PDA

View Full Version : Another electric jack question

Hankintu
09-17-2016, 03:32 AM
Which do you think is better, the jack with the 7 pin connector that plugs into you TV or one that you wire direct to the RV battery?
I can see some advantages to both. I like the idea of plugging into the TV so after long downtimes you won't get the dead or weak battery surprise but I have read that the plug ins can blow fuses in your TV at times.

old timer
09-17-2016, 04:47 AM
Plug into the RV sounds best to me. Hooking up the 7 pin wire is the last thing I do when hooking up my 5er. If you need to raise your trailer before you can put it on the truck you will not want to hook up the trailer wiring until after the trailer is connected to the truck.

GMcKenzie
09-20-2016, 05:27 AM
RV. You can always plug the 7 pin in if your batteries are low, but hook it up to the RV.

flybouy
09-20-2016, 06:14 AM
RV. You can always plug the 7 pin in if your batteries are low, but hook it up to the RV.

Agreed, Let's say your all set up and it rains. You find the ground has softened and the front is now a little low or want to place a board under it to help distribute the load. The last thing you want to do is have to connect the TV up to do that. JM2CW.

Hankintu
10-18-2016, 03:27 AM
Went with the recommendations. Glad I did as with the front bunk of the hybrid out it covers the jack and now with the Jackquick I can lower the front down to make folding it back up much easier and without the TV in the way. Thanks all. And yes, when plugged in to the 7 pin it gives the battery life when low, so it was the right way to go.

GaryWT
10-18-2016, 02:25 PM
When backing into a site, if your TV is blocking the road and people cannot get by, you will need to move your TV quickly so the jack will no longer be plugged in to level it. I am always plugged in so connected to RV works for me. Also in all honesty, did not know the TV was an option.

srvnt
10-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Both. I try to disconnect or connect the trailer hitch (takes 4 trips moving up and down with a WDH) with the TV power attached to save power especially while boon-docking. I pull in or out the slide this way too. The trailer has a battery isolater when not in use, but I don't think the jack draws any power from the battery when stored without one anyway . It also has its own fuse. My 2 golf cart batteries can handle it with no problem but every little bit helps. If you have a genny then you have fewer worries.