PDA

View Full Version : Fan upgrade without cutting

Mandolin
11-05-2016, 11:28 AM
The fan in the bathroom looks like a standard size, but it is a cheesy piece of junk. I'd like to get one of the better fans, like a Maxxis, but while my trailer is under warranty I am loathe to have to cut a larger hole or otherwise mess around with the fit.

How standard are these openings? If you have upgraded your fan, how much fitment did it take or was it just a drop-in type replacement?

At some point in the future I'd like to add another roof fan in the bedroom area, but not while the trailer is under warranty.

busterbrown
11-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Standard vent openings are 14 inches x 14 inches. Fan-tastic and Maxx Fans fit these spaces, no cutting required. Of course, you'll have to remove the old vent/fan, sealant, and screws from the outside and the trim ring from the inside. This a very common mod.

Pull Toy
11-05-2016, 01:26 PM
+1 for Busterbrown about size being universal.

But... think it through. A heavy duty fan over the toilet is not the best solution, fumes wise, while flushing. Most of us put the h.d. fans in a different vent location. The light duty fan in the bathroom is only really intended to vent the bathroom, and run part time while the room is occupied, (kind of like your bathroom vent at home), while showering or, well you know.

If you do go ahead with this mod, don't cheat on the specialized sealants that work with rubber roofs, and consider adding a vent cover so you can still exhaust in the rain.

Good luck!

chuckster57
11-05-2016, 01:29 PM
With a max air brand, no vent cover is needed. I agree with thinking through where you put an aftermarket fan.

Additional consideration is reversible fan. I have one at each end so one can push out stale air and one can pull in fresh air.

Williston324
11-05-2016, 02:16 PM
I installed the Hangs Vortex ll in our bathroom. Direct fit and nice upgrade. I actually installed the l and made it into a ll with a rheostat switch I already had. Camping World has the ll on sale for $111 - $47 on Amazon. Highly recommend.

Mandolin
11-05-2016, 03:22 PM
The fan is where Keystone put it, to the right of and slightly behind the toilet - I believe it's mostly for venting moisture from the shower. There is no window in the bath area, so the fan is it for ventilation. The other thing DH is doing is taking the bathroom door off and cutting a good 2" off the top and bottom to get better air circulation through (since the door is hollow he has to bring it home to his workshop to make new caps).

I really like the rain hood that you can get the Maxxair with so that even on rainy days you can have the fan on for circulation.

And unless we are boondocking (which we haven't yet with this new trailer), we use the campground toilets - flush or pit - for anything other than midnight peeing, lol.

Again, in the long run I will probably put in of those range vent fans and maybe another fan probably in the bedroom area. But not until the trailer warranty runs out, which is at the end of next season. This is 21' box with a LOT of large windows, so if I have to rig up some 12v fans for use in the windows I will (yes, heat rises and the ceiling is better). I prefer a fan to using A/C but the A/C unit does have a fan-only function.

busterbrown
11-05-2016, 07:56 PM
And unless we are boondocking (which we haven't yet with this new trailer), we use the campground toilets - flush or pit - for anything other than midnight peeing, lol.
What great control you have. I thought our family would do the same thing when buying our current trailer last year. Lasted for about 1/2 a weekend on our first trip out when we realized two things. First, it's so darn convenient to have a midnight #2 without leaving the comforts of your warm trailer. And 2nd, it's so darn convenient. :D Plus, maintenance on a black tank full of solids is as easy as adding dawn and calgon to the tank and rinsing for about 15 minutes periodically.

But not until the trailer warranty runs out, which is at the end of next season.
Warranty should be irrelevant when it comes to equipment that's correctly installed. Upgrades and addons aren't warranty killers when installed properly. A window seal leaking wouldn't void your short 1 year tongue to bumper warranty just because a roof fan was installed.

tommy_z
11-06-2016, 04:46 PM
I wanted a little more power from the bathroom fan, but nothing like what my MaxxAir can do. I opted for an 8" computer fan and swapped it for the toy fan the trailer came with. It made a notable difference.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V6FKGM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rhagfo
02-12-2017, 06:50 AM
I installed the Hangs Vortex ll in our bathroom. Direct fit and nice upgrade. I actually installed the l and made it into a ll with a rheostat switch I already had. Camping World has the ll on sale for $111 - $47 on Amazon. Highly recommend.

X2 to the Vortex.
I wanted to upgrade in winter, and didn't want to remove the entire vent.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_223793_0_13a4bc1ca3357fa496055dd778a91186.jpg

lawdog130
02-14-2017, 10:02 PM

X3 on the Vortex II. Sucks air out or pulls air in. Much better than the original fan. As Pull Toy mentioned, turn the fan off when flushing the toilet or you will get a nose full!

https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vortex-Ugrade-Multi-Speed/dp/B00APSSPEA

notanlines
02-15-2017, 04:06 AM
We also agree with the Vortex. About $50 shipping included on Amazon. Installation and removal took about 45 minutes, no problems. It will suck the socks off a rooster!

