PDA

View Full Version : Planning our Yellowstone / Grand Teton / Mount Rushmore-Black Hills Trip for 2017

busterbrown
10-23-2016, 07:31 PM
We're planning our big 12 day trip to South Dakota and Wyoming with our travel trailer next summer in late June. This will be our first trip ever to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I'm looking for pointers and advice on traveling to bear country with our 3 young boys.

We'll be staying at Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone for 4-5 days (need the full hookups), 2 days at Grand Teton, and 2 days in the Black Hills. Anything sites that are a must for the kiddos, outside of the obvious "Old Faithful" and "Mammoth" hot springs?

I know the DW and I will have a blast but I want to keep our boys interested in these national parks. I've been to the Black Hills before and have a rough plan in mind for our days there. It's Yellowstone and Grand Teton that seem to be overwhelming in the planning stages.

notanlines
10-24-2016, 02:36 AM
Having been to Yellowstone many times, the first thing that comes to mind is the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. You probably know full well that after awhile one bison looks just like another to a small child. Be sure to take a ride up towards the north entrance where the admin buildings are to see all the elk on the grounds, up close but not too close.

Dave W
10-24-2016, 03:34 AM
Literally there are more places to stop and gawk then you can count. Old Faithful can end up an international 'zoo scene' with thousands of people, many of which are from elsewhere in the world. Then you may have a close encounter with one of the residents. This is near the West entrance about 0700:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_214524_0_93e8ae7aeb0f7a2e82a454bc2da29572.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Irelandschild/media/USA%202015/DSC_0380_zpsdzneauim.jpg.html)

This is one of the smaller geysers:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_214524_1_0c570ea0af2e3124d0bb8739bc45e2ce.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Irelandschild/media/USA%202015/DSC_0351_zpsu7abvrnk.jpg.html)

Before you get to Mt Rushmore, you may want to visit the SD Badlands. We found it fascinating. We did it as a one day side trip from Custer, SD Your kids and pup will love seeing the prarie dog cities there too: https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/explore-with-us/great-8/badlands#/gallery/recent

Then there is always a Devil's Tower 'Close Encounter': http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_214524_2_53233066e85fb63a431d89822ba52565.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Irelandschild/media/USA%202015/DSC_0279_zps8a2z5wv8.jpg.html)

Don't forget to stop at Wall Drug. A tinsel town, but a fun couple hours and can part you with some bucks too.

We have not gotten to the Tetons, either last year or this as forest fires have clouded them too much. You can even see the smoke smudge in the Devil's Tower photo above. Hopefully next year will be fine for you. Our tentative plans don't include going that far South

SLIMSHADIE
10-24-2016, 03:51 AM
We went 9 years ago, had a wedding to goto so we planned a 10 day trip out of it. My girls were 7 & 9 then. First stop was the Corn Palace, more like a pit stop to stretch the legs. Took a half day thru the Badlands. Almost a day for Devils Tower. Stayed at Custer State Park for several days. Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Gave ourselves 3 days for Yellowstone. Spent 1 night in the Tetons. Great trip.

old timer
10-24-2016, 04:00 AM
You need to stay at Yellowstone for more than 2 days. I did the lower loop in one day and the upper loop the next day but it was a rush. There wasn't much pond activity when we were there last July. Mont Rushmore has changed since the last time i was there. We went in the evening to see them light up the Presidents. It was impressive. They have a presentation before they turn up the lights. It was very good. Get there early so you can sit in the seats at the front. Maybe 2 hours.

Murphsmom
10-24-2016, 06:26 AM
While you are in the Mt Rushmore area, you might try taking in the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. They have a program for students. Not sure when it will be (or what your timeframe is), but here is a link to the site.
http://http://mammothsite.com

If you are entering Yellowstone from the east entrance, you will pass through Cody WY, which is well worth a day or two. The Buffalo Bill Center is a "don't miss".

LarrySharon
10-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Bear Country is outside of Rapid City. A fun place for the family. There is a drive thru area and and area to walk around.

