport, so I want to do what is right. Any advice?

spdracr39
11-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Sounds like the seal on the toilet is leaking. If it is new it would be a warranty issue.

SLIMSHADIE
11-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Mine holds antifreeze, you need a new seal. Seen it in a video once, didnt look to hard to replace seal.

JRTJH
11-28-2016, 06:23 PM
It's definitely a leaking bowl seal. I'm guessing your toilet is a Dometic (Sea Land) brand. There are two possibilities, first is that the seal needs to be "reseated and molded" There is a specific procedure to reseat the seal on the flange, after which you'll need to pour a pan full of hot water into the bowl and let it cool. That will "mold the seal" allowing it to fit better, stopping the leak.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to replace the seal with a new one and repeat the hot water molding.

Since you've already winterized your trailer, I wouldn't guess you want to pour water into your black tank risking damage from freezing damage from that added water. So, if you can't dump your black tank to rid it of the pan of water, I wouldn't do anything until spring.

If you're warranty will still be in force in the spring, I'd contact the dealership and make an appointment for early spring to have them fix the toilet. Keep in mind that spring is their busiest season, so it might be just as easy to do the fix yourself and if that doesn't work, see if the dealer will give you the seal so you can replace it yourself. Even if he won't give you the seal, cost is only about $15.

The first step, I think, would be to reseat the seal (wear gloves) and do the hot water remold. Chances are that will fix your leak.

ADDED: The instructions on how to reseat and to use hot water to mold the seal are in the owner's manual for the toilet.

gkainz
11-28-2016, 09:03 PM
While you're waiting to repair or replace the seal, pour some antifreeze in a sandwich sized ziplock and set it on top the blade. Will seal it up until you can work on it.

MikeD3534
11-29-2016, 06:59 PM
I wonder if RV antifreeze couldn't be heated in order to perform the remolding instead of a pan full of hot water?

Elk4me
12-13-2016, 06:11 PM
I wonder if RV antifreeze couldn't be heated in order to perform the remolding instead of a pan full of hot water?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work and it would help the keep the black water valve seal lubricated as well.

Lee
12-14-2016, 06:21 AM

One word of caution: Anti-freeze is also anti-boil. We all know water will boil at 212* Anti-freeze will boil at a much higher temp. Don't heat it up to much and melt the seal.

hankpage
12-14-2016, 09:17 AM
If the bowl is cold, hot water can crack the porcelain. Be careful if temps are extreme. JM2¢, Hank