PDA

View Full Version : Winter camping in toy hauler

ajohnston78
11-10-2016, 04:11 AM
I will be staying in my Carbon 297 this winter as I'm working out of town. What have others done to there toy hauler to help stay warm ? I put the reflective insulation on windows have electric heaters in camper and gone enclose the bottom with foam boArd insulation. Any other tips ? Thought about doing something to the floor of the toy hauler part

byrdr1
11-10-2016, 04:36 AM
I will be staying in my Carbon 297 this winter as I'm working out of town. What have others done to there toy hauler to help stay warm ? I put the reflective insulation on windows have electric heaters in camper and gone enclose the bottom with foam boArd insulation. Any other tips ? Thought about doing something to the floor of the toy hauler part

Do you mean you are going to underpin the trailer with foam board insulation?
I guess my mind is just thinking out loud.
randy

ajohnston78
11-11-2016, 02:36 AM
Yes that's what I will be doing

BOWWOW
11-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Maybe put down some carpet with padding and don't forget the ceiling vent pillows.

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
11-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Run electric heat as much as possible. You will battle moisture all the time. Before you start the burner on the stove ensure you have your stove fan running. Try to limit making things that make steam. If you are cooking anything that creates steam during cooking back burner and stove fan on high. A small heater underneath the trailer, any tanks holding water need to be heated, water heater needs to stay lit all the time. Any water going into your waste tanks will freeze at the slide valve not allowing you to open them.

You didn't say how cold it got where you are staying so I am just assuming the worst. I did one winter in Alaska to 25 below zero. We did hay bales and then the foam insulation. The hay reduced the open space under the trailer and with a small heater running on low we never froze our tanks and floors were cold but not unreasonable.

ajohnston78
11-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Well I'll be in see Pennsylvania. So it will get somewhat cold. I'm gonna put foam boArd around it this weekend I have a couple electric heater and it's also heated underbelly with dual pane windows so I'll ok I believed either gonna put halogen light under the camper to help keep things from freezing

Ken / Claudia
11-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Anyone thinking about living in the RV for winter should check out the modification thread and read about what some have done. I had 2 rvs parked on property the longest was 8 years. After hearing I'm cold all the time during winter visits. I placed foam insulation around the bottom and enclosed them with metal panels (roofing) on it's side. I also added carpet on all the flooring. It did help.These are not like a stick built home and the inside of walls/windows seem to be cold always in cold temps.

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
11-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Well I'll be in see Pennsylvania. So it will get somewhat cold. I'm gonna put foam boArd around it this weekend I have a couple electric heater and it's also heated underbelly with dual pane windows so I'll ok I believed either gonna put halogen light under the camper to help keep things from freezing

Well I hope the southern half of Pa....the biggest issue is beating the moisture inside and Pa can be rather humid. Good news is I don't think you will see 20 below for long if at all.

BTW former Scrantonian here. Now Alaskan transplant. When I go to Pa during winter the cold there goes right thru me. The humidity makes a world of difference. Alaska is very dry.

ajohnston78
11-16-2016, 02:30 AM
Yeah I'm from nw pa and I know it gets a lot colder where I'm from I think I have it all under control just looking for a few tips

Desert185
11-16-2016, 07:59 AM
Well I hope the southern half of Pa....the biggest issue is beating the moisture inside and Pa can be rather humid. Good news is I don't think you will see 20 below for long if at all.

BTW former Scrantonian here. Now Alaskan transplant. When I go to Pa during winter the cold there goes right thru me. The humidity makes a world of difference. Alaska is very dry.

What part of AK do you live? Interior?

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
11-19-2016, 10:18 PM
No just 25 miles from Anchorage but I live on the Northside of a mountain shadow.