PDA

View Full Version : Move rear spare tire mount up

pakuma
10-01-2016, 11:33 AM
I want to move the stock spare tire up so that it does not drag whan going in and out of driveways. I looked a the BAL system while it looks good I would have to mount it forward of the wheels which makes it unuseable for me, because i don't want to add any hitch weight.
Does anybody make a higher mount?
Ideas pleaser.
Thanks

chuckster57
10-01-2016, 12:21 PM
If you have a square tube rear bumper, there are spare tire carriers that mount to it.

gearhead
10-01-2016, 03:17 PM
I had the same issue. I bought one designed for the rear bumper but it was too low. I ended up in the scrap yard buying some 1/2" thick steel and fabbed my own. I did use the little piece that the wheel bolts to from the store bought one. I think I have a pic on here somewhere.

gearhead
10-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Here ya go. A piece of 1/2" plate for the backup and another long? piece. I saved the little store bought piece the wheel bolts to...

bartbill
10-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Chuckster,

I have a 2012 Copper Canyon 28' 5th wheel. The square tube rear bumper holds the dump hose. Is this the square tube your are referring to? The spare tire mounts under the front between the landing gears. I want to move the spare so I can add Arm Strong stabilizers (or similar, or home-made).

chuckster57
10-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Yes. I have a '12 Copper Canyon also and my spare is in the same place as yours. My '97 Jayco had the same bumper and that's where the factory put the spare. It stayed there without issue for the 13 1/2 years I owned it.