PDA

View Full Version : Generator

jaw111
10-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Is there a transfer switch when you start the gen set.when I start the gen i get no power to the camper.i know i get power to the inverter but not out from the inverter,i have a 2008 big sky,my gen set is a onan lp 5500

notanlines
10-19-2016, 04:13 AM
Jaw, you might need to explain yourself a little more distinctly. Some of us are a little thick. Your generator will start and run. You give it about 30 seconds or so to warm up and get "rockin". Now is when I begin to lose you. You maintain that you have power to the inverter. Any chance you are referring to the "converter?" And if so, are you saying that the receptacle the converter is plugged into is hot? If that receptacle is not hot then the converter will not be putting out any voltage at all.. You might have to look into the automatic transfer switch (probably looks about the size of a cigar box with a number of wires in and out, maybe in your basement) Google the brand automatic transfer switch you have and download the owners manual. It should give you a little more info.

fjrandy
10-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Look on the generator by the start button. there is a breaker switch round there on a 4000. Had same issue when i fired my up.

Ken / Claudia
10-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Others may do this differently. But, since the genny is a engine, I always start them just like any other engine. I let them warm up a minute or 2 without taking off or in this case, leave that switch off. Than I switch that switch on so the engine takes a load and runs higher rpms as a warmed up engine not cold. Sounds like you do not have a manual for it, contact a dealer and get one.