PDA

View Full Version : Oregon weather front suggestion.

roadglide
10-10-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm here at cresent city shore line . The fishing was grate today . I have plans to move up north to south beach Oregon then further north to ft Stevens. I'm debating on cutting my Oregon trip out because of the pacific weather slamming the coastline. Would it be something I should consider calling off a trip.

LarrySharon
10-10-2016, 06:10 PM
It will depend what you can stand. Weather will be good till Wednesday night, so far anyway. But if you leave and go up there tomorrow and just going to spend a couple of days you should be fine. I know we are planning to go to Ft Stephens on Wednesday to check out the sites for future camping. If you go to Ft Ste. make sure you go to Astoria to the Bow Picker rated number one in the area for fish and chips. People travel to the Bow Picker a couple hours away to eat there. Hope you are able to make it.

gkainz
10-11-2016, 05:29 AM
depends on how great the fishing was - post pictures of fish! :)

roadglide
10-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Good day on the Atlantic.

roadglide
10-11-2016, 07:22 AM
This is called copper rock looks are not deceiving. We where on the water by 9 and fileting our limit at 3. My neighbor has cyclone with 18 ft garage that just fits his aluminum boat wit 40 hp motor , I'll say he is retired younger fishermen . All he is doing is fishing the coast .

Murphsmom
10-11-2016, 10:39 AM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_213497_0_21fc1e0e7de3b7829556db5c0fbb81a2.jpg
It was pouring rain all day in Newport (late September), but 50 miles out, the sun was shining and the tuna were biting. The seven fishermen on the trip brought in 28 fish.

gkainz
10-11-2016, 10:45 AM
If the fish are biting, I'm staying! :)

Pull Toy
10-11-2016, 03:06 PM
ADD PONTOONS!!!! NO WORRIES!!!

When their biting, no retreat!!!

Mandolin
10-12-2016, 07:25 PM
The weather is from the remnants of Typhoon Songda and the coast can expect high seas, heavy rain (more than we normally get in a month) and heavy wind. Looking at the coastal forecasts, you've got pretty much 100% chance of rain, at times heavy, from Thursday through mid-Monday. Newport to Astoria is supposed to be seeing wind gusts 45-55 mph on Saturday.

From the marine forecast: "Expect seas to rapidly build with the increasing winds later Thu, eventually reaching 20 to 25 ft Thu night."

ETA: Watch for landslides and rockfalls along the coast highways. A lot of those hillsides are unstable in really wet weather, and particularly watch the sea cliffs.

Steve S
10-13-2016, 09:48 AM
This is called copper rock looks are not deceiving. We where on the water by 9 and fileting our limit at 3. My neighbor has cyclone with 18 ft garage that just fits his aluminum boat wit 40 hp motor , I'll say he is retired younger fishermen . All he is doing is fishing the coast .

That's an interesting looking fish, it looks like the rock fish that I catch on the Gulf Islands. So how does it taste?

Ken / Claudia
10-13-2016, 10:53 AM
I would not let this be a end to my trip. Have good wiper blades, plan on driving slower in the wind. Stop and buy a rain coat if do not have one. I live here so I have maybe 6 rain coats.

cpaulsen
10-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Here in Lincoln City from midnight to 8 am we had 1.02 inches of rain.

roadglide
10-13-2016, 07:10 PM
I had Oregon ranger trim a few branches around my rig I can say Oregon park rangers are the best and the state parks. Nothing but rain and wind her at south beach but it's only a fraction of what's going on at Newport. The park is conceald by trees and high dunes. I was told the mt slides are wourse going south. I visited the new port under water aquarium was excellent.

roadglide
10-13-2016, 07:16 PM
There are a lot different type of rock fish copper rockfish. there good .

Murphsmom
10-14-2016, 05:10 AM
If you do get north to Ft Stevens, the Maritime Museum in Astoria us a good way to spend some time. In addition, if you are headed south on an inland route, a day spent at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville is hard to beat.

rhagfo
12-01-2016, 10:46 AM
I would not let this be a end to my trip. Have good wiper blades, plan on driving slower in the wind. Stop and buy a rain coat if do not have one. I live here so I have maybe 6 rain coats.

LOL! One would let a little rain and wind stop a trip up the Oregon Coast! :banghead:

We each have three sets of coats, I think I will look for a complete Coat and Pants, will be spending the month of January Hosting at South Beach SP.

Ken / Claudia
12-01-2016, 11:00 AM
If we can get away in Jan, we will visit South Beach SP and say hello. Been there several times in winter. Kind of pick where ever you want to park type light use of the park this time of year.

roadglide
12-01-2016, 02:58 PM
We left south beach New port OR Oct the weather was fine but there was aftermath typhoon and tornados coming in the next day we drug up and went west . I canceled Fort stevens ST park and 2 other areas in OR, for 250 east the storm hammered us till we went S for reno Nevada. We sat in the truck watching the storm at NewPort coast along with other storm watchers. If you go visit the New Port the State aquarium is very cool.

cpaulsen
12-01-2016, 04:57 PM
LOL! One would let a little rain and wind stop a trip up the Oregon Coast! :banghead:

We each have three sets of coats, I think I will look for a complete Coat and Pants, will be spending the month of January Hosting at South Beach SP.

We will be back in Lincoln City/Devil's Lake SP in March.......currently at Valley of the Rogue SP. We hosted @ South Beach.....very nice park and all the rangers were great!:)

rhagfo
01-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Currently at South Beach enjoying the winter weather! We will be getting some wind and rain over the next day or so.:D

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_221603_0_8198254247940dcd60e225ff17337f2d.png