PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Keep An RV Battery Charged During Winter Storage

busterbrown
10-02-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm still more than a 1 month out from winterizing and storing my Bullet after its first season of use. What are some of the best options for maintaining the deep cycle battery at optimum performance during the winter months. I was going to pull the 12 volt battery from the box and trickle charge it to capacity for several days at the end of each month while the TT is in storage. The battery would be in my temperature controlled basement lying on my work bench. I've been reading up on inexpensive solar panel chargers that could also be used for this specific purpose. I could just keep the battery on the trailer in storage and have the solar panel keep the battery topped off.

Which is the better option for the life of the battery?

chuckster57
10-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Given the option to remove it and keep it in a temp controlled environment, that would be my first choice.

Leaving a portable solar charger hooked up in public storage, is in my opinion asking for it to disappear.

bsmith0404
10-03-2016, 04:12 AM
pull it, put it in your basement, hook up the battery tender and forget it. No need to deal with it each month, just make sure the water is topped off.

Campy
10-03-2016, 05:16 AM
pull it, put it in your basement, hook up the battery tender and forget it. No need to deal with it each month, just make sure the water is topped off.

Agreed, simple and worry free. Batteries are big theft items as well as propane tanks. Dope heads use the propane to cook meth so it's high theft item around me, they steal the tanks and cut off the regulator. Out of sight out of mind!

Tbos
10-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger in the garage.

slow
10-03-2016, 06:02 PM
I also pull my battery and charge it in my basement over the winter along with the TV's battery.

I use the Xtreme Charge XC100-P from PulseTech and the 4 station Quad link. I can vouch for their claim that their charger is effective at de-sulfating batteries.

http://www.pulsetech.net/Xtreme-Charge-4Station-QuadLink-Battery-Charger-Kit-7393.aspx

Desert185
10-03-2016, 07:07 PM
I noticed today that Costco was carrying this one again for $39.99.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-022-0202-dl-wh-battery-tender-6-12v-3a.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwg8i_BRCT9dHt5ZSGi90BEiQAItdj pJiV8xgEXWH377Fzaf-HU0Znj6BSIZZ0cJseuMp13TUaAgFK8P8HAQ

Also, $10 off on a 6qt case of Mobil 1. Limit three.