PDA

View Full Version : New tow vehicle

richf28
05-01-2011, 01:14 AM
We bought a 2010 Hornet 28RLS this year. We brought it home 100 miles towing it with a 2003 Avalance. It was a little concerning on the way home that the engine was labored and mpg was around 6. We were towing in high winds though. Decided to purchase the new 2011 Ford F-150 with the Ecoboost V6 engine. WOW! haven't towed with it yet but the handling and power of this thing is awesome. As soon as the weather allows I want to hook up and tow. Keep you all informed on the outcome.

cumminsdad08
05-01-2011, 04:41 AM
congrats on the new truck. i hope it performs as well as you hope. the new fords are really sharp, i half thought about trading up on one, but i just can't part with my baby yet.

Paddler
05-01-2011, 07:06 AM
I echo the congrats on your new truck. When I first read ...V6...I must admit ...I wasn't impressed. So I did a quick look-see on the Ford website and the Ecoboost V6 has the top tow ratings of all the Ford gassers! I was truelly shocked!
Good luck with your new rig and let us know how the truck does over time.

Pete and Jeanne
05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
richf28..congrats..you won't be sorry..you're towing a little more than me but I did the same thing you ..stepped up to eco-boost...it's a hoot isn't it..I'm tugging a new Keystone 19'(just me and Maw-Maw)..But needed a larger TV.(Aw..darn). Enjoy the ride..and again congrats!!

DEW
05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I tow my 2011 291TG with a 2003 Avalanche. So far no issues... will upgrade the TV when needed, just not now

KanTC
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
For anyone interested -- SPEED Channel, May 7th, Sat.

"Test Drive: Ford F-150 EcoBoost Torture Test"

(Check your local listings for times... plus, I'm sure there will be a re-play)
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Pete and Jeanne
05-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Don't know if you've seen this on YouTube..IF they really do WHAT they SAY they did to this engine is true...WATTA MILL..All kidding aside..it would be fun to watch again..and I'm totally likiing MY Eboosa!!!

richf28
05-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I watched the torture test on Ford/f150 website. That is what finally sold me on the truck. We finally getting a nice day here in Dreery Erie, PA. So I'm going to hook up and try a test tow. Anyone have an opinion on weather to have tow/haul mode on or off with the Ecoboost platform?

Paddler
05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I really can't speak for Ford but GM's guidance was use Tow/Haul mode when your load is >70% of GCVWR or driving conditions (hills, wind, etc,) make it desirable.

richf28
05-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Ok, took to the roads yesterday for the first tow. Must say I was impressed. The engine pulled effortlessly. I did use tow/haul mode the whole 33 mile trip. The first leg was a curvy 15 mile rural highway at 45-50 mph and I averaged 10.5 mpg. The second leg was 12 mile rural highway, a bit staighter but hilly at agin 45-50 mph. It managed the hills like there was nothing hooked to it and averaged 9.5 mpg. The last leg was interstste. Tried to keep at 55-60 mph but found a few times closer to 70 before I knew it. Did manage to pass without a problem but would say with the traffic being heavy it wasn't the best situation. Averaged 11 mpg.
Did have some swaying but I don't have my Reese dual cam set to where it should be yet. I Like It!

azr405
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Well picked up our new camper and had absolutely no trouble towing our 327 5th wheel. Never checked the fuel mileage on the way home but was very pleased with the power in the 6.7L diesel. Will check out mileage soon however

Txoutback
06-03-2011, 01:56 PM
I have been towing a 4000 lb dry 24' Sportsmen with a 1997 F150 4.6L 3.73 for the past 8 years and didn't have any problems. It was time for a new TV so I trot down to the local Ford Dealer to pick up a new 5.0L. They didn't have what I was wanting as far as style and color on the lot with a 5.0 but did have my truck with this little 3.5L. I was totally clueless on the EB. Turbos? I read the spec's and grinned a little, took it for a test drive and grinned alot. What a hoot. Bought It :)
After 1000 mi break in I hooked it up to my little TT and it moved it with no effort. Well, time for a bigger TT. Trotted down to the local camper dealer and picked up an Outback 277RL yesterday. 20 mile trip home mostly highway at 12 mpg and still had plenty of power left. I'm VERY Impressed with this little engine that can. Question is for how long :confused:

Enjoy your new rig Rich
Dave

richf28
06-04-2011, 01:43 AM
I really think I hit the jackpot on this the ecoboost. I am on another camping weekend about 30 miles from home and decided to pull here on the rural roads instead of interstate. Through all the twistys, hills, traffic, and small towns it never labored and the tranny temp was around 190. Averaged 9.8 mpg. The campground is having a car show today and I thought I would enter it just to give it some exposure to other campers looking into a new tv.