PDA

View Full Version : Tv reception

SRD
11-27-2016, 11:10 AM
We just purchased our Passport 19rb and living in Central Indiana,we didn't have a lot of time to use the camper before the cold weather set in. Anyhow the one time we took it out we used our furnace. Watching some tv,every time the furnace would come on the tv reception was lost. We usually don't watch tv while camping,but still would like to know if that's just they way it is or can something be do to remedy that.Did have the antenna booster on

Tbos
11-27-2016, 02:22 PM
I don't think I have this issue. I wonder if there is a noisy ground somewhere in the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spdracr39
11-28-2016, 04:46 PM
My reception is bad when our ceiling fan is running.

xrated
11-28-2016, 05:01 PM
I may be mistaken, but it seems to me like there are filters that can be installed to help eliminate "noise" in the power circuit.

gearhead
11-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Take it back to the dealer.

Irish Mist
11-29-2016, 04:57 AM
Mine does the same. I know I have a weak battery I am thinking the 12 volt fan on the furnace steals power from the booster and the signal gets weak. The best fix is head south so you don't need to use furnace anymore :)

Barbell
12-02-2016, 05:03 AM
When using the antenna for over the air reception, ours cuts out when any ceiling light is turned on.

JRTJH
12-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Here's one possible cause for the TV reception problem: All of the RF cables (co-ax) are "shielded" with a metal wrap under the plastic covering. Under that is a "woven wire fabric" covering over a "plastic tube" through which a "single copper wire" carries the "antenna signal" from the TV antenna to the booster and from there to each TV.

The terminal connectors on each "run" of RF cable must be properly installed, shielded and tightly connected for the maximum signal to be transmitted through the connections. If the metal wrap is not in place, if the woven wire is not "properly grounded" or if the "single copper wire" is not long enough to insert into the female part of the connector, or if any of these three parts are touching each other, there's a possibility that "interference" from any electric motor or IC circuit (in an LED light, etc) could emit a "competing RV signal" and cause interference into the cable.

So, as "cheaply produced" as our RV's are, it's no surprise that the RV cables in the walls are "not the highest quality". When being pulled through the walls, connected on the assembly line and stored in a "less than ideal environment" (on an RV lot with people playing with them), it's very likely that the RF cable ends can be damaged, disconnected and not properly reconnected (loose) or they may not have ever been assembled correctly when being manufactured in China.

Check each of your RF cables, look carefully at the end to be sure the copper wire in the center is the proper length, that the cable connector is properly installed on the cable and crimped properly. If in doubt, a trip to WalMart for a replacement cable (only buy one or two) might solve your problem. Replace one length of cable, if it doesn't change the problem, that cable was probably good, so use it to replace the next length of cable and keep going until you find the "bad cable/connector".

There shouldn't be any signal degradation when the furnace fan runs or when you turn on an overhead light. If there is, it's more than likely "RF interference being introduced into the cable at a bad connector.

Almost always a "challenge" (spelled PITA) to find, but usually worth the effort to not miss that special part of a movie or the "game winning play" during the best game of the year......