PDA

View Full Version : Are Keystone dealers limited on which brands they sell?

Timon
09-12-2016, 06:08 AM
We're looking at both Montana High Country 353RL and Alpine 3401RS. I'd like to purchase in OR for several personal reasons but the only dealers along the I5 that show up for Alpine are all Campingworlds:banged: There is one in Bend, OR but it's not a travel route I would normally take. This would be an ordered coach paid in cash, no trade no financing.

Can any Keystone dealer order any Keystone brand on only the ones they are authorized to carry?

Outback 325BH
09-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Based on what I have seen, my guess would be they are limited.

One dealer near me sells Laredo while another sells Outback. They knew nothing about the ones the did not sell... which was frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckster57
09-12-2016, 07:06 AM
There are "protected zones". Not exclusive to Keystone.

ctbruce
09-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Dealers sell across lines and have a 75 mile or so exclusive right to the models they sell. My dealer carries Impacts but Fuzions are carried at another dealer 40 miles away. Darn exclusive deals.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

bobbecky
09-12-2016, 07:18 PM
There is Paul Evert's RV Country in Coburg, OR. It is down the street from the CW. We purchased our Montana from their location in Fresno, and were treated well. I purchased some parts and accessories from the one in Coburg last year.

Timon
09-12-2016, 08:38 PM
There is Paul Evert's RV Country in Coburg, OR. It is down the street from the CW. We purchased our Montana from their location in Fresno, and were treated well. I purchased some parts and accessories from the one in Coburg last year.We stopped by PE on one of our trips to Washington and they seemed nice.

With everything I've read about CW and the bad, could say more but I won't, experence from them when we want to take a quick look at some High Countries I really don't want to deal with them.

I have the number for the Alpine factory rep so I'm going to give him a call.

On a side note, I wish Keystone had something between the full body paint and the baseline single color vinyl graphics. We don't like the look of the most full body paint jobs because they are to "busy" looking but the base graphics of the Alpine look very nice. What we'd love to see is a FB paint option that uses the base line single color graphics pattern but painted on with clear coats to protect it. It should be about have the cost of the full body paint and still look good.

gearhead
09-13-2016, 06:40 AM
Disregarding the dealer, I would lean towards Alpine. Better trim, fiberglass rear cap, etc.
Heavier.

Timon
09-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Disregarding the dealer, I would lean towards Alpine. Better trim, fiberglass rear cap, etc.
Heavier.We are definitely leaning toward the Alpine 3401RS as it really isn't that much more expensive than its roughly equivalent Montana High Country 353RL. I think it comes out to about 15% real world or so. I say think since I can only use some of the other Alpine models as a guide. As far as heavier it's not that much at least for the one we're looking at. Both the Alpine 3401RS and the MHC 353RL come in with a GVWR below 15,001 pounds, the magic number for CA. There is less than 500 pounds difference on the CCC which we can live with.

Right now I'm trying to find either 3400RS or 3401RS just to look at. Don't really care which one since the only difference it the RR.

The one thing about the MHC 353RL is that there is more room in the battery compartment than the Alpine 3401RS as it doesn't have the hydraulic pump.

Pull Toy
09-13-2016, 02:22 PM
Would you buy a band new Cadillac from a Chevy Dealer if he wasn't franchised for Caddy? The "REAL" Caddy dealer, who pays a heavy up front load for franchise fees, advertising, inventory, spare parts etc... etc... etc...might have a real problem with making you happy later!

Pull Toy
09-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Would you buy a band new Cadillac from a Chevy Dealer if he wasn't franchised for Caddy? The "REAL" Caddy dealer, who pays a heavy up front load for franchise fees, advertising, inventory, spare parts etc... etc... etc...might have a real personal problem with making you happy later!

Timon
09-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Would you buy a band new Cadillac from a Chevy Dealer if he wasn't franchised for Caddy? The "REAL" Caddy dealer, who pays a heavy up front load for franchise fees, advertising, inventory, spare parts etc... etc... etc...might have a real problem with making you happy later!Which is why I'm asking, how tight are the franchise rules for Keystone?

On a side note. A customer goes to the Chevy/Cadillic dealer and ask for a part for his Chevy. The parts guy goes back and gets the part and charges him $50. Next custmer comes in and asks for the part for his Cadillic. The parts guy goes back and gets the part from the same bin and charges him $100.

bsmith0404
09-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Just for clarification, the Montana High Country is a Premium 5th wheel, the Alpine is a Luxury. The Alpine and Montana are roughly the same, the High Country is a step down.

Personal opinion, the Alpine is worth the drive you may have to make to purchase it. We looked at a lot of RVs in the premium and luxury class and the Alpine stood out to us as more bang for buck. As far as Camping World, not sure what issues you're having there, but I will say the ones I have visited have all taken on a new perspective of providing better customer service. They are the only place that didn't ask me if I purchased from them when I needed so warranty work completed, they just scheduled me to come in 2 days later and took good care of me. When I was transporting, every CW I delivered to was a pleasure to work with unlike many of the privately owned dealerships. There's one in Pomona I will never go to, even if I have to carry the 5er on my back to get somewhere else.

notanlines
09-13-2016, 04:46 PM
I'm with Brent here. CW didn't get to be the largest by treating everybody like a mouse turd. A few bad experiences? I have no doubt. But worthy of traveling miles and miles to buy somewhere else? Probably not. I would weigh each business deal individually and go from there.

Timon
10-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Just saw that the Alpine 3300GR now also comes as a 3301GR so we put it back on our list. Just wish it was the same length as the 3401RS. Just don't know if one can get to the RR with the slides in. I think one would have to at least move the PS slide.

About the only major downside to the 3300GR floor plan is all the large windows are on the DS so you see your neighbors campsite and not your own.

Just seems like there are very few Alpine dealers compared to Montana dealers which is something I just don't understand. Will a Montana dealer can or even work on an Alpine? I really need to call Keystone next week.

BTW, I've read that you can't get wiring or plumbing diagrams for any Keystone product. Is this true?

KanTC
10-08-2016, 06:38 PM
BTW, I've read that you can't get wiring or plumbing diagrams for any Keystone product. Is this true?

That's correct -unfortunately- neither is available to the public.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Alpine
10-12-2016, 08:08 AM
http://www.hwytrailersales.com/

This is where we purchased our Alpine (Salem Oregon). May be worth a call to see what they can do for you. They were approximately $7,000 less than what CW in Portland could do for us!