PDA

View Full Version : Destin, FL Recommendations

bsmith0404
11-15-2016, 05:07 AM
We will be headed for Destin, FL next summer. Will be the DW, I and 3 teenagers. I've been to Destin many years ago, but stayed at Eglin AFB so never took the RV. Looking for good places to camp as well as entertainment suggestions for 15, 17, and 18 year olds. Keep in mind we have a 40' 5er, I've seen a few nice RV parks, but many seem to be limited to 35'.

Moomba80
11-15-2016, 07:15 AM
Destin West RV REsort. New And Nice.

dhn
11-15-2016, 08:00 AM
This is not Destin but just a few miles away in Gulf Shores, AL. We stayed at Sugar Sands RV Resort in June. It's not on the beach but just a short drive to the beach. We got a weekly rate that was cheaper than Gulf State Park that is close by. Both are nice parks. My kids are 18 and 21 and they enjoyed the pool, game room, Wi-Fi and cable TV. We drove through the state park, it was clean and well kept with the normal State Park activities for the kids. The pool at the State Park was crowded when we were there in the middle of the day.

We enjoyed Pensacola Navel Air Station, home of the Blue Angels. The day we were there they were practicing. The lighthouse across the street was also cool. As you probably already know you will need ID to get on base.

There are also lots of old Forts along the coast. Dauphin Island has The Estuarium Aquarium.

Have not stayed around Destin in a long time. Hope these help.

http://sugarsandsrvresort.com/
http://www.alapark.com/gulf-state-park
http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
http://www.disl.org/estuarium/

notanlines
11-15-2016, 12:45 PM
We met friends at Geronimo RV resort about 5 miles east of Destin. Nice enough, nothing to write home about, but a fair price for fair accommodations. Gulf Shores/Orange beach is a nice area, but keep in mind that you are about 2 hours west of Destin. (Unless you're driving late at night)

CaptTony
11-24-2016, 09:43 AM
The best in Destin in my opinion is Topsail Hill State preserve. Concrete slabs, full Hookups, lots of room and things to do. Tram to the beach too. Reserve america will tell you the rest,

bsmith0404
11-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Topsail looks decent, but nothing available for the dates we need. I also like the looks of Live Oak Landing, but the kids are saying it's too far from the beach. I refuse to pay the price that they want in Destin, especially Camp Gulf...$125 per day. I don't like the paved parking lots in the middle of town, I prefer something wooded, but I may lose the battle on this one.

JRTJH
11-24-2016, 03:18 PM
Pensacola NAS fam camp has "on the water" sites and "off the water sites". All are within walking distance of the swim beach. Reservations are available, the Naval Aviation Museum is "right there" as are Eglin and Hulbert Field, both of which also have fam camps, but they aren't 'on the water".

Hulbert is $20 a night, Eglin is $23 and NAS sites are $23 "off the water" and $26 for waterfront sites. All have full hookups and free WIFi/digital cable TV. Destin is 3 miles away from Eglin/Hulbert and about 10 to NAS.

larry337
11-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Another vote for Topsail, we go every year in October.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
11-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Pensacola NAS fam camp has "on the water" sites and "off the water sites". All are within walking distance of the swim beach. Reservations are available, the Naval Aviation Museum is "right there" as are Eglin and Hulbert Field, both of which also have fam camps, but they aren't 'on the water".

Hulbert is $20 a night, Eglin is $23 and NAS sites are $23 "off the water" and $26 for waterfront sites. All have full hookups and free WIFi/digital cable TV. Destin is 3 miles away from Eglin/Hulbert and about 10 to NAS.

I've been looking at those as well. Wasn't sure if they were full hookup or not. Thanks for the update. I love fam camps, as long as they aren't doing night flying. I stayed at Ft McCoy once, beautiful fam camp, but they were doing night maneuvers and artillery all night, the animals didn't like that at all.

JRTJH
11-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Here's the website for NAS Oak Grove famcamp: http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/florida/oak-grove-park-and-cottages

Of the three, I prefer this one best. There's no formal children's activities, but with bikes, fishing rods and a pack of frozen shrimp, if your kids are like mine were, you won't see them until they're either hungry, sunburned, filled the bike basket with fish or run out of bait LOL

Movin' on
11-26-2016, 05:13 AM
We've only stayed at Destin once a couple years ago. We spent a week at Henderson Beach State Park for a week before heading west for the rest of the winter. I do remember some spots that would accommodate larger rigs. We enjoyed our stay there, but it was just the two of us. The younger ones may or may not get bored.

Anyway, thought I'd just mention another place to check out. :)

bsmith0404
11-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Thank you. Been looking at that as well. I will say the parks down there, for the most part, are not quick to respond to requests for information. For me that is usually a sign of what is to come customer service wise and I avoid them.

weaselz
11-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Henderson is great, but hard to reserve. If you don't mind a 10 minute ride to the beach, Rocky Bayou is great. Right on the backside of Destin bay.

Barbell
11-30-2016, 04:07 PM
Destin Army Infantry Fam Camp is a good one if you are eligible for military campgrounds. It will be a little tight for a big rig but take it easy and you will be fine. We were there in January so have no idea what it will be like in summer.

Mikey
01-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Little late to post but we stayed at Pensacola Beach campground. It's a little pricey, but first rate. Pool, right on the water(Bayside), and walking distance from Quietwater boardwalk and several nice restaurants. We really enjoyed it and would be closer to Destin than Gulf Shores area. Either way, safe travels and have fun!

Happy trails and safe travels!

MBD
01-26-2017, 06:14 PM
I recognize that Camp Gulf can get expensive - however, we have stayed there several times. There are different price points depending on the distance of your site to the water. Depending on what your planned activities are, it can't get any better than Camp Gulf if you want to be on the beach.

The wife and I checked out Top Sail - it would be a great second choice for us. The only problem being that you can't get in there.

papi
03-26-2017, 08:57 PM
I just make reservations at Camp gulf for July. I didn't like the price but I know my family and my self would enjoy having the ocean so close. I hope it is as good as it looks.