PDA

View Full Version : Champion Generator

GrumpyG
10-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I got an e-Mail from Home Depot today advertising a big sale. Part of the sale was a Champion 3100 Generator, electric/remote start for $699, with free shipping. I know it ain't a Honda, but at one third the price I jumped on it. I can find any terrible reviews, and it has a 2 yr warranty.

I guess we'll see...

Mike484
10-24-2016, 02:39 PM
That's usually the sale price without the electric/remote start, that's a great price.
I'm sure you will be happy with the Champion.

first time 5er
10-24-2016, 02:42 PM
I have a 3400 pull start. It came missing some parts and not put together correctly but it started up first pull,its quiet and can use everything in the 5'ver with no problems. see my thread "a monday champion" I have no complaints

nellie1289
10-24-2016, 05:23 PM
I have that generator the 3100 and got at Costco for same price. It's not remote start though. How do you like that feature. I have loved mine so far no complaints. Great for the rv. Plenty of power. Sips fuel. Very quiet.

tgoodwin321
10-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Saw that too, great price. I think you'll like it. We bought the dual fuel electric start but has no remote. Quiet (enough), runs the 13.5k A/C, no complaints. Bet I'd get more use from the remote start but nice to have the propane option if I run out of gas I suppose. Enjoy!

busterbrown
10-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I got lucky on my Champion 3100 generator with wireless start (75537i). Over the summer, Home Depot had them discounted down to $800. I used a 10% off coupon that they had sent me a week prior for the internet purchase. With state sales tax and the discount applied, I walked out with mine for $763.
Funny thing, I initially had ordered it on Amazon (for $849) but it was on back-order for at least 2 weeks. I cancelled my Amazon order the minute I bought it at Homedepot.com. Couldn't have worked out any better.

Sarvi
10-25-2016, 09:45 AM
I bought one last spring, pull start, and used it several times over the summer. it works great!

dirt33
10-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Boy, that is a great price for that unit. I have the 3100 recoil start, and have been totally satisfied with it. I don't use it often enough that the electric start would be a "must", but still, it would be a great feature to have. I am very surprised that you were able to get it at that price, and good job jumping all over that!

Mike484
10-25-2016, 03:19 PM
I got an e-Mail from Home Depot today advertising a big sale. Part of the sale was a Champion 3100 Generator, electric/remote start for $699, with free shipping. I know it ain't a Honda, but at one third the price I jumped on it. I can find any terrible reviews, and it has a 2 yr warranty.

I guess we'll see...

Was that email a mass mailing or like a members only mailing?
I'm just curious of others can use the sale price or if its not publically distributed.
That is about what I paid for mine and its the pull start. Shame of it is, I bought it in March and still have not put oil or gas in it (still in the box). Bought it because I thought I was getting a great price and that some day I would use it.

the sodfather
10-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Champion just came out with a 3500 watt generator. Champion said it was made specifically for running the 15K A/C's. Same size as the 3100. $1199 with remote start. For those of us with the bigger A/C, it may be worth the extra cash. I've been planning on buying 2 Honda 2000's when they go on sale at Northern Tool but now I'm leaning hard to he new Champion 3500...:rolleyes:

bwright
10-25-2016, 04:07 PM
I have had one for almost 2 years now, good piece of equipment. In economy mode, it is so quiet you will not hear it over the other "loud" generators if you are camping in a crowd. When mine is operating in economy mode, I can fill it up at night and wake up by 7am to fill it back up without stopping during the night.

roadglide
10-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Champion customary service is good with 2 year warranty. My 2000 watt took a dump on the control module . I called champion and when I got home i had the part. They also sent me a nice cover for the generator for the trouble I had.

Desert185
10-26-2016, 08:13 AM
Was that email a mass mailing or like a members only mailing?
I'm just curious of others can use the sale price or if its not publically distributed.
That is about what I paid for mine and its the pull start. Shame of it is, I bought it in March and still have not put oil or gas in it (still in the box). Bought it because I thought I was getting a great price and that some day I would use it.

By all indications the Champion appears to be a good generator, but I think before too much more time passes I would service it and start it to ensure it works as advertised. At least run it to break it in and change the oil.

