PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty

taddkiser07
09-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Has any one purchased an extended warranty for the TT? If so, where? If not, why?

Jhanemann
09-15-2016, 05:03 PM
I purchased mine when I bought it. The dealership offered it through a third party.

Southern Louisiana
2014 Keystone Sprinter 320bhs

gearhead
09-16-2016, 08:11 AM
I think it's a crapshoot. If you buy it, you may not ever use it. If you don't buy it, you'll wish you did.
I will say it takes some expensive repairs to get your money back. I'm about halfway there, maybe.
I don't think I would do it again. Just be aware that you could be spending some real money without it.
I bought the warranty at the dealer at closing on the RV.

taddkiser07
09-16-2016, 09:12 AM
thats how I kind of feel gearhead. The dealership offered it, and it was going to be an additional $2000. I said no! I was hoping to find an extended warranty some where else that was cheaper.

darrylwt
09-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Has any one purchased an extended warranty for the TT? If so, where? If not, why?

I got mine used so after the one year Keystone warranty I got one thru Good Sam with tire warranty for 4 years

scott24
09-22-2016, 05:32 PM
We purchased ours when we signed the papers on our new Passport 2 years ago. Was only $1000.

spicercars
09-23-2016, 04:39 AM
It's not about the price but about what it will or will not cover. Some company's will cover the cost of a broken water line but won't cover the water damage. The water line fix is the easy part. The water damage could be very expensive. So read threw the warranty papers before you choose.

bmach
09-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Remember most the appliances, awning, water heater, etc have their own warenties and they are normally 2 years parts and labor and the third year parts. Those are what would normally need work so why waste money when they are already covered?

Tbos
09-23-2016, 05:34 PM
My dealer included the "RV Warranty Forever" as part of our deal a year ago. They are now doing the annual inspection for $199. They inspect the roof and spot seal it, the hubs and axles (not the bearings), and check the water system. While its in they will also do some other warranty work. I'm really not sure what they are doing is worth the $$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave in Fl
09-25-2016, 06:12 AM
I didn't buy the extended warranty when I bought my 21' Hideout. The warranty only covered defects in material and workmanship. The appliances have their own warranties. The two most expensive parts of the trailer are the AC unit and the refrigerator. I would have had to replace both units within the extended warranty period in order to come close to the cost of the warranty.

GaryWT
09-25-2016, 06:28 AM
We got ours through the dealer, just added a couple dollars to the monthly payment so it was not bad.

gearhead
09-25-2016, 07:02 AM
I didn't buy the extended warranty when I bought my 21' Hideout. The warranty only covered defects in material and workmanship. The appliances have their own warranties. The two most expensive parts of the trailer are the AC unit and the refrigerator. I would have had to replace both units within the extended warranty period in order to come close to the cost of the warranty.
If you have Dometic A/C and refrigerator they offer an extended warranty. Be sure you register the components with Dometic. They will mail you the warranty offer at the end of their initial coverage. If you don't know if yours are registered call Dometic.

buzzcop63
09-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Purchased our TT in March of 2012, dealer offered extended warranty; I turned it down and have never had a need to make use of it during the four years I have owned the trailer. Read through all the manuals and made a list up of how long the manufacture covers the individual components and thought that was quite enough. My background of some 20 years owning a repair business where we covered warranty for electric power tools, battery chargers, electronic automotive scopes, hydraulic and air tools. If an item is taken care of and does not show any defect in the first year of service then it most likely has no defects and will continue to operate until something wares out.

Also with extended warranties, read "Trailer Life", and their are always people writing in about their extended warranty and how they got turned down because they did not follow all the instructions on reporting, seeking permission as well as the often used quote "Its not covered". Take the money it is going to cost for the insurance and put it in the bank, when the time is up on the warranty see what you have left, you might be very pleased!