PDA

View Full Version : F 150 transmission cooler

gahanunda
04-30-2011, 08:39 AM
I have a 2005 f150 4.6L. Towing Passport 195RB dry weight 3800lbs. Transmission cooler on rad and another 3"x23"x1.5" mounted in front of AC condensor. Do I need a supplemental transmission cooler

Paddler
04-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I added a 3rd cooler to our 1500 GMC when I was towing a 7800 lb trailer. I guess the questions you need to ask yourself are...what is the normal air temperatures you will tow in? What kind of terran will you normally tow in? If you answer high temps or hilly terrans I suggest the $150 spent buying and installing the tranny cooller is pretty cheap insurance. If you said less than 90 F and flat terran, you're good to go as is.Hope that helps,

JRTJH
04-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Use caution installing too much transmission cooling. During the winter, your transmission may not get up to normal temperature and you can do as much harm as you would by overheating. If you have a transmission temp guage, monitor it, if not, then watch your transmission fluid color on the dip stick, if it stays red, you're probably OK, if it starts getting darker, and smells like it's burned, you'd probably need more cooling. I am not sure if you really need one, if you already have a cooler in front of the radiator and the internal radiator cooler, AND you're not going over your truck's GCVW or recommended trailer weight, then I'd not install one just because they're available.

cumminsdad08
05-01-2011, 04:51 AM
i would say not, even loaded that trailer shouldn't be too heavy for that truck. i wouldn't worry about it. like said before, check your fluids on a regular basis, and make sure its not burning it off or getting really dark. the truck was set up and designed to pull what it says it can pull. sometimes you don't want to over enginere your vehicals by adding things that you can just add, if you know what i mean. you may have change your fluids on a shorter basis if you are going to be towing a lot. i am just shooting from the hip here, i never owned an automatic, so i never really worried about over heating it.