Mike484
10-26-2016, 10:24 AM
By all indications the Champion appears to be a good generator, but I think before too much more time passes I would service it and start it to ensure it works as advertised. At least run it to break it in and change the oil.

I've been considering it, just didnt want to put gas in it until I knew I was going to be useing it, todays ethanol gas is a killer on carborators. But I guess I can run it until it runs dry.

JRTJH
10-26-2016, 10:43 AM
I've been considering it, just didnt want to put gas in it until I knew I was going to be useing it, todays ethanol gas is a killer on carborators. But I guess I can run it until it runs dry.

You are very correct in saying ethanol gas is a killer..... In almost every place I've been, "recreational gas" (as it's called in Michigan) is ethanol free. Here, it's "92 octane/real gas" with no ethanol. When I was in Surfside (west of Galveston) last year, it was available at most marine stations. I've found, through trial and error, that using "recreational gas" and adding StaBil Marine (gray formula) will keep the fuel "fresh and non clogging" for up to a year (StaBil says up to 6 months). I've used only "recreational gas" in all my small engines, outboards and ATV's/UTV's for the past 5 years and I haven't had a "carburetor failure" since I started using it. In Michigan, the "summer stuff" sits for 6 months or more and the "winter toys" sit for sometimes 8 or 9 months during the "off season"...

You might do some checking around your area of Houston and see where you can buy "ethanol free" gas. For me, it's well worth the extra fifth cents a gallon.

As for your Champion, I've had exceptionally good performance and reliability with all three of mine, as have most of the members who own them. But there are those isolated reports of a "broken part" or a "mis-installed component" that are just frequent enough to warrant making sure that your Champion "works as designed" before that warranty expires !!!

Good Luck !!!

Desert185
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Stabil in the gas and drain the carb when you put it away. I Stabil my gas as soon as I buy it and have never had a problem. I usually keep 30 gals on hand for "contingency" purposes.

bitten
10-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Lucky enough to find recreational gas here. The 3500 runs the 15k a/c and some appliances but not the second a/c.

roadglide
10-26-2016, 06:26 PM
JRTJH thanks for the advice on the gas it got me thinking about the gas stations at the lake they sell clean gas for boats that I use but I never though of the generators.

zuley
10-27-2016, 04:58 AM
It is my understanding that here in Canada premium 91 grade fuel is ethanol free. Is that not the case in the US?? It generally sells for 12 cents per litre higher than regular. I could be mistaken but it's cheap insurance by my thinking.

bg71361
10-27-2016, 05:12 AM
Champion just came out with a 3500 watt generator. Champion said it was made specifically for running the 15K A/C's. Same size as the 3100. $1199 with remote start. For those of us with the bigger A/C, it may be worth the extra cash. I've been planning on buying 2 Honda 2000's when they go on sale at Northern Tool but now I'm leaning hard to he new Champion 3500...:rolleyes:

Do you have a link? Can't seem to find anything.

kfxgreenie
10-27-2016, 05:20 AM
If and when I buy it will be 3400 dual fuel, propane ready to hopefully not deal with the gas issue or sitting for a period of time as we do not dry camp much. I realize that the output will not be as good as 3400 watts on lp but worth it to me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-400-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Push-Button-Electric-Start-Portable-Inverter-Generator-with-Parallel-Capability-100263/206842512

Mike484
10-27-2016, 05:50 AM
If and when I buy it will be 3400 dual fuel, propane ready to hopefully not deal with the gas issue or sitting for a period of time as we do not dry camp much. I realize that the output will not be as good as 3400 watts on lp but worth it to me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-3-400-Watt-Dual-Fuel-Push-Button-Electric-Start-Portable-Inverter-Generator-with-Parallel-Capability-100263/206842512

Wonder if this will run two A/Cs, I would think it would.

