PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ox WDH

xrated
11-06-2016, 03:17 AM
I know there are several (maybe many) different brands of W.D.Hitches out there and I am curious. Generally speaking, how does the Blue Ox brand compare with some of the others? It doesn't seem to me like they are mentioned much on here, but then again, I'm pretty much brand new on the forum.

chuckster57
11-06-2016, 06:58 AM
we sell them but I have only installed one. Probably the price, IIRC they are at least twice what the Reese elite round bar is, and we install lots of them.

smokeater
11-06-2016, 07:25 AM
I use the blue ox and am quite pleased with it.

busterbrown
11-06-2016, 10:34 AM
I had a Blue Ox hitch with 1000 lb bars. Still have after using it for several months early on this past spring. It worked okay for the first few short trips of the season. After a white knuckle experience with 30 mph crosswinds in June, I had to invest in a Hensley Arrow.

The Blue Ox is a good hitch, don't get me wrong. But it will not eliminate sway, especially when driving in very windy conditions. The Hensley is in a different league of hitches. It eliminates sway entirely as the hitch is designed on several cams and struts that prevent lateral sway, no matter how much crosswind is blowing on the trailer. The Blue Ox is your typical sway reducing hitch in normal driving conditions.

In fact, I still have mine and will sell it come this spring when the travel trailer market heats up again. A nice feature about the Blue Ox is that you can back up without removing sway bars.

CFDfireman90
11-06-2016, 02:08 PM
I have a blue ox that I have run for 2 seasons. I have been very pleased with it, even in windy conditions.

xrated
11-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Being able to back up without removing it is a great feature and one that is important to me. Thanks for the replies from everyone, it's comforting to know that it is of good quality.

BirchyBoy
11-06-2016, 08:03 PM
I bought a BO when I bought my new trailer. I had ano Equalizer before and wish I'd have gone with one again. For me, engaging the chains is much harder than the EQ bars ever were.

chuckster57
11-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Lifting that long tube can be easier that turning that short handle. Both are a breeze if you lock the hitch onto the ball and then raise the tongue to take all the tension off.

Sherwolfe
11-14-2016, 07:52 PM
I have the Blue Ox and it works great. I would suggest you get a long handle socket bar to tighten or unhook the chains. That little handle thing they send doesn't work that well and the longer bar with a socket works really well.

I particularly like that I do not have to unhook to back up with this hitch. Everybody has their own idea of what works best for them, for me it's the Blue Ox but it does cost more than most other hitches.