PDA

View Full Version : Local Activity App?

GrandBob
09-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know of a good app that will let us know what is going on in the local area? I'm looking for stuff like museums, fairs, swimming holes, fun stuff to do.

We are about to start out full time touring (we just closed the house Monday!) and would like a way to learn about the local flavor.

Thanks
Grandbob

Pull Toy
09-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Best advice I can give you is ask at the front desk at the Campground, they're local, and usually have a handle on the local events. Ask, but also look for brochures, posters, and fliers. We also usually Google the Name of the Town + Tourism. This weekend we'll be in Gloucester, MA (pronounced GLOUSTA believe it or not) so I Googled "Gloucester Tourism" and got several good hits.

Good Luck, and Happy Camping!!!

Pull Toy
09-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Best advice I can give you is ask at the front desk at the Campground, they're local, and usually have a handle on the local events. Ask, but also look for brochures, posters, and fliers. We also usually Google the Name of the Town + Tourism. This weekend we'll be in Gloucester, MA (pronounced GLOUSTA believe it or not) so I Googled "Gloucester Tourism" and got several good hits.

Good Luck, and Happy Camping!!!

Cbrez
09-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Pull Toy is spot on. I don't know of an app that gets you what you want, but just ask other folks in the campground. Everyone is there for a reason a most are more than happy to tell you what they know about the area.

Mike484
09-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Most campgrounds will have brochures of local attractions. If they don't, you can usually stop my a local hotel/motel and get some from their lobby. Any attraction worth visiting always advertises where tourists may be located.

But, if there is some sort of app or something that you could use while planning your next stop, it would be great to have handy. There are several apps for campgrounds that will link you to the campground website. Most campground websites will list local attractions as a way to get you to come and stay at their park.

Tbos
09-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Good luck, I am looking forward to doing that in a few years. Let us know how it goes.

GrandBob
09-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I will continue to search and post any good ones I find.

hdrolling
09-25-2016, 06:19 AM
We use facebook on our phone or computer and search for what ever area we're in to see what the local event page says. Most of the bigger area's have an events page. Our local one is called "Downtown Fayetteville", lists all the current and upcoming events and festivals strait to our facebook page.

Just a thought.

GaryWT
09-25-2016, 06:29 AM
I have an app called Scout maps and you can look things up by area. We use it if we are going someplace new.