PDA

View Full Version : Shaking

Irish Mist
10-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Ok I'm a boat guy .. I'm used to rocking .. I'm used to waves .. Do fifth wheels ever get solid? I'm totally new but I have jacks down and tight but there is no way anyone can move around in the trailer with out the other knowing .. Should I add more jacks .. Air bags .. Deflate tires ? Not a big deal but I am surprised that the boat is more stable.. But it is totally supported.. So makes sense it would move less.. Being new at this just trying to get an idea of what is normal and if there is some secret trick that makes it all turn to rock :)
Thanks

chuckster57
10-31-2016, 07:17 PM
Lots of different ways to take the rocking out. X chocks between the wheels, king pin stabilizers, strong arms.. Or a combination of things.

I used to have a 36' fiver and used X chocks and king pin stabilizer and things were good.

One trick I have found is to get the trailer up off the suspension. Not all the way, but I do it this way:

Back into space and use leveling blocks to get side to side. Then set X chocks and unhook. Lower front so it's about an inch lower than level. Set rear stab jacks firmly on ground and raise front about an inch or two high. Set king pin stabilizer under pin and lower until level and solid on stabilizer.

This works for me, others may have different methods. I don't think you'll ever achieve stick and brick stability, but it's easy to lose the motion of the ocean.

Vastdavidson
11-01-2016, 12:36 PM
I installed SteadyFast on our 5th wheel. It was the best upgrade so far..

http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html

hankaye
11-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Irish Mist, Howdy;

X's 2 ^^^^^^^^^^
Best thing I did for that .

hankaye

Desert185
11-02-2016, 09:01 AM
SteadyFast stabilizers were the biggest improvement for us. Basically, its a trailer, so whitecaps in the coffee when someone walks around is normal, and can only be minimized, not eliminated.

chuckster57
11-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Steady fast and JT strong arms are the two that come to mind for frame to jack installation. Between those two I would take the JT strong arms.

Irish Mist
11-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks everyone.. like I said before is a learning curve for me.. A little shaking is much easier then being knocked around in 4 ft waves :) The shaking stops when you go to sleep.. the waves don't :)