66joej
02-15-2017, 06:27 AM
Interested in this fan for the bathroom. Just wondering about the noise level. Is it comparable noise wise to the current almost useless OEM fan. Thanks

rhagfo
02-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Interested in this fan for the bathroom. Just wondering about the noise level. Is it comparable noise wise to the current almost useless OEM fan. Thanks

About the same, but a whole bunch more suck.

canesfan
02-19-2017, 08:07 AM
I'm considering one of the Vortex fans. I've read quite a few reviews that call it a PoS and so forth, also about gaps that let bugs in and it being unbalanced and loud. So not sure yet.

But my main question is, how does it mount? Looking at pictures it isn't obvious. Also, it looks like it would block a lot of light. The current OEM computer fan leaves the entire vent open to light, this one looks like it would block about half of it. I have a skylight over the shower so it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal, just wondering.

My other thought is instead of replacing the bathroom fan, is to put it in the plain vent above the bed. Not sure if I can get 12V there or not. Haven't looked that far yet.

JRTJH
02-19-2017, 08:17 AM
My experience with the Heng Vortex 1 fan was not good. I installed it, turned it on and immediately took it out and returned it. It was far too loud for me. I have no experience with the Vortex 2 fan, and I've heard reports that it is much improved and has much less "fan noise" than the original. busterbrown just installed a Vortex 2, so he may be able to compare the maxivent fan and the Vortex 2 noise levels.

As for the original (Vortex 1) fan at $35 vs the Upgrade (Vortex 2) at $110 and how they compare to a Fantastic or Maxivent fan, from my experience, I wouldn't buy a Vortex 1 nor would I waste my time with that model.

busterbrown
02-19-2017, 08:38 AM
I'm considering one of the Vortex fans. I've read quite a few reviews that call it a PoS and so forth, also about gaps that let bugs in and it being unbalanced and loud. So not sure yet.

But my main question is, how does it mount? Looking at pictures it isn't obvious. Also, it looks like it would block a lot of light. The current OEM computer fan leaves the entire vent open to light, this one looks like it would block about half of it. I have a skylight over the shower so it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal, just wondering.

My other thought is instead of replacing the bathroom fan, is to put it in the plain vent above the bed. Not sure if I can get 12V there or not. Haven't looked that far yet.

I just installed the Vortex II in our bunkhouse. It was pretty much plug and play into the existing opening. Gaps are minimal between garnish trim and fan. It will be used as an exhaust fan (whole house fan) primarily as we'd crack a window. Not much chance of bug intrusion. It's not nearly as quiet and refined as the MaxxAir fan I installed in the main galley of our trailer. But it's balanced. It's about as loud as the 12volt OEM bathroom fan. Maybe a little louder on high. But having a fan broadcast "white noise" in a confined room like a bunkhouse is a blessing in disguise when it comes to 3 young boys.

The light is more limiting with the Vortex than the MaxxAir. Just look at the design. We have reflective vent covers we use to eliminate light..helps keep the cooler conditioned air inside on those hot summer days.

I would rethink adding a large capacity fan in the bathroom. Outside of venting moisture and odors for short periods of time, I see no real benefit. As others have stated before, large air moving fans can make it real unpleasant on your noise when flushing.

Your second choice of having it in your bedroom is a probably a better idea. Unless you're a really noise-sensitive sleeper, the fan will help tremendously with air circulation and climate control. If there is a ceiling light anywhere within a few feet of your vent opening, it should be easy to fish through some "fish tape" or pliable wire, like a metal coat hanger.

busterbrown
02-19-2017, 08:49 AM
As for the original (Vortex 1) fan at $35 vs the Upgrade (Vortex 2) at $110 and how they compare to a Fantastic or Maxivent fan, from my experience, I wouldn't buy a Vortex 1 nor would I waste my time with that model.

The Vortex II is on Amazon for around $55 dollars, half the price of Camping world. As it's an easy install, one can always option to remove it at a later date without anyone knowing it was ever there.

So, I had an unbiased, 1st impression opinion from the wife after I installed the Vortex. I had it running on medium exhaust and she said it was a "good" noise level for the bunkhouse. I'm partial to it as I always have a fan on in our bedroom at home. It won't break the bank at the Amazon price either.

canesfan
02-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input. Have to see if my AC mods help this Summer before I decide if I need a second AC or can get by with a fan.