LarrySharon
10-24-2016, 10:03 AM
bearcountryusa.com

dhn
10-24-2016, 11:24 AM
We did that trip last year, took 2 weeks, still did not get to see all we wanted to see. As one post already pointed out, Cody, WY is a nice place to stop. We stayed at Buffalo Bill State park just west of town. Here is a website we used to plan our trip into Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Fishing Bridge Campground is very tight. Some say you can't put out your awning. We drove through there and we were glad we stayed in West Yellowstone, MT. If you have not already made reservations for Fishing Bridge, do it soon, the sites go quick from what I hear.

http://yellowstone.net/

gearhead
10-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Buffalo Bill Museum (or whatever they call it now) in Cody X2.

notanlines
10-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Let me bring up something that most people don't know about. About 15 miles or so west of Cody, in the neighborhood of Wapiti, if you drive out there just before sundown, the mule deer start coming down out of the mountains into the fields on the south side of the main highway. There is a gravel road on the other side of the main highway with the fields in between. Brenda and I have seen more than a thousand (yes, thousand) in one evening on more than one occasion.

JRTJH
10-24-2016, 05:00 PM
We stayed in Fishing Bridge campground last year. The comments about the spaces being "tight" are correct. But, if you consider the advantage of being "in the center of the park" at the start of every day, the "tight spaces" aren't really an issue compared to the hour (or more) travel time from a campground outside the park. There are some "rustic" campgrounds scattered throughout Yellowstone, but Fishing Bridge is the only "full hookup campground". We used the trailer as a "bedroom only" and we "headed out" just after breakfast and never got back to the camper until after dark each evening. When you consider that it's about 75 miles from Cody to Fishing Bridge and very close to the same distance from the West entrance of the park, with the 45 MPH speed limit and "stop and go traffic" anywhere there's animals close to the road (almost everywhere in the park), getting that "head start" by being near the center of everything was a significant advantage for us.

The mule deer migration is something to see. Also, as a "teaser" here are a couple of pictures of "antler piles" in Wapiti.

sourdough
10-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons!! A couple of the most beautiful places in the world to me. But.....

For those of you unfamiliar it is more than just a pretty place. You have to be aware and careful. Elk, moose, deer and bear aren't pets and have to have their space.

My first trip to Yellowstone (35 years ago) we saw an elk that I wanted to photograph. I got out of the car and tried to get closer. We moved through the field concentrating on the elk bull. About the time he was in good picture range, out of nowhere in the grass, a big moose stood up and snorted....not at all happy with me being there. We (my son 17 and I ) tried to disappear.

On that trip we stayed at Grand Tetons in a park by Lake Jenny?? We put up our tent and went to bed at sundown. Sometime around 10-12pm we heard all kinds of screeching sounds, then screaming, then banging as it sounded like someone throwing things into a truck. Then a vehicle speeding away. We went back to sleep and got up about 7am. In the morning we joined another couple and went through the campsite where the folks had left. They had left some of their food products on the ground and a grizzly came to camp. He literally shredded their metal Coleman cooler (you could see the claw marks) and much of their equipment. It was left on site. We marveled that anyone, in that environment, would entice a Grizzly like that.

We travel to a lot of places. Wildlife is something we have encountered all our lives. They are pretty, but they deserve respect. We have a vacation home where we daily encounter 80-150 elk in our valley below our deck. Due to this time of year we witnessed two big bulls sparring (banging racks) about 150' in front of our deck a couple of weeks ago. They are pretty, but they are very dangerous when their minds are on other things. Leave them alone.

All just to say that Yellowstone, Grand Tetons are exceptionally beautiful. But, everyone needs to know the animals and what they are capable of. Look at them from afar. Take pictures of them.....but leave them alone. They are a gift to all of us and those that keep pressing them and abusing them only hasten the time they won't be available to any of us.

busterbrown
10-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Awesome read so far. Look forward to reading more comments. I'm about 20 years past due on this Yellowstone visit. The pictures, advice, and reads keep me motivated over the long MI winter while our trailer hibernates.

And I'm sure it'll be a trip that we be revisited a few times over as our kids grow into adulthood.

MBD
10-27-2016, 04:36 AM
If you are planning your trip anywhere close to the first week of August, be aware that is the time frame for the Sturgis motorcycle migration. While a fun and entertaining experience, it can also complicate travel from Hulett (Devils Tower) through the Badlands/Mount Rushmore.

