PDA

View Full Version : Spare tires

bartbill
11-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Blew two tires today. First was a three year old Carlisle. Put the spare on and five miles later it blew. Here is the thing. Goodyear came with a new tire (Good Sam's Roadside Assistance). The tech read the code on the blown spare ( I bought this trailer new in 2012) He said it was a thirteen year old tire!! So either this chap doesn't understand how to interpret the code. I wonder a 13 year old tire got mounted on my trailer.

Tbos
11-08-2016, 06:53 PM
4 digit code 1st two are the week of the year which is the second 2 digits. 2216 means 22nd week of 2016. My 2016 came with tires that were 6 months old. I hit a curb and blew 2 of them. Replaced 5 and kept the best of the others as an extra spare. Hope you didn't get any damage to your rig when the tires blew.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
11-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Likely to late now, since we tend to not keep a failed tire. I would have kept the old tire and taken it back the dealer and question their reason for having that old of a tire on a new trailer. My local shop told me they are not allowed to sell any tire over So old no matter what the condition it is it. I did not ask what age that is before it just goes to recycle but, 13 years should be more than enough.

Desert185
11-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Blew two tires today. First was a three year old Carlisle. Put the spare on and five miles later it blew. Here is the thing. Goodyear came with a new tire (Good Sam's Roadside Assistance). The tech read the code on the blown spare ( I bought this trailer new in 2012) He said it was a thirteen year old tire!! So either this chap doesn't understand how to interpret the code. I wonder a 13 year old tire got mounted on my trailer.

Sometimes items get traded out by an unethical element at the dealer. Check the dates on your propane tanks.

bartbill
11-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Went to Discount Tire here in Collinsville OK today. They put a new one on for 30 bucks. Had them put in steel valve stem in preparation for Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Just to be clear: If the last two digits are 11. That means the tire was made in 2011. That is, the four digit number just to the right of the DOT stamp. Right?

Tbos
11-10-2016, 06:05 PM
On my new Carlisle tires it is to the right of the DOT info. In my case they are stamped 1916.

CaptnJohn
11-10-2016, 07:55 PM
On my new Carlisle tires it is to the right of the DOT info. In my case they are stamped 1916.

Ordered 5 new Carlisle tires, they arrived only 3 months old. Poster above had a tire installed from 2011 ~~ already over 5 years old and nearly beyond useful life. I would have passed on that unless all that was available as a temporary short term fix.

bartbill
11-11-2016, 04:11 PM
If you are talking about me; the tire came on the spare of the trailer I bought new from Camping World in Longmont Colorado. Checked the air occasionally but really who would check the dates on a spare tire.

CaptnJohn
11-11-2016, 05:43 PM
If you are talking about me; the tire came on the spare of the trailer I bought new from Camping World in Longmont Colorado. Checked the air occasionally but really who would check the dates on a spare tire.

Spare I only check twice a year which is a bad practice. I checked the dates on my tires that came on the 5er. Trailer Kings but only 4 months old. Checked dates on new Carlisle tires and they were even fresher. Where could anyone even find a 13 year old tire to install? Another 1st is Carlisle coming from the factory. What brand were the 4 on the axels?

Ken / Claudia
11-12-2016, 11:13 AM
I have and do check the date of every tire I have. All 5 vehicles. And did so on the office fleet boat trailers. I recently replaced on own boat trailer tires because of age, all 5. The spare was never on the road and was replaced due to age.

notanlines
11-13-2016, 03:41 AM
Bartbill, you brought this up: "So either this chap doesn't understand how to interpret the code" My opinion is that this is the most likely scenario. I simply cannot see probably the largest RV dealership chain in the world sneaking under your trailer with a 13 year old spare.
I also will admit that I have not checked the spare for pressure since before our west coast swing. It will be done this week.