PDA

View Full Version : Safety chains

Ken / Claudia
09-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Seen my 2nd trailer in my life disconnect from tow vehicle.
Last week on freeway a pickup pulling a trailer made for carrying 1 yard of wet cement past me at about 70mph. It had to be empty due to the bouncing it was doing and no cement flying out. Trailer may have a fixed axle without springs. It was bouncing a lot as it when by. Several minutes later I passed it as it was on the left shoulder. Guys just getting out to check it. The coupler was disconnected with tongue plowed into the gravel. The chains still attached to the hitch. I could not see if the coupler failed or what caused the disconnect. Lots of traffic at that time good thing it stayed attached.
I posted before about the other incident. It was similar but, I was working and watched it in front of me. The trailer was bouncing like crazy. A small log splitter, guys driving way to fast. I was radioing the traffic stop, you do that before the stop not after. And it that case the coupler disconnected, the tongue went up, crashed into the bumper area. the safety chains held. On that one the coupler latch was up, unlocked as I checked it out. The driver said he latched it. If he did the bouncing caused it to unlatch. unknown if that was really possible or not, just going by what he said.

CaptnJohn
09-22-2016, 06:13 PM
A few states require chains on 5ers. Unsure of the thinking on that both ways.

rhagfo
09-28-2016, 02:53 AM
A few states require chains on 5ers. Unsure of the thinking on that both ways.

Not if using a pin hitch, only if a ball hitch is involved AKA Andersen and like.