Having made that trip many times, it always takes more time than planned for. Just consider that the speed limit inside Yellowstone is 45 mph and there are a gazillion other people wanting to see and experience the same things (usually at the same time). You will need plenty of time and even more patience.

Fishing Bridge is a good place to stay - if your RV fits their small sites. Keep an eye on fuel as it is not everywhere and pricey when you find it. Also know that groceries are expensive and may require a long drive to obtain. Bring as much as you can from home.

Most importantly - have fun and enjoy the overwhelming beauty and serenity.

Lundy
10-27-2016, 10:29 AM
I highly recommend Bear Country as well, our kids loved it. Also look into Reptile Gardens http://www.reptilegardens.com/ very cool place with the largest alligator I have ever seen, lots of snakes, lizards etc. An unexpected surprise find in the middle of South Dakota.

busterbrown
10-27-2016, 01:46 PM
If you are planning your trip anywhere close to the first week of August, be aware that is the time frame for the Sturgis motorcycle migration

Yeah, I visited the Black Hills on the tail end of the big Sturgis rally years ago and won't do that again. The amount of bikes was insane. We're going the last week of June.

busterbrown
10-27-2016, 01:48 PM
I highly recommend Bear Country as well, our kids loved it. Also look into Reptile Gardens http://www.reptilegardens.com/ very cool place with the largest alligator I have ever seen, lots of snakes, lizards etc. An unexpected surprise find in the middle of South Dakota.

Thanks. Will look into this. What boy doesn't like to see a monster gator in the northere states. Plus my 6 year old is fascinated with snakes now.

busterbrown
11-14-2016, 11:43 PM
I'm mapping out roads for next summers big vacation and Google is routing a long 6.5 hour trek from Yellowstone to Grand Teton. We're staying at Fishing Bridge RV park and thought I'd be able to just drop down south on US Hwy 191 into Jackson, WY. GMaps routes east bound to Cody then south on State Route 120. I'm looking for the shortest leg possible. Suggestions?

notanlines
11-15-2016, 03:49 AM
Probably just a glitch on Google maps. You are very correct. 191 is the highway. We have been on it many times, the last time was just three weeks ago. Want me to tell you how hard it is to show newbies the Grand Tetons and Old Faithful in a snowstorm? I won't be going back on the last week of October again.

Mr30RLI
11-15-2016, 04:55 AM
BusterBrown

DW and I spent a week at Fishing Bridge in July. The roads in the campground are the worst you will ever see. They removed the pavement a year or 2 ago and have yet to replace. Sounds crazy but it is what it is.

Things to do:

Buy or rent some bear spray, pricy to buy but ours is now the home defense weapon in the trailer.

Mammoth Hot Springs and the surrounding stuff is entertaining.

The swimming hole on the Firehole river is really cool, go early since there isn't much parking. Also you will need to climb down to the river so bring stout shoes. The boys will love it.

If you have one or can get one a sporting scope will give you a better view of distant wildlife. We watched a pack of wolves harass a big group of elk for about an hour. They were at least a mile away across the river.

Don't miss the Prairie Dogs at Devil's Tower.

Enjoy.

busterbrown
11-15-2016, 06:26 AM
Probably just a glitch on Google maps. You are very correct. 191 is the highway. We have been on it many times, the last time was just three weeks ago. Want me to tell you how hard it is to show newbies the Grand Tetons and Old Faithful in a snowstorm? I won't be going back on the last week of October again.

I guess at elevation, there's going to more inclement weather risks in the fall. I hope the weather works with us come late June. I've read that snow can last through May. Dress in layers I assume is our best option.

busterbrown
11-15-2016, 06:30 AM
BusterBrown

DW and I spent a week at Fishing Bridge in July. The roads in the campground are the worst you will ever see. They removed the pavement a year or 2 ago and have yet to replace. Sounds crazy but it is what it is.

Things to do:

Buy or rent some bear spray, pricy to buy but ours is now the home defense weapon in the trailer.

Mammoth Hot Springs and the surrounding stuff is entertaining.

The swimming hole on the Firehole river is really cool, go early since there isn't much parking. Also you will need to climb down to the river so bring stout shoes. The boys will love it.

If you have one or can get one a sporting scope will give you a better view of distant wildlife. We watched a pack of wolves harass a big group of elk for about an hour. They were at least a mile away across the river.

Don't miss the Prairie Dogs at Devil's Tower.

Enjoy.

The Prairie dogs are on my list already. Thanks. We'll have to check out the firehole river.

Alpine
11-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Here is a lil' teaser for ya!

homer3
11-15-2016, 04:28 PM
While your visiting Mount Rushmore, take in the Alpine Inn for dinner. Not sure still there but the DW and I had dinner there on our trip and it was excellent.

busterbrown
11-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the inspiring pictures and recommendations. Unbelievably majestic! Its planning trips like these that keep me grounded during the off season.

Ddubya
11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Don't forget to visit Crazy Horse.

notanlines
11-16-2016, 05:39 PM
We have a different opinion of the Crazy Horse goings-on. We have visited the "sculpture" on occasion and found that there have been no changes in more than ten years. Yet the gift shop and surrounding properties have expanded exponentially. If you are travelling on a budget youmight want to pass on this.

Mr30RLI
11-16-2016, 05:46 PM
BB

Firehole river swimming hole.

Frank

PaulandJan
11-16-2016, 09:14 PM
The roads in Fishing Bridge campground this past August were horrible. Pavement had been ripped up and there were huge ruts and pot holes. And as stated, it is tight. Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardiner, MT is very nice too. Just outside the north Yellowstone entrance.

Coulter Bay Campground in Tetons is fantastic. One of the best.

We love Horse Thief Campground in Hill City, SD just south of Rapid City and just outside of Custer State Park. In Custer on your way to see Mt. Rushmore, go south to north, not north to south on Iron Mountain Highway. You will see why as you exit the tunnels.

OregonRver
11-18-2016, 10:38 PM
With the kids in mind, here's 3 spots, 2 in SD and 1 in WY. Our grandkids loved em'!

Custer Park had so many buffalo and its a drive through park. So cool!
http://hobby-tronics.lenzus.com/content/21775739/r/s_13905338.jpg

http://hobby-tronics.lenzus.com/content/21775739/r/s_65973792.jpg

Hanson Wagon is better than any museum we have visited anywhere. Great folks.
http://hobby-tronics.lenzus.com/content/21775739/r/s_55054538.jpg

Museum of the West, small but wow what a great museum.

Custer State Park SD
https://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/

Hanson Wagon SD
https://www.hansenwheel.com/

Buffalo Bill Museum of the West WY
https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/

koko
11-19-2016, 09:04 AM
We stayed at Keyhole State Park when we were in the Devil's Tower area this summer. Our site was right on the lake and very beautiful (about a half hour drive to DT). However...there is a KOA where we stayed with our son, daughter-in-law and our two young grandchildren a couple of years ago. It is literally at the base of Devil's Tower and right at the memorial entrance. It was an impressive sight to wake up and see that awesome tower in your front yard, and the kids loved it.

roadglide
11-19-2016, 05:45 PM
We're planning our big 12 day trip to South Dakota and Wyoming with our travel trailer next summer in late June. This will be our first trip ever to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I'm looking for pointers and advice on traveling to bear country with our 3 young boys.

We'll be staying at Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone for 4-5 days (need the full hookups), 2 days at Grand Teton, and 2 days in the Black Hills. Anything sites that are a must for the kiddos, outside of the obvious "Old Faithful" and "Mammoth" hot springs?

I know the DW and I will have a blast but I want to keep our boys interested in these national parks. I've been to the Black Hills before and have a rough plan in mind for our days there. It's Yellowstone and Grand Teton that seem to be overwhelming in the planning stages.
I have been looking at yellow stone parks my self, Fishing bridge is the best park for your 35 ft rig. Look into RV park reviews to get your self some idea what to expect. I'm going to stay out side yellow stone because of park road condition with the harley.

Alpine
11-19-2016, 10:09 PM
How about a few teasers from Teton National Park......

busterbrown
11-27-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm rethinking the campground accommodations for Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I've got 4 days booked at the Fishing Bridge RV park in Yellowstone and 2 days booked at Colter Bay Village (RV park). Would it be more practical to just book 6 days maybe at the Headwaters Campground at Flagg Ranch and use that location as our base camp? From what Google maps out, it's about 60 minutes to Fishing Bridge and about 15 minutes to Colter Bay.

