PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack

Buzzy
09-15-2016, 12:09 PM
I was just wondering how everyone transports there bikes. We have 4 bikes that we bring with us on trips and I was just wondering the different ways people transport them. I am getting tired of taking them in and out of the camper or putting them on top of everything in the bed of the truck.

Outback 325BH
09-15-2016, 12:58 PM
I have a front receiver hitch on my truck, where I plug in a standard receiver hitch bike rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gearhead
09-15-2016, 04:06 PM
I had a heavier duty rear bumper fabricated for the trailer and carried my bicycle on a Swagman rack. Haven't had an issue with that.
However, I just put a Curt front receiver hitch on the Ram and might use that with the cabover.

slow
09-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Back of the truck under a bed cap that serves as our garage for the bikes and other items.

busterbrown
09-15-2016, 07:17 PM
We had a Class 2 hitch frabricated and welded to the frame rails on the back of the trailer. A receiver hitch bike rack has worked perfect for our needs. Remember, don't use the bumper mounted hitches as the sheet metal in the bumper isn't stout enough to support more than a spare tire or swing arm bbq.

nellie1289
09-15-2016, 07:29 PM
My 336bhs has a bike rack slide out, and for what its worth, is the worst piece of pile doggy doo ever. I refuse to use it. Flimsy has hell, WAY too low to the ground. You will be lucky to make it to the campground with your bikes still there. it only holds 200lbs, including the weight of the spare, so good luck actually using it. WORTHLESS. its one of those things that sounded great on the show room floor until you look at it for ten minutes at home realizing its just extra metal strapped to the rear end.

jkohler70
09-16-2016, 04:57 AM
Right now, they are carried inside the RV, but this off season, I'm installing Safety Struts to support my bumper and a clamp-on receiver hitch. The manufacturer claims Safety Struts increases bumper capacity to 400 ft-lbs.

Mike484
09-16-2016, 05:32 AM
If your going to mount anything to your bumper, look at what these guys have to offer to make your bumper safer.

http://mount-n-lock.com/

Barbell
09-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Our '14 Montana came with no bumper so I had local welding shop bolt two heavy 3 inch angle irons to the frame rails and welded a receiver hitch to them. That way it can be removed later. The installer did say not to try to tow anything with it. We carry two bikes, one an electric that weighs about 60 lbs with no problems.

CWSWine
09-20-2016, 03:59 AM
We had a Class 2 hitch frabricated and welded to the frame rails on the back of the trailer. A receiver hitch bike rack has worked perfect for our needs. Remember, don't use the bumper mounted hitches as the sheet metal in the bumper isn't stout enough to support more than a spare tire or swing arm bbq.

My BBQ and spare tire weighted in at 135 pounds and my bike rack with 2 bikes weighs in at 85 pounds.

Tbos
09-20-2016, 08:06 AM
What did you do with your bbq and spare? I don't like the way the bbq attaches to the stand so I don't leave mine on when I travel.

Mike484
09-20-2016, 08:14 AM
What did you do with your bbq and spare? I don't like the way the bbq attaches to the stand so I don't leave mine on when I travel.

We dont either, we take it off and put it in the back of the truck.

GrandBob
09-22-2016, 08:27 AM
We had the slide out rack strengthened ( http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26054 ) and will be trying a clamp on the bumper rack. I will watch for bumper failure and if (when) it shows any wear I will have the bumper replaced with better steel.

michael_h
09-22-2016, 04:47 PM
the way we roll

http://keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=634&pictureid=3593