PDA

View Full Version : Shore power with no batteries.

spokedintheeye
11-03-2016, 07:33 PM
My batteries on my TT are in my garage for the winter. I would like to plug the trailer in and run a dehumidifier a few times through the winter. I was told the other day that it is bad for the trailer to be hooked into shore power with no batteries hooked up. Something to do with the converter... can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.

Sent by me

JRTJH
11-03-2016, 08:13 PM
It won't damage the converter or cause a problem. Remember though, don't activate your slide or put a "heavy load" on the converter without the battery connected. Since you won't be using any 12 volt power, if I were you, I'd just turn off the converter circuit breaker so there's no "powered up time" on that component. But, leaving it on won't "hurt" it.

CrazyCain
04-11-2017, 05:00 PM
It won't damage the converter or cause a problem. Remember though, don't activate your slide or put a "heavy load" on the converter without the battery connected. Since you won't be using any 12 volt power, if I were you, I'd just turn off the converter circuit breaker so there's no "powered up time" on that component. But, leaving it on won't "hurt" it.

HUm, this got me thinking. I store my TT up in East Tawas during the winter and back in Oct. I tookout the Battery and broughtit home for the winter. We have been going up to the trailer every other weekend all winter long and plug into shore power. We used 2 electric heaters 1000w maybe, microwave once a weekend for less than 5 minutes, small de humidifier and the inside trailer lights, oh 2 lap tops and TV also..Going up weekend afetr Easter, plan on re installing the battery.. DO you think i did any damage to anything?? Are the microwave and heaters considered heavy loads? Hope not.... :( :confused::confused:

JRTJH
04-11-2017, 05:16 PM
The reason not to activate the slides without a battery installed is to prevent a "heavy DC demand (or load)" on the transformer and bridge rectifier in the converter/charger. If you have been deploying your slide without a battery, you've been placing a potential damaging load on the converter. I would advise against that in the future.

As for the remainder of the items you listed, they are all 120 VAC not 12VDC so they place no demand on the converter/charger. The only 12VDC items you listed are the lights and the furnace (not the electric heaters), so I wouldn't think the lights, furnace or water pump would cause a "heavy load"....

CrazyCain
04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Good news, Thanks John

chuckster57
04-11-2017, 05:35 PM
The only additional information I would add to John's is if you DONT turn off the converter make sure to COVER the POSITVE cable for the battery.

CrazyCain
04-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Thanks Chuckster

JRTJH
04-11-2017, 05:46 PM
The only additional information I would add to John's is if you DONT turn off the converter make sure to COVER the POSITVE cable for the battery.

ABSOLUTELY !!!! I have a permanently mounted battery box in the front storage compartment of the fifth wheel. I leave the positive terminal in the battery box and leave the negative terminal outside the box. If I had a removable battery box or exposed battery cables, I'd definitely cover the positive terminal or otherwise protect it from touching anything that could short the converter...... Thanks for identifying the potential danger.....