PDA

View Full Version : Winterize Question About City Water Connection

77vetter
10-02-2016, 02:11 PM
I winterized the fifth wheel today and got the water system drained and primed with anti-freeze ok. I then turned off the water pump, turned on the cold water to relieve pressure and went out to hand pump some anti-freeze into the city water connection.

I tried pumping several times but I could not get it to take. its like it was plugged or something. I pumped it a couple of time to get it primed and then it was so much pressure that the plastic hose popped off the brass connector at the city water connection.

I tried the same scenario at the black water inlet and it worked fine. What did I do wrong?

77vetter
10-02-2016, 03:22 PM
I winterized the fifth wheel today and got the water system drained and primed with anti-freeze ok. I then turned off the water pump, turned on the cold water to relieve pressure and went out to hand pump some anti-freeze into the city water connection.

I tried pumping several times but I could not get it to take. its like it was plugged or something. I pumped it a couple of time to get it primed and then it was so much pressure that the plastic hose popped off the brass connector at the city water connection.

I tried the same scenario at the black water inlet and it worked fine. What did I do wrong?

I found out what I did wrong, I need to have a faucet open in the camper and then it will flow, sorry for a stupid question

Desert185
10-02-2016, 03:27 PM
I don't use antifreeze. I blow out the system with air.

Just a reminder...don't forget the toilet flush valve, outside shower or any washer hookups...and drain the water heater, too.

Good luck.🍀

GaryWT
10-02-2016, 05:05 PM
If you did not blow out you lines before you added the antifreeze be sure you pump the antifreeze through the city water line until water comes out of the faucet otherwise you will have some water trapped in the line.

gkainz
10-03-2016, 10:24 AM
I don't use antifreeze. I blow out the system with air.

Just a reminder...don't forget the toilet flush valve, outside shower or any washer hookups...and drain the water heater, too.

Good luck.🍀

and the black tank flush line ...

Bowti
10-03-2016, 02:46 PM
What I do, which is in many videos, is to push a pencil like object into the water supply inlet to release the check valve while your pump is running. Do this until anti-freeze comes out just like you do for your faucets. Also don't forget your black tank cleaning spray line.

Desert185
10-03-2016, 02:53 PM
and the black tank flush line ...

Yes!

I also run the water pump for about 20 seconds with a faucet open and the line pressurized with air. Clears a bit more water out of it.

JRTJH
10-03-2016, 03:16 PM
What I do, which is in many videos, is to push a pencil like object into the water supply inlet to release the check valve while your pump is running. Do this until anti-freeze comes out just like you do for your faucets. Also don't forget your black tank cleaning spray line.

That is one way to purge water from the line, but be careful not to dislodge the O-ring in the valve seat. If you do, it's buy another city water inlet as there's no way to replace the O-ring and without it the valve will "blow water" out the side of your RV when you turn on the water pump.

If you think about it, using air to push water out of the system as the first step in winterizing will eliminate almost all of the water in that part of the line. Then, once you hook up the antifreeze line and turn on the water pump, the pressure will "backfill" that part of the line with antifreeze and protect it from winter's temps.

Don N.
10-04-2016, 10:57 PM
What type of hand pump did you use and where did you get it?

JRTJH
10-05-2016, 06:07 AM
Here's one RV Antifreeze Hand Pump: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-Hand-Pump-Kit/dp/B0006IX7YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475676319&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+antifreeze+hand+pump

Bowti
10-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Here's one RV Antifreeze Hand Pump: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-Hand-Pump-Kit/dp/B0006IX7YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475676319&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+antifreeze+hand+pump

This is the same one that I use. It works perfectly as described.

I like to just use the anti-freeze flushing method over the air method as I don't have to have the expense of compressor, hose, and correct fittings,

I also don't have to worry about supplying to much air pressure and damaging an inaccessible line. There is also the problem that if all the moisture is not out, it may settle in a low area and cause problems. I like the idea of having anti-freeze in the system to prevent any leftover water from freezing.

With anti-freeze I can also winterize any place at any time by just having a couple of gallons and the hand pump with me as I travel.

mdrucker
10-05-2016, 11:54 AM
once you have the pink stuff coming out the outside shower cant you conect that hose to the city water?

Bowti
10-05-2016, 12:37 PM
once you have the pink stuff coming out the outside shower cant you conect that hose to the city water?

I would say no, that line is under pressure. All you have to do, like previously mentioned, is to use a pencil like devise to stick in the city water supply fitting far enough to release the check valve.

Release the valve until anti-freeze comes out instead of water and the line is now protected. Like John said you do have to be careful not to mess up the check valve when doing this, but it is not that difficult to do once you have done it. By the way, stand out of the way when doing this or you will get wet.

mdrucker
10-05-2016, 02:29 PM
I would say no, that line is under pressure. All you have to do, like previously mentioned, is to use a pencil like devise to stick in the city water supply fitting far enough to release the check valve.

Release the valve until anti-freeze comes out instead of water and the line is now protected. Like John said you do have to be careful not to mess up the check valve when doing this, but it is not that difficult to do once you have done it. By the way, stand out of the way when doing this or you will get wet.will that method work with the new models that share the city water and tank fill?

Bowti
10-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Sorry, I know not of what you speak. I guess I have to get out more.:)

chuckster57
10-05-2016, 06:23 PM
will that method work with the new models that share the city water and tank fill?

I don't winterize since it doesn't get that cold here, but I know what valve your talking about. It flips 90 degrees to send incoming water to either the fresh tank or inside to the fixtures. I would guess if you set it to city water, then its "in line" with the faucets and such.

mdrucker
10-06-2016, 07:50 AM
I don't winterize since it doesn't get that cold here, but I know what valve your talking about. It flips 90 degrees to send incoming water to either the fresh tank or inside to the fixtures. I would guess if you set it to city water, then its "in line" with the faucets and such.
I have been
winterizing for 10 years with 5 different units with out problems but this is the first rv that has this valve, if it does not have the check valve I will just pump the antifreeze in to it with a pump also will do that with black tank flush.

Desert185
10-06-2016, 10:42 AM
This is the same one that I use. It works perfectly as described.

I like to just use the anti-freeze flushing method over the air method as I don't have to have the expense of compressor, hose, and correct fittings,

I also don't have to worry about supplying to much air pressure and damaging an inaccessible line. There is also the problem that if all the moisture is not out, it may settle in a low area and cause problems. I like the idea of having anti-freeze in the system to prevent any leftover water from freezing.

With anti-freeze I can also winterize any place at any time by just having a couple of gallons and the hand pump with me as I travel.

I carry a pancake compressor and a 2K gen with me all the time, so winterizing without antifreeze takes about 15-30 minutes...and speaking of expenses, all the anti freeze I need is only enough for the p-traps.

Got stuck a little too far north in Texas at a friend's one winter trip and had to winterize on the spot. Finally found a gallon of anti freeze for $7. :( No issues, but I did leave the fireplace on low overnight with the cupboard doors open. Gotta run the pump a bit to purge more water and then blow more for insurance. I suppose I would use the juice if it got much colder than where I live, but blowing out the system has been sufficient.

I adapted an air fitting to screw into the city water connection, so the process is pretty straight forward.