PDA

View Full Version : How to protect roof from trees?

Jas1234on
11-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Was wondering with toy hauler 13.5 feet tall....how do you guys keep the roof safe. Is there something you can buy? Or is it you simply just need to watch and maneuver around them. Or prune to get through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BOWWOW
11-13-2016, 05:42 PM
I carry a 10 inch electric pole chainsaw, Fire up the generator and do what I need to do.

Desert185
11-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Handy...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-20-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Li-ion-8-in-Cordless-Electric-Pole-Saw/3381638

Jas1234on
11-14-2016, 05:18 AM
Handy...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-20-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Li-ion-8-in-Cordless-Electric-Pole-Saw/3381638

Nice!

Murphsmom
11-14-2016, 07:41 AM
That may work if you are boondocking, but I'm pretty sure there would be trouble if you tried it in a state park, national park or a private RV park.

Desert185
11-14-2016, 07:56 AM
That may work if you are boondocking, but I'm pretty sure there would be trouble if you tried it in a state park, national park or a private RV park.

Like anything in life, actions require judgment and common sense. :)

Jas1234on
11-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks! Just did. Not know if something was out there. These roofs seem fragile. Thank again!!

roadglide
11-15-2016, 05:41 AM
I was in Oregon st park last month that had some limbs touching my rig. I contacted a ranger he trimmed the branches . The conversation ended with its against the law with a fine if I had cut any limbs from St park trees. My copilot Darling fiancee is ground control. I have found out trees are my biggest problem.

JRTJH
11-15-2016, 07:36 AM
As far as I know, there's no "bolt on, clamp on, glue on" type device to protect the roof or any of the items mounted on the roof. The only protection the roof and "all that plastic stuff" have going for them is vigilance. The OP is right, the roof seems (and is) fragile. One "brush against a little limb" when towing into a campground is all it takes to crush a refrigerator vent or gouge a "foot long rip" in the TPO membrane.

So, if there's any question about clearance, get out and check, have someone watch as you maneuver around the area and/or contact the park owner/manager for help. As stated, in many states, it's illegal to cut, trim or "endanger" (whatever that means) any tree or bush.

If you do happen to "brush against a tree limb" it's a wise idea to get up on the roof and inspect for damage, no matter how small and insignificant the limb may appear to be. I've seen 1/4" "twigs" get tangled in the TV antenna and pull it completely off the roof.

BOWWOW
11-15-2016, 03:29 PM
I was in Oregon st park last month that had some limbs touching my rig. I contacted a ranger he trimmed the branches . The conversation ended with its against the law with a fine if I had cut any limbs from St park trees. My copilot Darling fiancee is ground control. I have found out trees are my biggest problem.

Maybe now the question should be, Which is more the fine or your insurance or extended warranty deductible?:D

Cbrez
11-16-2016, 05:33 PM
My son and daughter both worked for First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, VA. All complaints regarding roof, slide and awning clearance are quickly taken care of by park personnel. Guests cannot cut live growth, but they can. Great park, great people.