PDA

View Full Version : Furnace setting to keep pipes from freezing?

kmgeer
11-01-2016, 08:27 AM
We are putting off winterizing our 24' Cougar travel trailer in the hopes of squeezing in one or two more trips for the year. In order to keep our water lines/pipes from freezing even when parked on the side of our house we know we should set the furnace to run as we've been told that is what will keep the water lines under the trailer from freezing (as that is where the heat ducts are), but we're not sure what the minimum temp is we should have it set at? We've never tried this before, we usually just winterize it at the end of October. We live in Southern Idaho and while we haven't hit winter temps quite yet, we will soon. We were thinking setting it at 50 degrees, any input? Also wondering if there are any other things we should keep in mind that maybe we are overlooking besides worrying about the water lines?

Ken / Claudia
11-01-2016, 06:54 PM
That's what I do with the RV while camping in cold temps. Here temps do not get that bad until Dec/Jan and I just winterize at that point. Unwinterize if a trip gets planned. Beach house I do same during winter. Depending on how low temps get there, a electric heater placed inside may work great. I have done that before. Open cabinet doors to keep heat in them.

instymp
11-02-2016, 01:52 PM
I think you are fine at 50. Just don't fool your thermostat and not get enough heat in the basement with an electric heater.

jkohler70
11-03-2016, 04:15 AM
Instead of doing a full winterization, just blow out your lines. Takes about 10 minutes, including bypassing the water heater.

NavyMustang
11-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Instead of doing a full winterization, just blow out your lines. Takes about 10 minutes, including bypassing the water heater.

That's kinda what I was going to propose as well. Even if you don't currently own an air compressor, purchasing a small pancake compressor and the little brass blow-out connector will be cheaper and easier than running your heater constantly.

Pull Toy
11-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Cheap, but effective, blow out fitting:

1. Short piece of 5/8" hose scrap (Male end)
2. Tubeless Schrader valve (Tire valve)
3. If needed, hose clamp.

Combine the two, always remember to limit your compressor output 40#, and leave faucets open, farthest from city water hook-up. Also great for blowing out white water and garden hoses! If in doubt about air pressure, use your water pressure regulator inline.

LarrySharon
11-04-2016, 01:34 PM
What would the recommendation for minimum size air compressor be? I was thinking of a small 3 gal size should be good enough to blow out the lines. What do you think? thx

JRTJH
11-04-2016, 01:42 PM
I normally use my big compressor in the garage to winterize the trailer. It's a 33 gallon upright and does a fantastic job. We dry camp for deer season and I've done some "campsite quick winterize jobs" on the trailer during hunting season. I use the Champion generator and a Harbor Freight 3 gallon pancake compressor. It does run the entire time, but for the most part, manages to "keep up with the flow". If I get too "energetic" and rush from faucet to faucet, I may need to stop for a few minutes to let it catch up, but overall, if you consider the compressor's limitations, you'll do just fine with a small, 3 gallon pancake.

sourdough
11-04-2016, 01:51 PM
A small 3 gallon compressor is what I use and it works fine. You just have to remember it's limitations but at 40 psi it's not a problem.

kmgeer
11-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks Ken. We are making our last trip this coming weekend and will winterize when we get back.

Irish Mist
11-10-2016, 08:04 PM
I got a very small 12 volt compressor from Canadian Tire Comes in a plastic case Hooks up to your battery. It shuts off at a preset pressure . Set it at 40 and worked great . Also handy to have on the road .