PDA

View Full Version : Keys

tribalsimba
04-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I have four sets of keys with my new 303TG.
Three sets have black plastic molding on them, the final set is brass with no molding.

The brass keys (CHXXX) work the outside kitchen, outside shower, and front pass-thru outdoor storage.

One set of the molded keys (GXXX) works both locks on the outside door to the bathroom (love this door).

Another set (GXXX) works both locks on the main entry door.

Cannot figure what the third molded set (HFXXX) is for.

Festus2
04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
There is no need to disguise your key number for the storage compartment doors, the exterior shower and kitchen. Let me guess .....CH751. I have the same keys as you do and so does everybody else. Seems like there is one set of keys that fits everyone's storage "lock" - regardless of make or model --- all the same.
You should be safe with the others.

Bob Landry
04-30-2011, 05:14 AM
I'm wondering what difference it makes if it takes a separate key to open the two entry doors. If someone has a key to unlock either door, he has access to the whole trailer. I'm thinking of taking one of the door latches and having it keyed so one key opens both doors and get rid of a key on my key ring. I also have Combi-Locks to put on the baggabe doors so I can get rid of the 751 key.

tribalsimba
05-01-2011, 04:17 PM
But what is the HFXXX key for?

I realize for the most part the keys are the same. Quite frankly if you wiggle enough, you can get pretty much any key on the ring to work in any of the locks. Kind of scary.

Handysam
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Could the HF keys possibly work a lock/safe box under the bed? If I'm right do I get a prize?

KanTC
05-02-2011, 09:19 AM
tribalsimba,

Our Laredo 5th wheel keys are 'HF' (black molded)... one to the entry door, one to the bus-style baggage doors. I'm wondering if maybe you were given the 'HF' keys (from a 5th wheel) by mistake??

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

tribalsimba
05-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Have not found a lock box/safe.

I'm wondering if there is a hidden "Meet the Parents" office underneath something that this key will open.

DTJ9610
05-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I would guess you were give keys.... to a new car!!! Sorry I loved the price is right. I received 3 sets. The everybody loves CH, and the 2 black molded for the front and rear doors which were "M" keys. Other then that there isn't anything else to unlock on the trailer.

As KanTC said the dealer may have given you a set to another camper by accident.

Bob Landry
05-04-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm on my second trailer and I havn't seen a CH751 key with any kind of a black head on it.

jje1960
05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
With our SRX, have separate keys for the doors, common key for the storage doors and key for the water hatch. Hate having separate keys for the doors, what a pain!

Maxzd
05-04-2011, 09:37 PM
With our SRX, have separate keys for the doors, common key for the storage doors and key for the water hatch. Hate having separate keys for the doors, what a pain!

The separate door keys drive me crazy.. I should just put a sticker on one of the keys so I know which one but each time. I almost never get the right key in the correct door, you'd think with a 50/50 chance I'd have good odds!

I've thought about taking one of the locks out and taking it to a locksmith to have it re-keyed so both deadbolts to match. Has anyone done this, is it possible to adjust the lock tumber in an RV Deadbolt?

THedges
05-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I hate having separate keys for the outside doors! Last weekend I mistakenly put the wrong key in the dead bolt and it locked, but wouldn't unlock. Then the correct key wouldn't work. It took me about an hour to get everything working again. What a pain!!!

tribalsimba
05-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Dealer said that they are for 2011 Laredo 5th Wheels; and I should not have them. So I will return them; unless someone wants to give me a million bucks for them. :)

I asked if both doors could be keyed identical; and they said it can be ordered that way. This was never given as an option during the ordering process, so I asked if there was anyway it could be done after the fact. He's looking into it. I'm sure he has a way; since they are so generic.

Bob Landry
05-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Your local locksmith will do it a lot cheaper than if the dealr is involved.

tribalsimba
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Just talked to the locksmith; and he said he would re-tumble all four key-holes (two on each door) for about $60.00 ($15/tumbler). He also said he has some storage lock solutions for me to look at when I get there; although I do like the combination style ones.

Am I 'over-paranoid' about these keys all being the same?

Festus2
05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
We have owned a variety of RV's over the years and they all have had "lockable" storage areas and compartments that could be unlocked by anyone else who had RV keys. During this time, we have never experienced any problem anywhere with theft of stored items in the exterior compartments of our RV. That is not to say that it won't happen on our next trip. It is not something that I have been concerned about but perhaps should be.
If not doing anything about your present locks is going to be a source of worry for you, then it might make your camping more enjoyable and less stressful if you were to look at a differfent and better lock system. Peace of mind?

Bryishre
05-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm wondering what difference it makes if it takes a separate key to open the two entry doors. If someone has a key to unlock either door, he has access to the whole trailer. I'm thinking of taking one of the door latches and having it keyed so one key opens both doors and get rid of a key on my key ring. I also have Combi-Locks to put on the baggabe doors so I can get rid of the 751 key.

I thought about getting thoes locks myself. But then i found one with the key that looks like it opens drink machines. What size are the locks? Im guessing 7/8.

Bob Landry
05-24-2011, 04:52 AM
I thought about getting thoes locks myself. But then i found one with the key that looks like it opens drink machines. What size are the locks? Im guessing 7/8.

I didn't look into the "drink Machine" locks. I'm wondering if they all come with different keys. if so, can they be re-tumbled for one key? If not you end up with even more keys to carry around. If they come with a "standard" key, that everyone is going to have, then you aren't any better off than with the CH751 key system.

Sig 40
06-07-2011, 05:56 AM
I just bought the 303tg and also recieved 4 sets of keys with one set that does not work. I also didnt understand why they would key the locks different, I marked mine so i could tell the difference. Getting the locks keyed the same may be the way to go. The extra set i may see if they can be cut to match one of my working sets.

Sig

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-07-2011, 06:26 AM
I think the only reason they key the locks different is because it's easier. When its time to hang the outside doors they can just grab two and not have to worry about matching them. It kinda amazes me that they advertise cherry cabinets, fancy stereos, etc. and then they cut corners on something as simple as a keyed doors that affect us nearly daily. Blows my mind.

They need to have some of us that actually use these things meet with the designers for a day.

tribalsimba
07-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Dealer had no idea. They gladly took back the HF keys; as I can't see a use for them, but if we find the use; I can go back and get them.

lescarp2
08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
We have the 303TG. We received only the brass keys for the baggage doors/outside kitchen/outside shower, the keys for the main door, and the keys for the bathroom door. I think you were given an extra key by mistake.

chain_dogg
08-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Here are my my mystery keys

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_18118_0_d523cca6577eebed892621d8dec86177.jpg

jcscotson
08-22-2011, 08:03 AM
I do a little locksmithing, The 751 is univeral in Keystone. The locks are simple cabnet locks. Any hardware store should carry them. You can replace the entire lock for about $5.00 if you are worried. The reality check is that the doors are not strong enough to stop even mild forced entry. Locks only keep honest people honest. I am going to rekey booth doors the same. You can get a blank and cut one door on one side and the other door on the other thus having only one key. Happy trails

Rock7
08-22-2011, 05:13 PM
08 Cougar cannot be secured,just by locking doors.
They have the dirty clothes drop at the top of the step. When I leave mine,I always pull the pocket door closed, to secure the clothes drop.
CH751 also works on pickup bed toppers. Basically, anyone with a topper has a key to your unit.

Rock7
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I have an FIC key fits my tool box in my trk. The other key looks like my fire box key. Look for a safe in the unit.