PDA

View Full Version : Another reason for enough truck

Ken / Claudia
11-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Was Elk hunting a 9 day trip. We decided on me taking my truck as backup. Buddies truck is 04 f350 and trailer 2000 keystone 30ft. toy hauler. He said is around 10,000lbs. At the 200 mile point his truck was maybe having injector problems. It had black smoke when pushing down throttle and short on power.
We hook up my truck for the miles of 6% upgrade and same down after. Everything worked correctly before pulling out of fuel station. At about 30 miles the trailer brakes quit working. Tried to fix them but couldn't. We could not find what was wrong. I tested how well I could stop with just truck brakes in a parking area. Yes it was longer but, did stop and 20 and 30 mph. Maybe 40 miles to next city and all down hill. Roads dry, temps 40s. I drove at 40-50 up grade and than down in a 65 speed zone. Buddy following with flashers on when traffic approached. Not much other traffic. At those speeds I never needed to brake at all until freeway off ramp. I slowed way early before the stop sign. Never had smelly brakes or brake fade.
We than found that the e brake wires were fried and had shorted on the frame. A 12 dollar fix with a new e brake wire/cable kit.
Would I have done that at max towing CGVR with any vehicle. NO. Or any snow/ice on road would be a no go without trailer brakes. That would have been a big towing bill but, likely necessity. I felt with caution after testing it would work and did without any white knuckle driving.

Tbos
11-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Glad you were able to help out and get everyone and their rig home safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
11-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Sounds like quite an adventure.

Murphsmom
11-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Did you get your elk?

Desert185
11-27-2016, 03:02 PM
I had trailer brakes fail. Checked from the front fuse box all the way back. Seemed like good fuse, wiring, etc., but the problem was the bed plug wire loom. Disconnected the bed plug and used the plug below the bumper...and success. The shop who sold me the adapter traded me a new one after a year had passed. They get more of my future business.

Not a comfortable feeling with no trailer brakes. Was glad to have an exhaust brake and good TV brakes. Glad it worked out for you.

Jetfixer03
11-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Other than feel, did you get an indication of the brake failure on the instrumentation? I have an f150 with the integrated brake controller, wondering if the brake input indication would reflect a malfunction at the brakes themselves. I'm guessing no.

Ken / Claudia
11-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Sorry about not mentioning, No elk after many a long days. Seeing them and being able to get a shot do not always happen. On 1 day I hiked around 16 miles. That was to much at 60 years old at 4,000 ft. with 25lbs of gear.
How I realized No trailer brakes. As I was going uphill, I looked down at the controller and it was flashing .N C. as in not connected. Normal is .C. and numbers display if braking. I have a aftermarket brake controller.