Jetfixer03
10-27-2016, 06:10 AM
I see the 3500 w/remote for $499. I've seen nothing but positive comments about these generators. New to rv'ing here, and I'm hesitant to take my $$$ Yamaha generator that i need for work, so this looks like an option. My main concern is the fact that it appears to be a conventional as opposed to an inverter generator, that's the trade off for the $ compared to a Honda or yamaha. Slightly louder and worse on fuel, not a huge deal, but conventional generator fluctuations can be harmful to electronics.

Mike484
10-27-2016, 06:19 AM
I see the 3500 w/remote for $499. I've seen nothing but positive comments about these generators. New to rv'ing here, and I'm hesitant to take my $$$ Yamaha generator that i need for work, so this looks like an option. My main concern is the fact that it appears to be a conventional as opposed to an inverter generator, that's the trade off for the $ compared to a Honda or yamaha. Slightly louder and worse on fuel, not a huge deal, but conventional generator fluctuations can be harmful to electronics.

Where do you see the 3500 for $499?
All the ones listed in this thread are the inverters.

bitten
10-27-2016, 06:48 AM
The champion inverter 3500 gen will not run 2 a/cs

Jetfixer03
10-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Ok, dug further and found Champion's inverter line, looks like $1100 ish for the 3500 w/remote. Sounds more like it. Cheaper than a Honda or Yamaha by a bunch, noise rating is about the same. Granted, Honda or Yamaha are bulletproof, but for recreational use...

Mike484
10-27-2016, 09:28 AM
The champion inverter 3500 gen will not run 2 a/cs

Yea, your right, you need 50 amp for two A/Cs.

the sodfather
10-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Do you have a link? Can't seem to find anything.

Saw it at Cabela's. They were actually on sale for $1099. Told my wife I was ordering it and it was not on sale. I will wait til it's a $100 off again...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMPION-REMOTE-INVERTER/2236565.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FCQ_pagesize %3D40%26CQ_search%3Dchampion%252bgenerator%26CQ_st %3Db%26categoryId%3D734095080

Bummer. Now it shows out of stock!

tommy_z
10-29-2016, 06:07 AM
About remote starting, I thought you were supposed to disconnect the power cable from the genny before turning it on/off. Are folks using the circuit breaker inside instead?

JoePK
10-29-2016, 04:57 PM
I actually called Champion and asked about remote starting procedures, and the rep told me it's ok to start it plugged in after the initial break in period(first five hours & oil change.) I have two remote start Champions, and haven't had any problems when using the remote to start the generator plugged in already. I'm definitely not an expert with this stuff, but it's works for me "bouncey:

Desert185
10-29-2016, 05:38 PM
My surge protector samples electrical input for 128 seconds before connecting the power to the trailer. When my gen is plugged in and started, the time allows for a low load warmup, so I start it connected and walk away.

Hankintu
12-02-2016, 04:18 AM
My surge protector samples electrical input for 128 seconds before connecting the power to the trailer. When my gen is plugged in and started, the time allows for a low load warmup, so I start it connected and walk away.

Just ordered the Champion 3100 with remote, $745. I really like the idea of the surge protector delay, what brand/model are you using? Thanks in advance.

Desert185
12-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Just ordered the Champion 3100 with remote, $745. I really like the idea of the surge protector delay, what brand/model are you using? Thanks in advance.

This one, but not necessarily from them. Shop around.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Surge-Guard-34850-Portable-50-Amp-RV-Surge-Protect-p/19-2546.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiA1ITCBRDO-oLA-q_n8xYSJADjBQfG1k1z8kOuoBVeFrUOB78wxqiLXTW5bOrOLGp-gPsU7RoC__Pw_wcB&gdffi=d722fab84a06472899ce2a16e4d2ed3f&gdfms=549666D1B45B4BB987EDBD5E1A1AAFA9

B-O-B'03
12-02-2016, 12:21 PM

I installed the hard wired version, from progressive.

It has a variable time delay on it and comes with a remote display.

Progressive EMS (http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c)

I got mine from Amazon, it was a little less than the MSRP.

Not sure about other manufacturer's models but for the progressive I had to make a neutral to ground jumper to plug into my Champion Generator, so the progressive did not show a ground fault error. I did that rather than bypassing the EMS (which you can do from the remote display) while on generator power, I like to see what is going on.

-Brian