PDA

View Full Version : Sway question

Jetfixer03
10-19-2016, 06:19 AM
I pull a cargo trailer for work, easy, never had to deal with sway. I have my first TT on order, so it's now something I need to be prepared for. I will have WD w/sway.

Ok, the question...a veteran tower told me that if you have a sway situation developing to grab a little bit of brake on the controller. My rookie intuition says it makes sense that braking the trailer a bit rather than the TV would help settle things down.

Enlighten me.

chuckster57
10-19-2016, 06:53 AM
If you stay on the accelerator pedal and apply trailer brakes, it will cause the trailer to "straighten up" and follow you. Braking the trailer causes a drag, and if your going straight the object being drug will stay straight.

Ken / Claudia
10-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Only problem about using the brake controller only. If you are not good at doing so with practice. And you cause the trailer tires to skid, you may just cause a jack knife. A rolling tire has friction, a skidding tire lost that friction and goes faster. (Police driving 101) do not skid. A skidding tire because it goes faster will push. Believe me since vehicles came up with the anti skid feature, people control vehicles much better it a OH s**** moment. During driver training and accident investigation We watched hours of cars and comm. vehicles being tested with panic stops. (None pulling a RV that I remember). With and without anti skid, without front brakes, locked up trailer brakes etc. And most fun we did it with police cars at high speed on the track.