From what I hear, Fishing Bridge is just a parking lot anyways. Any suggestions?

Hometown
12-11-2016, 06:08 PM
We stayed at Flagg Ranch few years back, they had just updated shower facilities and put in more of the primitive cabins on the property. The sites were ok but still they had to get #'s in so it is what it is but much better than Fishing Bridge as far as being put in with a shoe horn. We found it fit our needs since we used about 60% of our time in the Tetons doing hiking and on the river trips. It is still close enough to the South entrance of Yellowstone to take some of the travel time out of a day long trip into the park if you plan what your destinations are and manage your time. The other thing was we had been to Yellowstone before and did not need to hit all the highlights in a couple of days, that helped us manage what we had on our list to visit. Have a great trip however it works out.

RK1978
01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
We haven't been to Yellowstone for 30 years so are planning a Glacier (never been there) to Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore trip for next Aug-Sept. We have reservations for 5 days at Glacier and a week at Fishing Bridge. I agree with those who say 2 days is not long enough. We went for 5 days with our kids and could have stayed longer. Keep your area clean, don't dump rinse water on the ground and be sure everything is secure because bears are not nice neighbors! We used to backpack and had to be extremely cautious about campground sanitation because a backpacking tent is nothing to a bear. Many good suggestions in preceding posts, gave me some ideas for places to see around Mt Rushmore. We've never even been in SD before.

Murphsmom
01-12-2017, 09:27 PM
The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs SD is well worth a visit. Many people like to visit Deadwood. We were less than impressed, as it seemed to be one t-shirt shop after casino after souvenier shop. There was an interesting little museum there, though, as well as Mt Moriah Cemetery.

Custer State Park is a must see...but don't expect to take an RV on all of the roads!

DetnNet
02-05-2017, 03:22 PM
We went out to Yellowstone for a 2 week trip sept 2015 right after labor day. One place we really liked was Custer State Park KOA SD (rabbits everywhere). It was a home base for a few days to see Custer state part, needles highway, iron mountain road are all must see. We then went on to Cody WY and used that as next home base for Yellowstone. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody was fun to visit. Have fun!

some photos;
1st Iron Mountain Road Custer State Park SD
2nd Shoshone National Forest or park between Cody and Yellowstone
3rd, 4th Bighorn National Forest West of Cody

hitchikerman
02-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Did the trip last year from late June to late August and what a wonderful trip. I cannot add to much because everything has been covered here just want to let you know when in Jackson Hole be sure to stop at MacPhail's Burger resturant...they are the best.

Honestbob
02-11-2017, 07:05 PM
We did that trip 2 summers ago with 3 boys! In a 17 ft trailer! The only thing I have to add is that there are a lot of nice dry camping and electric sites between Yellowstone and Cody in the Shoshone National forest- we found a nice secluded site at the Wapiti camping area and it was one of the best nights of my life. Also, the boys loved the Cody Night Rodeo. Beautiful setting and great authentic entertainment. We stayed at fishing bridge and like others have said its a parking lot with full hookups but at least gets you closer to areas within the park. Loved the devils tower KOA.

EVMIII
02-12-2017, 04:44 PM
We haven't been to Yellowstone for 30 years so are planning a Glacier (never been there) to Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore trip for next Aug-Sept. We have reservations for 5 days at Glacier and a week at Fishing Bridge. I agree with those who say 2 days is not long enough. We went for 5 days with our kids and could have stayed longer. Keep your area clean, don't dump rinse water on the ground and be sure everything is secure because bears are not nice neighbors! We used to backpack and had to be extremely cautious about campground sanitation because a backpacking tent is nothing to a bear. Many good suggestions in preceding posts, gave me some ideas for places to see around Mt Rushmore. We've never even been in SD before.

Maybe we'll see you on the road, we are making the same trip about the same time. We're starting in South Mississippi and are doing Custer, Glacier, Yellowstone and Tetons (in that order) starting in mid Aug 17. I expect it to be about a month total and about 5000 miles. We will be mostly dry camping, some with electrical.

Bud

Bob Landry
02-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Check the fire situation in both parks before you go. My last couple of trips have been a bust because of the smoke from "controlled" and uncontrolled burns.