PDA

View Full Version : Another slide out question

kksfish
10-20-2016, 03:20 PM
In the owners manual for my 2011 Laredo 266 RL it states not to stand or sit in the slide out while retracted as it may damage it and I understand that.....But there are times when I would like to use the bed with the slide in the retracted position and I wondered if anyone else was using the bed in the retracted position and if they have had any issues?

Alpine
10-20-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm sure not all RV's a created equal... however we twice have been in extremely windy conditions, Wyoming and Nebraska, where in the evening we put in all 4 slides just during our sleeping to cut down on the rock and roll. So the only slide we were actually on was the bed slide. It has not effected the performance that slide.

kksfish
10-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks...I thought I better ask before I tried it!

slow
10-20-2016, 06:01 PM
We often do not open our slide when overnighting on a cross country run just to save time when we want to get going the next morning.

To support the slide floor, we purchased 4 large cutting boards (~10 x 17") from Walmart that we covered in fabric and added a 3/4" diameter foam rod sewn into one edge of the cover. When the slide is retracted, we slip the cutting boards under the unsupported edge of the slide floor. The foam rod prevents the cutting boards from slipping too far under the slide floor and are hidden under the slide's carpet. The 3/8" thickness is the perfect height to support the floor.

We leave the boards under the slide whenever the slide is retracted including while in transit and set them aside when we extend the slide.

chuckster57
10-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Using a slide while retracted without support may not have "instant" effects. Most slide floors are pressed particle board, and continued use may cause it to start coming apart and you won't notice until it's too late. Replacing a slide floor is not easy or cheap. Not using it while retracted costs nothing.

kksfish
10-21-2016, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone......