PDA

View Full Version : Leveling

ROLIN JOSEPH
09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
I know I’m setting myself up for some smart a## comments about Ontario campers…..but here goes.
Over the last ten years of RVing my wife and I have seen so many trailers that have been stabilized and yet completely, and very obviously, out of level!
This past weekend we saw a typical example in the process of being ‘set up’. The couple where actually measuring, with a measuring tape, the height of the four corners of their trailer to the ground!
I couldn’t help asking the guy why he was doing that. His answer was…”making sure it’s perfectly level”:banghead:
….OK….go!

bsmith0404
09-10-2016, 01:02 PM
I'd like to see how they build houses. I've been in some sites that are so bad side to side that it raised the tires off the ground when the 6 point system leveled out. I've also been in some that had the nose lowered all the way and the rear was about 4' in the air. I wonder how the tape measure method works on a site like that?

chuckster57
09-10-2016, 02:11 PM
That's a good one.

Dave W
09-10-2016, 02:20 PM
I guess it's to each his own.
My way is a carpenter's level if we are staying somewhere more then a couple days. Right now, we are kinda close, but not 'perfect' in a ho-hum 'lumpy' CG at the South entrance of Grand Canyon. Maybe the KOA in Grant's, NM tomorrow night will be better:bdance:

roadglide
09-10-2016, 06:30 PM
I guess it's to each his own.
My way is a carpenter's level if we are staying somewhere more then a couple days. Right now, we are kinda close, but not 'perfect' in a ho-hum 'lumpy' CG at the South entrance of Grand Canyon. Maybe the KOA in Grant's, NM tomorrow night will be better:bdance: I'm retired from Grants nm , I had a big ranch house 4 miles south on HYW 53 from the KOA. There will be trains going by every 15 minutes thru grants. For rallies and visiting I use the bar S close Petro and Loves exit 79 . It cost 19 a night. I can say the KOA is a bit sweeter but train noise is evey where. Back to leveling I only use the bubble level in the refrigerator and carry 3/4 and 2 inch 8 by 10 blocks in a tote.

Dave W
09-10-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm retired from Grants nm , I had a big ranch house 4 miles south on HYW 53 from the KOA. There will be trains going by every 15 minutes thru grants. For rallies and visiting I use the bar S close Petro and Loves exit 79 . It cost 19 a night. I can say the KOA is a bit sweeter but train noise is evey where. Back to leveling I only use the bubble level in the refrigerator and carry 3/4 and 2 inch 8 by 10 blocks in a tote.

Only one place I have ever given up trying to level and that was a CG last year near Santa Fe - and I carry about a half of a tree in 2x8/10, 4x4 and 4x6 plus a few pieces of 3/4 plywood just in case. After dinging my truck on an inappropriately placed tree, we pulled out and went elsewhere.

As far as noise, anywhere along I-40 and the BNSF rail line we have found will give you all the sound effects you will ever need. We went through Grants last year but I have to say, it was just another city at the time - sorry:o:o

JRTJH
09-10-2016, 06:51 PM
I can't believe he was trying to level by measuring from the bottom of the trailer to the ground. Everyone knows you've got to measure from the clearance lights to the drip rail to be accurate..... What were they thinking????? SHEESH !!!! !:D

ROLIN JOSEPH
09-10-2016, 07:49 PM
LOL "bouncey:
I was just about to tell him that John when my better half, God bless her good judgement, pinched my arm and pulled me away from him!:rolleyes:

Bignewsantafe
09-11-2016, 06:45 AM
Hummmm, sounds like my neighbor! Did you get his name?
:)

Tbos
09-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Like button, LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaptnJohn
09-11-2016, 12:50 PM
I've heard of some strange things and that is one of the best.

SAABDOCTOR
09-12-2016, 04:49 AM
(tx) You made my monday! He is most likely the same guy whos partner yells "mon back mon back" you hear the crash then "hod it!":D

gearhead
09-12-2016, 05:03 AM
Beware. They are out there. Everywhere!

GaryWT
09-12-2016, 05:58 AM
I don't understand the problem. If one corner is low you just crank that jack until it is the same height, so what is the bathroom door does not work.

Might explain why my wife is always rolling to my side of the bed though...

ROLIN JOSEPH
09-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Now Mr. Levelhead likes his ‘sunny side up’ with the yolk in the middle, but he just can’t figure out why she can’t do that in the trailer!:rolleyes:

Ok...I'm done now:wave:

Mike484
09-12-2016, 07:56 AM
I was waiting to see how many would answer that didnt see a problem with this, glad to see that most of us are a little smarter than that.

I did make the mistake one time of assuming the concrete pads were level and only checked the level front to back, it wasnt until I had everything set up and went inside until I realized just how wrong I was. I never trust a site anymore, always depend on a level.

flybouy
09-13-2016, 07:52 AM
I can't believe he was trying to level by measuring from the bottom of the trailer to the ground. Everyone knows you've got to measure from the clearance lights to the drip rail to be accurate..... What were they thinking????? SHEESH !!!! !:D

I thought the best way to level is similar to how the ancients built the pyramids.

1. open window on drivers side of camper
2. place water hose through window
3. turn on water to hose
4. wait until water rises sufficiently to enable measuring.
5. turn off water
6. crawl through window and measure water depth at each corner.:banghead:

JRTJH
09-13-2016, 08:56 AM
I thought the best way to level is similar to how the ancients built the pyramids.

1. open window on drivers side of camper
2. place water hose through window
3. turn on water to hose
4. wait until water rises sufficiently to enable measuring.
5. turn off water
6. crawl through window and measure water depth at each corner.:banghead:

I like it !!! But be careful not to overload your Trailer King tires !!!!!!

flybouy
09-13-2016, 05:04 PM
I like it !!! But be careful not to overload your Trailer King tires !!!!!!
I only put 10 psi (CO straight out of the diesel exhaust pipe) to make the trailer ride softer for the wife and kids, the dogs ride in the truck with me but that's a subject for another post!"bouncey:

Cbrez
09-14-2016, 04:52 PM
This works every time. DW goes inside the RV and lays down flat on the floor. I start leveling and she yells out up/down, left/right until she is satisfied it is level. It may or may not be level but that's ok because around my campsite...

...if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy😃

Yeah, gonna catch some flak for that one

bsmith0404
09-15-2016, 04:11 AM
Man, I am missing out. I just push a button and let the 6 point system do it's work. These other methods sound so much better.

notanlines
09-15-2016, 05:10 AM
Brent, here we all thought that a well-travelled man like yourself would have learned the value of a dollar and leaned towards the FREE leveling systems outlined above!:D

ROLIN JOSEPH
09-15-2016, 06:19 AM
I was wondering how Pythagoras would have leveled his trailer if he had one.
I checked out the Pythagorean theorem on Wiki......man there's a lot of ........stuff......there........:yawn:

SAABDOCTOR
09-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Ok cbrez where do we send the remains?:d

bsmith0404
09-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Brent, here we all thought that a well-travelled man like yourself would have learned the value of a dollar and leaned towards the FREE leveling systems outlined above!:D

Well, I liked the trailer and they wouldn't remove the system so I was stuck with it. Little did I know at the time that all of these other free systems would have been sooo much better.

Cbrez
09-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Ok cbrez where do we send the remains?:d
She won't tell me, but we do live on the coast :scuba:

xrated
12-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Sorry to break up the party, but I do have a serious question to "level" at you guys. Since I'm totally new at this, do I need to carry a level in the trailer or will the small bubble levels that you can buy at any camping store and attach to the outside of the trailer, be sufficient?

Outback 325BH
12-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Sorry to break up the party, but I do have a serious question to "level" at you guys. Since I'm totally new at this, do I need to carry a level in the trailer or will the small bubble levels that you can buy at any camping store and attach to the outside of the trailer, be sufficient?

Until recently, I carried a 4' level. Simple yet accurate.

I have since added this:

https://www.amazon.com/LevelMatePRO-Bluetooth-Vehicle-Leveling-System/dp/B01FGGSWPW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckster57
12-08-2016, 01:27 PM

Several options here. You can get small bubble levels that can be mounted to the corners of the trailer, you can carry a level or you could do as you asked and stick a level on the tongue.

Depending on the length of your unit, if you use the exterior corners, putting a set at opposite corners front and back will be more accurate. Frame flex can make it look good in the front and not be good behind the axles. If your unit is a bumper pull, putting a bubble level may not be as accurate as you like, again depending on hitch flex. Most important item to level is the refer.

If your going to use levels attached to the unit, level it, check the refer and then put the levels on. As a rule if the unit is level the refer is too, but until you verify it, don't take it for granted.

Since I have a fiver, I have a large bubble level mounted on the pin box, it allows me to level side to side with blocks before I unhitch. Then front to back is easy with the landing gear.

xrated
12-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Chuckster.......It's an Impact 303 (34 1/2') tow behind...not a Fiver. I have several carpenter levels, the longest being a 4'. I also bough a set of the bubble levels that you attach to the outside of the trailer. So, if I'm understanding you, base your "what is level" on the refrigerator? I didn't know that it was that critical for the fridge to be spot on level, I would have assumed that the slides would be affected more by an "out of level" trailer.

xrated
12-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Until recently, I carried a 4' level. Simple yet accurate.

I have since added this:

https://www.amazon.com/LevelMatePRO-Bluetooth-Vehicle-Leveling-System/dp/B01FGGSWPW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that level Pro looks pretty sweet, that may have to go on the short list of things to get. Thanks for the tip.

Luvkoi
07-19-2017, 06:33 PM
First time ever all were spot on parked in our own back yard.

chuckster57
07-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Interesting gadget, can I ask where you got it and how much?

Luvkoi
07-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Interesting gadget, can I ask where you got it and how much?

Camco ez level

I want to say...maybe $50 or so. Bought it at the RV store when we picked up the rig but Amazon has them.

chuckster57
07-19-2017, 07:24 PM
I will have to look at the NTP book in the morning. I get an employee discount so it may be worth adding to my tool box

Luvkoi
07-19-2017, 07:32 PM
NICE! It's not a bad little gadget to have. Works just like having a small level but, saves the step of switching side to side or front to back, etc. The wife usually keeps an eye on it while I level the rig. It's techy so she's into it and it's battery run w/an automatic off.

chuckster57
07-19-2017, 08:28 PM
We have to check auto level during PDI and it can be a bit of a pain rotating that long level with the slides in. Since pics of level, placement and bubble are required, might be easier to just take one pic, it will show orientation and low side.

Goose
07-20-2017, 09:21 AM
The wife and I like to use the "close enough" method. We also only usually camp for 3-4 nights at a time. It has worked out for us so far. As long as my milk stays cold in the fridge, I am good to go. Lol

bitten
07-20-2017, 04:20 PM
I use a simple bubble level app on phone.

Javi
07-20-2017, 04:26 PM
I push a button.

Javi

Desert185
07-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Driver's side front corner. Simple, effective, inexpensive, still attached after three years. Batteries not required. :thumbsup:

https://accessories.lazydays.com/hopkins-08525-graduated-level-03-0228?cid=52-0013-05&gclid=CjwKCAjwqcHLBRAqEiwA-j4AyGIULeWSKyEVChlnero9JhVS_f7Sz9mCs1Cz6lKHGPz0iY6 rWIIKLxoCh44QAvD_BwE

the sodfather
07-20-2017, 07:38 PM
I've had the Anderson Levelers since Christmas. Love them. Recently picked up the LevelMate Pro. OMG. How did I live without it.

chuckster57
07-20-2017, 07:42 PM
I push a button.

Javi

So do I, then I have to verify that it's right, so when YOU push the button it's on point!

Desert185
07-20-2017, 08:57 PM
I push a button.

Javi

I get exercise. The trailer weighs less, I weigh less...and it always works. :cool: