PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my Truck.

JimHam
09-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Just bought my first travel trailer back in August, a Cougar Xlite 21RBS weighing in around 5500lb. I was towing with my 2012 F150 3.5 L Ecoboost. I had already had some incidents with the intake problems on that motor, with condensation building up in the intake getting sucked into the engine when under load, putting the engine in "limp" mode with severe loss of power. Paid Ford to "fix" the problem but it recurred. Going over a modest mountain with the Xlite near my home just to see what it would do at 60 mph, the motor overheated. Even though supposedly rated for 12 k this little 6 banger did not impress me at all, hence my decision to trade. Got a fair deal last week on the 2016 F250 Super Duty with the 6.7L diesel and I am very pleased with it so far. Can't tow anything with it till I get 1000 miles on it, according to my owners manual, but I took it on my first road trip this weekend and driving over the mountains around Asheville, NC to Atlanta the average MPG went UP from 17.2, just local driving, to 18.2 driving 65 to 70 MPH. Trip odometer for this trip showing 20 MPG with just over 700 total miles on the engine so far - not even broke in yet. Will be towing the X-lite to Nashville TN next weekend and anxious to see how she tows with the new Super Duty.

Tbos
09-23-2016, 05:19 PM
JimHam, now that you have a bigger truck, watch out for the dreaded urge to get a bigger TT or 5er. Enjoy your new truck and TT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueThunder34
09-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Congrats on the new truck! I did the same having a 14' Ecoboost, I traded up to a diesel and have never regretted it. I didn't have any problems with our Eco but I wanted more stability. You will love the power and stability that comes with these heavy duty trucks. Waiting to hit the 1,000 mile mark seemed to take an eternity for me and I drove all over the place to get there before I hitched a load to the truck, I wanted to do everything by the book with this truck to make it last, they aren't cheap! Enjoy your new truck!

mtofell
09-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Like Tbos says, watch out for the leapfrog RVs and truck game. It gets REALLY expensive. That's a great new truck you got. The Ford puts out an amazing amount of power. And with the 2017s being announced I'm sure the dealers are hungry to get rid of the 16s. I've been contemplating that exact truck but am trying to be responsible and save my pennies since my current truck does what I need it to do.

smpremier
09-24-2016, 02:27 PM
I tow with a 2013 f150 ecoboost and love it. I tow a 26 foot bullet premier and have no problem with towing up some pretty steep grades. Its probably one of the best gas motor tow vehicle's out there. But I know, nowhere close to a diesel. The condensation issue with them is a free fix if you know what to do. No problems here.

JimHam
09-25-2016, 04:02 AM
I thought the Ecoboost had a lot of power but still, you are pulling a lot out of a small engine and since I am getting ready to retire and spend time on the road out west with my camper I wanted the diesel. I did some research and saw where some guys were drilling a small drain hole in the manifold and claiming good results but I was not confident in that procedure. Did not want to take that on and damage the engine voiding warranty. Anyhow, it's done and here is the new one.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_212351_0_b8f53b37403626886b4271aa53981067.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

GaryWT
09-25-2016, 06:35 AM
Congrats and good luck.

T3/T4 Hybrid
09-25-2016, 03:04 PM
I thought the Ecoboost had a lot of power but still, you are pulling a lot out of a small engine and since I am getting ready to retire and spend time on the road out west with my camper I wanted the diesel. I did some research and saw where some guys were drilling a small drain hole in the manifold and claiming good results but I was not confident in that procedure. Did not want to take that on and damage the engine voiding warranty. Anyhow, it's done and here is the new one.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_212377_0_b8f53b37403626886b4271aa53981067.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Nice looking truck. :cool:

I switch to diesel last year and could not be happier.

CaptnJohn
09-25-2016, 03:19 PM
You are going to be very happy with your new truck. The only drawback is it will not take long to want a bigger camper! :party:

sourdough
09-28-2016, 05:56 PM
You will be more than happy with the diesel. The Ecoboost is a small motor put on steroids.....and steroids always have a downside. Retiring and wanting the most out of your truck.....you done good!

JimHam
09-30-2016, 06:49 AM
When I studied power mechanics in college one thing that stuck with me was when you increase the output of a motor you decrease the life of that motor. When you stick a blower on a 6-banger you can milk more HP out of it but that motor has it's limits. The harder you work it the shorter it's life. What is the life of a souped-up drag racing engine or a NASCAR motor - one race? Two? Not sure but you get my point.

smpremier
09-30-2016, 09:39 AM
That's why Toyota's and honda's last so long= no power.

JimHam
09-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Here's the new rig ready for the road. Thought I would be heading towards Percy Priest Lake near Nashville, TN to run my dog this weekend but work and other responsibilities interfered so I am still at home. Looks like my maiden voyage with the new TV will be the end of the month. At least I got the hitch adjusted and the gain set on the brakes so I am ready to go next time.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_212715_0_35aa92b3eafcad6026bd2e09e5104234.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Model A Driver
09-30-2016, 04:15 PM
I upgraded my tow vehicle yesterday after a year of research. I moved away from the Ecoboost when that forum added a thread devoted to blown engines. You will do fine with the F250. Have fun with it.

Dave W
09-30-2016, 05:38 PM
That truck is way overkill for that little bitty trailer. I suggest you immediately find an RV dealer and trade up to a decent size 5th wheel - probably around 35-38 feet and let the new truck stretch its legs. We had to do that when our 27 foot TT and 5.4 F150 went to a 33 foot 5th wheel and F350 V10 then to a 38 foot fiver and now a 6.7 diesel. 18,000 miles in two years pulling that 38 foot 5er with the diesel, I still keep smiling.

Oh, nice truck :D"bouncey::D

BlueThunder34
09-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Here's the new rig ready for the road. Thought I would be heading towards Percy Priest Lake near Nashville, TN to run my dog this weekend but work and other responsibilities interfered so I am still at home. Looks like my maiden voyage with the new TV will be the end of the month. At least I got the hitch adjusted and the gain set on the brakes so I am ready to go next time.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_212726_0_35aa92b3eafcad6026bd2e09e5104234.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Good looking setup, you're going to love the way it pulls!

JimHam
09-30-2016, 07:09 PM
That truck is way overkill for that little bitty trailer. I suggest you immediately find an RV dealer and trade up to a decent size 5th wheel - probably around 35-38 feet and let the new truck stretch its legs. We had to do that when our 27 foot TT and 5.4 F150 went to a 33 foot 5th wheel and F350 V10 then to a 38 foot fiver and now a 6.7 diesel. 18,000 miles in two years pulling that 38 foot 5er with the diesel, I still keep smiling.

Oh, nice truck :D"bouncey::D

Nah, my little trailer will be enough. I'll wave at ya when I pass you going over a mountain range in Montana. :wave:

Dave W
10-01-2016, 03:34 AM
Nah, my little trailer will be enough. I'll wave at ya when I pass you going over a mountain range in Montana. :wave:

Maybe, if you can catch up:D. We can stop and have a cuppa joe then:thumbsup:

old timer
10-01-2016, 03:57 AM
You will love the power of the 6.7. I am impressed at how easy the truck will go over mountains. We went on a 3 month trip across the U.S. from the west coast to the east coast. Towed about 12,000 miles. Did some sight seeing and there wasn't a mountain that I had any problem with. Even went over the Tetons Pass with ease. I have a 34 foot Montana which tops out at 13,000 Lbs.
You will enjoy your truck.

notanlines
10-01-2016, 05:12 AM
Jim, we should have a section on this forum just for the "Naw, my little trailer will be enough" people. I guess you could probably feel most of us smiling when we read your post. You have a nice rig; nicer than your average bear! But in about a few months your DW or SO is going to glance at a fiver with a couple slides in the RV park, or in CW when you "just stop in to look around." That is when she'll notice that RV's come with king beds, and, my gosh, four door refrigerators. And, holy cow, LOOK at the size of those TV's (Yes, three of them.) I'll not mention twin recliners, central vac.....
Anyway, again, you have a nice rig. Enjoy it while you can. Even better things will be on the way.

gearhead
10-01-2016, 03:41 PM
How it went for me:
GMC 2500 w/ 6.0 gas; Cougar XLite 28SGS, then F350 w 6.7, then Montana HC, then Ram.
That is a great color combo. Looks cool.
One word about the Ford...check the owners manual about oil recommendations, mine recommended 5W-40 synthetic if towing. (Y'all knew I would bring this up didn't ya?)
I would naturally recommend that highly regarded Shell Rotella T6 synthetic. LOL

JimHam
10-01-2016, 06:57 PM
It has been a progression for us. We started with tent camping on our honeymoon 36 years ago. Then we rented pop ups for our vacations and tented on weekends. Moved to Idaho in 04 and I splurged on a slide in truck camper. That only lasted two years then I got the Starcraft RT 11 pop up which I used the heck out of and just sold last week. The cougar is like a condo in comparison so we're pretty happy with it. We camp to be out-of-doors so we really just need a place to sleep. But I've never been not working where I could just go for months if I wanted to so y'all may be right on the upgrade stuff. If I upgrade you folks will be the first to know!

old timer
10-02-2016, 05:35 AM
How it went for me:
GMC 2500 w/ 6.0 gas; Cougar XLite 28SGS, then F350 w 6.7, then Montana HC, then Ram.
That is a great color combo. Looks cool.
One word about the Ford...check the owners manual about oil recommendations, mine recommended 5W-40 synthetic if towing. (Y'all knew I would bring this up didn't ya?)
I would naturally recommend that highly regarded Shell Rotella T6 synthetic. LOL
I always run synthetic. Never know when I'm going to hook up the 5er and head out.