PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about storing for the winter

rsl
11-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I am getting ready to winterize my 371 for the first time and have 2 questions...

1. I have one empty and one almost empty propane tank, is there any issues leaving them stored empty for the winter or should they be full.

2. I have never used the "convenience" fuel tank so it is empty but the generator fuel tank is about half full. The fuel has the storage, de watering, conditioning stuff in it. Will that be ok stored for the winter or what should I do?

Tbos
11-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I usually fill mine in case I need them during the winter. I don't know about the genny. I think you might want to consider running it now and then through the winter.

ctbruce
11-02-2016, 07:14 PM
I usually fill mine in case I need them during the winter. I don't know about the genny. I think you might want to consider running it now and then through the winter.
I'm with Tbos on the generator. It needs to be run each month. I just put stabilizer in it. A really good idea about filling the tank just o case.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Desert185
11-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Close the valve on each bottle for the winter. I wouldn't worry about filling them, even though I like them full in case I need the trailer (I store it at my house).

Its good that the fuel tank has stabilizer in it for the storage period. I wouldn't fill the tank, because at the end of storage you could add fresh fuel. With a full tank you'll have older fuel at the end of winter even though it has the additive, which will slow the aging process. If you can't run the generator during the storage period, make sure you've changed the oil and drained the carburetor. If you can't run it over the winter, get some fogging oil for it and store it after you fogged it.

bsmith0404
11-03-2016, 04:16 AM
I've stored many small engines for a few months to a year with stabilizer in the gas without problems. As already mentioned, make sure drain the carb. It never hurts to run it from time to time, but if you don't it's not a show stopper as long as you have it properly treated. Fogging isn't a bad idea either, but honestly, I only did that with my outboards motors. I never did it with the generators or OHVs and never had a problem.

Desert185
11-03-2016, 07:24 AM
The reason I mentioned fogging was that the OP lives on the eastern shore of MD. Can't hurt if the trailer is stored outside. Change the oil, Stabil the gas, fog the carb until the engine stops, then drain the carb. Maximum protection in a salty, corrosive environment. At the end of winter, pour some fresh gas in that partially filled tank and run the gen for 30 min at normal operating temp. Good to go for the season.

Here in NV? No fogging required, as my gens are stored inside with low humidity outside.

Small engine lives matter...:)

rsl
11-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Is there a fuel shutoff on the generator itself? I took a quick look but did not see one.

Pull Toy
11-11-2016, 02:41 PM
I personally top off the tank and add Seafoam or Stabil. to all of my engines that will "winter over" As mentioned, drain the carb., by shutting off the fuel supply and running her till she stalls

My thinking is as follows:

1. Ready for emergency service, with a full tank.
2. Less sweating / condensation issues, as temp's. fluctuate.

GOOD LUCK,

schmeg
11-12-2016, 05:55 PM
I personally top off the tank and add Seafoam or Stabil. to all of my engines that will "winter over" As mentioned, drain the carb., by shutting off the fuel supply and running her till she stalls

My thinking is as follows:

1. Ready for emergency service, with a full tank.
2. Less sweating / condensation issues, as temp's. fluctuate.

GOOD LUCK,

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Both very valid points.

bigracenut
12-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Yes I agree......... you do want to run your generator at least once every few weeks for about 20 minutes... and I have never filled my LP tanks before winter, but I can see where having them full would make better sense.