PDA

View Full Version : built in generator? pics?

autoxtech
10-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Hello , i just pick up a 300srx and plan on doing a lot of boon docking and was wondering if anybody has set up a built in generator instead of having it in a truck and moving the generator around every time. thanks

roadglide
10-14-2016, 07:33 PM
The biggest problem will be sealing the gases from coming into the rig setting off co alarms.

chuckster57
10-15-2016, 06:49 AM
Couple of questions: are you talking about putting a portable gen inside a compartment or installing a permanent one?

If you are going to use a permanent one you need to consider fuel source/type. Ventilation for exhaust and cooling. Transfer switch/ remote start.

If your trailer wasn't "generator ready" from the factory, I would probably just use a portable one or two tethered.

Desert185
10-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I went with two, 2K, 'suitcase' gens in my SRX, and just run one or two (paralled) as needed. It just seemed like the most practical solution of having appropriate power, moving gens around and "gas mileage" vs effort required to properly install a larger, built-in gen, wires, fuel tank, etc.

Ken / Claudia
10-15-2016, 09:06 AM
I had a artic fox with built in genny. For me here is the good and bad. Good is that no lifting or moving it. Start switch inside rv. Mine ran on propane also good. Bad it is loud due to being a couple feet away from were you sit etc. I needed to have the TV turned up full to hear the tv with it running. It caused vibrations in the rv near the genny as it ran. Difficult to work on.
I have had several other gennys of the portable kind. Now have a 2000 Yamaha. They are the way to go. Any suit case genny that is. Easy too pick up 50--60 lbs run so silent and put them away from the rv, say 10 ft and no sound inside the rv from that engine. Easy on gas. Get two if your needing the AC on. 2 Yamaha 2000s with a cable kit are still cheaper than a 3500 oman that I had.