PDA

View Full Version : Led awning light strip

SRD
11-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Just purchased a Passport Elite 19rb. We like this camper a lot except for the awning light.It is just way to bright. What can be done to make it more useable with out having to rewire my NEW travel trailer. Any ideas would be helpful

ctbruce
11-22-2016, 04:20 AM
I turn mine off when not wanted. I've used it both ways and just depends on my mood. It is easier to find the beer cooler with it on I have found.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

jmak
11-22-2016, 06:21 AM
They are bright and when camping in Big Bend being so remote I found that several of our neighbors had theirs on and was very distracting when trying to enjoy looking up and seeing the stars.

I am personally not a fan of that much light unless you need to see for example getting a beer out of the cooler or hearing something and wanting to check to make sure everything is ok.

SRD
11-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks to the members who replied to the awning light issue I have. I also use my in have to cases, but I would have been happier with an amber porch light. Considering buying a solar light to use instead. Thanks again for your replies

chuckster57
11-22-2016, 01:14 PM
The only way to dim the LED strip is with an LED compatible dimmer. My truck has 5 gauges on the pillar with LED lighting. They are Autometer brand and I bought the dimmer for them. Maybe call Autometer and ask if they think it might work.

xrated
11-22-2016, 05:27 PM
I was going to say that there are LED specific dimmers out there, but it sounds like a crap shoot to know if the one that you buy will work with a certain set of LEDs.

24v
11-23-2016, 04:25 AM
What about some white electrical tape? Or even colored possibly depending on the brightness and the tape you use. Just cover the strip, or try covering every other led maybe?

spdracr39
11-24-2016, 05:09 AM
I use rope lights along the ground under the trailer for my ambient lighting outside.

hdxbonez
11-26-2016, 04:20 AM
My LED awning light was operated on a single switch along with the amber porch light. Fortunately, they were both terminated in the wall mount control panel, so it was easy to add another switch and control them independently. I also find the LED to be much too bright most of the time