PDA

View Full Version : Roof Safety & Inspection

satwood
11-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi Everyone

First time posting here but I have been reading the great contributions in this community for a while now. You have already helped me with ideas and improvements.

My question involves safely getting up on the camper roof for inspection and modifications. Specifically I want to add the MAX Air vent covers and do a thorough look on the roof seams while I am up there. On my last camper I felt comfortable walking on the roof but with these new ultra-lites I don't know if it is safe or smart to do that. can anyone advise me on this? What side or end should I attempt to enter from and should I put down some extra plywood or padding? Will it support my 200 pounds without damaging anything?

Also, my model came without a roof ladder. Is that a hint? :o Has anyone added one to a Bullet to make work up there easier in the future?

Thanks

chuckster57
11-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the forum!!

No roof ladder doesn't dictate no walking on the roof. I would use some sort of pad to spread the load if you have any doubts.

We generally use the rear to climb up as it's flat and you can put a ladder up close to the edge.

busterbrown
11-09-2016, 01:23 PM
From the advice of another member, I bought a 8x4 sheet of 2" thick polystyrene foam board from Home Depot and cut it up in 2x4 sections. When walking up on the roof, I just lay several down to spread out my body weight over multiple trusses. Some people have suggested plywood or OSB. But then you have to be careful not to damage the roofing material.

With the foam board, it's very light, very roof friendly, and can be cut up into any size you prefer with a simple utility knife.

As far as mounting a ladder to the rear wall of the Bullet line, I'm not sure that's possible as the support skeleton is just not there under the exterior skin. The rear is a free floating wall not designed for permanent mount ladders. Any ladder (A-frame or extension) can work to get you up safely on the roof. I use a 10 foot A frame ladder that doesn't touch the RV. I usually enter the roof from the side next to the AC unit.

satwood
11-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Very helpful guys thanks. I'll try the polystyrene foam idea to be extra safe. Also appreciate the comment about mounting a ladder. I'm glad I asked as I did not realize the construction was that way.

Cheers

gearhead
11-13-2016, 07:53 AM
To quote that comedian---"How big a boy are ya?"
I walked on our Cougar XLite without any thing under my feet except Sperry Top Sider boat shoes. I weigh 175#. The Cougar didn't have a rear ladder either. Be careful with soap, water and a slick roof. Getting off the ladder and onto the roof may be the most dangerous part. Maybe your significant other could be on standby as your "roof watch".