PDA

View Full Version : Heated water hose

nesparky
10-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Trying to decide if I want to spend the big $$ on a heated hose or not. I can't really seem to find any recent reviews on them.
So does anyone have experience with them?

Tbos
10-08-2016, 05:53 AM
I think it depends on where you are going to be and how cold it will get. I've seen people using them in MD since it gets below freezing here in the winter.

CWSWine
10-08-2016, 07:03 AM
We had our hose freeze once and also froze the water value open. I'm not sure if a heated hose would prevent the value from freezing. Now if it's going to freeze at night we just fill our fresh water tank during the day and turn on the tank heaters and disconnect the hose.

Desert185
10-08-2016, 08:45 AM
We had our hose freeze once and also froze the water value open. I'm not sure if a heated hose would prevent the value from freezing. Now if it's going to freeze at night we just fill our fresh water tank during the day and turn on the tank heaters and disconnect the hose.

Short term, overnight that's what I have done, although I don't have tank heat. If it were a long term situation, I would use heat at the connection points and insulate the hose really well. The effectiveness of this all depends on how cold the ambient temp becomes, of course. If it were cold enough to require a heated and insulated water hose, then I think there would be other issues with the trailer's water and drain system that would be of concern. Full timing in exceptionally cold weather would be a challenge I wouldn't want to particularly experience with a trailer.

nesparky
10-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Wintering in central Minnesota

JRTJH
10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
If you're going to attempt to winter in Minnesota, you might want to do some reading on Geo's threads concerning his efforts to make his trailer suitable for extended winter travel/use. Just my opinion, but it's going to take a bit more than just a "heated hose" to make your Avalanche "warm and toasty" during a Minnesota blizzard.....

You can start with his comments in this thread: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8517

hdxbonez
10-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Trying to decide if I want to spend the big $$ on a heated hose or not. I can't really seem to find any recent reviews on them.
So does anyone have experience with them?

I just purchased and installed the 25' Camco heated hose based on the Amazon reviews that I found.. I'll be wintering in New Hampshire this year, that ought to give it a fair test!
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22902-TastePURE-Heated-Drinking/dp/B00HSE3E3G

bobbecky
10-08-2016, 07:23 PM
We have had a Pirit hose through three winters, and have never had it freeze. If you get one, make sure the thermostat sensor remains exposed to outside air, and either plug it into a non-GFI outlet, or plug into the GFI and make sure the plugs exposed to rain and snow are protected so they don't get wet and trip the GFI, or the hose will freeze due to lack of power. The coldest we were in was 9 degrees, and it worked perfectly.

sourdough
10-10-2016, 02:35 PM
We've had good luck with our heated hose. The lowest temps we have been in are the teens.

mikell
10-14-2016, 09:37 AM
I built my own hose that lasted 5 years it had to go the whole 50' and never was an issue.

Posted about it somewhere here.

Mikell