PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Mileage?

Junctionbill
05-01-2011, 08:55 AM
KanTC: Looks like we have similar tow vehicles.. Hope your gas mileage is better than min (8mpg). I'm towing a 34' Grand Junction.:rolleyes:

KanTC
05-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Junctionbill,

We typically average around 10-11 mpg while towing. Although our Laredo is mid-profile, the wind is almost always a factor here in NM (and in AZ & in TX, where our kids live)... and we do have some mountain grades north & west of our area. DH often jokes that we have a 'head-wind' no matter which direction we're heading. :D Haven't taken any cross-country trips with this 5th wheel yet, but don't expect the mpg's to vary too much.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

DocData757
05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Now two thirds of the way through our FL to NY trip and I am getting 10.4 so far.

jq1031
05-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Getting about 11 mpg towing, but the diesel is far from broken in.....hope to get at least 15 down the road. Only 5k on the truck......what do you think?

campingcpl
05-03-2011, 07:58 AM
With our 2004 Chevy we get around 15 - 16 in town and have gotten as good as 21 on the highway not towing. We have gotten between 11 - 13 towing, it all depends on the terrain, wind and speed we are driving. I am hoping after a few mods on the truck I will be able to bump all the milages up a few more.

hankpage
05-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Getting about 11 mpg towing, but the diesel is far from broken in.....hope to get at least 15 down the road. Only 5k on the truck......what do you think?

Joe, 15mpg towing is a hard nut to crack. Last year under ideal conditions (tail winds and good speed control) I got 14.8 south bound and 16.8 north bound. This year on the same 1200 mi trip with head winds and running at or slightly above speed limits.:rolleyes: averaged mid 13s south low 14s north. Wind, speed and tire pressure will affect your mileage more than break-in. 15 mpg is a good goal to shoot for but 13 or 14 is probably more realistic.

Enjoy your new trailer and ... Yes, a sunset cocktail with you and yours at Pelican Alley sounds like a good idea for next year, Hank ....... this is according to my DW which I always listen to. :D

jq1031
05-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Joe, 15mpg towing is a hard nut to crack. Last year under ideal conditions (tail winds and good speed control) I got 14.8 south bound and 16.8 north bound. This year on the same 1200 mi trip with head winds and running at or slightly above speed limits.:rolleyes: averaged mid 13s south low 14s north. Wind, speed and tire pressure will affect your mileage more than break-in. 15 mpg is a good goal to shoot for but 13 or 14 is probably more realistic.

Enjoy your new trailer and ... Yes, a sunset cocktail with you and yours at Pelican Alley sounds like a good idea for next year, Hank ....... this is according to my DW which I always listen to. :D

That's a deal for next season. I'll get that 15MPG Hank. Just bought a fresh can of caruba yellow wax, so I'll be really slick & speedy as I buz down the road. However, that won't happen untill after the lovebugs are finished loving themself to death. What a pain in the you know what!

DocData757
05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Finished our trip fro FL to NY with a final average of 10.2. The mountains in PA and NY took there toll.