PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for JT Strong Arm install to TT

lesleyinky
09-01-2016, 01:09 PM
We just purchased the Strong Arm system in hopes to get in put on before this holiday weekend. My husband plans to do this tomorrow but he's unsure where to bolt the arms to on our TT frame. We have a Cougar 31sqb. It seems the directions and every video he tries to watch is for 5th wheel installations. Can someone tell us at what point did you bolt the arms to the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the sodfather
09-01-2016, 01:47 PM
A long piece of angle iron is bolted to the frame and the arms were measured out to where the arms had adequate reach no matter how high or low the stabilizers are opened.

I really like my JT bars. I'm sure you will too!

Pull Toy
09-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Since they mount to the frame of the trailer and jacks, and do not depend on the 5er overhang, installation should be the same regardless of Tag vs. 5er. A box is a box. Simple geometry.

Good luck,

lesleyinky
09-01-2016, 02:01 PM
A long piece of angle iron is bolted to the frame and the arms were measured out to where the arms had adequate reach no matter how high or low the stabilizers are opened.

I really like my JT bars. I'm sure you will too!

Thank you for your quick reply! My husband says he doesn't see any angled iron under ours. Think our unit isn't made the same as yours? Do you happen to have any pictures by chance?

lesleyinky
09-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Since they mount to the frame of the trailer and jacks, and do not depend on the 5er overhang, installation should be the same regardless of Tag vs. 5er. A box is a box. Simple geometry.

Good luck,

It's a different kit altogether - they make two separate strong arm systems depending on if you have a 5th wheel or a TT. I'm imagining that means the installation has to be different somehow.

the sodfather
09-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Thank you for your quick reply! My husband says he doesn't see any angled iron under ours. Think our unit isn't made the same as yours? Do you happen to have any pictures by chance?

The angle iron was added. I'm not good with posting photos but if you want to pm me you mobile # or email, I'll send you some picks. Hey, I'm here to help!

lesleyinky
09-01-2016, 02:37 PM
The angle iron was added. I'm not good with posting photos but if you want to pm me you mobile # or email, I'll send you some picks. Hey, I'm here to help!

Thanks again! I just relayed what you said and he said that's what he wondered if he would need to do. He's going to add the angled iron and go from there. Appreciate your help!!

the sodfather
09-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks again! I just relayed what you said and he said that's what he wondered if he would need to do. He's going to add the angled iron and go from there. Appreciate your help!!

Here is a try for a pic.

the sodfather
09-01-2016, 05:12 PM
And another...

the sodfather
09-01-2016, 05:15 PM
One more...

lesleyinky
09-01-2016, 05:35 PM
One more...

These pictures are great!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! He's informed me it may not happen before this trip now that we have to add that piece, but at least we will be able to get it on soon!

the sodfather
09-01-2016, 05:42 PM
These pictures are great!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! He's informed me it may not happen before this trip now that we have to add that piece, but at least we will be able to get it on soon!

No prob. Hope the quality of the pic was good enough. It took a 16 yo daughter to teach dear old dad how to post a pic!

lesleyinky
09-01-2016, 06:43 PM
No prob. Hope the quality of the pic was good enough. It took a 16 yo daughter to teach dear old dad how to post a pic!

So funny - I can relate! Two teenage sons right now and I learn something new everyday! [emoji23] Picture quality was great and my husband will be pleased to have them. Since he couldn't work on the Strong Arm tonight, he decided to take his boat and go fishing instead.....hmmm......that may have been planned! lol

the sodfather
09-02-2016, 02:50 AM
So funny - I can relate! Two teenage sons right now and I learn something new everyday! [emoji23] Picture quality was great and my husband will be pleased to have them. Since he couldn't work on the Strong Arm tonight, he decided to take his boat and go fishing instead.....hmmm......that may have been planned! lol

Right! I took the photos on my way to my lease. We will be eating jalapeņo and bacon wrapped dove tonight!;)

chartrand
09-06-2016, 04:37 PM
I have a travel trailer not a 5th wheel.
On by Bullet Premier I found cross beams under the chloroplast under belly cover. I took out a few screws and looked to find one and used that mount mine. Just be sure to look first, as you don't want to put screws into your holding tanks.

I have 3 pair installed:
one pair on the back of the trailer that go along the width of the trailer.

Then 1 pair on the front along the length of the trailer and another pair on the front along the width of the trailer.

I will admit that I have the BAL version, but had to buy a few strong arm brackets to make it work right. I should have just purchased the strong arm to begin with.

B-O-B'03
09-06-2016, 05:17 PM
I have the steadyfast stabilizers on my trailer, but imagine they would mount similarly to any other brand?

https://c6.staticflickr.com/2/1490/25684758445_c1094311dc_z.jpg

I bolted them right to the frame rails, using the drill bit and self tapping bolts, that came with the kit.

-Brian

lawdog130
09-22-2016, 10:14 PM
I have the steadyfast stabilizers on my trailer, but imagine they would mount similarly to any other brand?
I bolted them right to the frame rails, using the drill bit and self tapping bolts, that came with the kit.

-Brian

How do you like the SteadyFast system? I want to add stabilizers to my camper next year but can't decide on the strong arm or steadyfast. The steadyfast looks less complicated and easier to install as it only has three bars.

the sodfather
09-23-2016, 04:34 AM
How do you like the SteadyFast system? I want to add stabilizers to my camper next year but can't decide on the strong arm or steadyfast. The steadyfast looks less complicated and easier to install as it only has three bars.

Less bars equal less stabilization. Possibly?

Mike484
09-23-2016, 05:35 AM

There are a few different brands of stabilization bars, they all do the same thing, its a choice just like Chevrolet, Ford, or Dodge, everyone has different tastes and opinions and everyone will tell you the ones they got are the best. Bottom line is, get a set of stabilization bars, you will find that it is one of the best investments you can make on your trailer.

I chose the BAL Lock Arms simply because I could buy two at a time and see how well they work. I found out they work very well and ended up buying more so actually didn't save any money. If you are trying to save money, get one set of two BAL Lock Arms, otherwise, they are all comparably the same cost (per bar) and do the same thing.

Mike484
09-23-2016, 05:48 AM
Here's mine. Very easy to install, easy to use, just have to remember to make sure the locking bolts are loose before raising or lowering the stabilizer jacks. I'm going to add a T-Handle type bolt to make it easier to lock and unlock.

lawdog130
09-24-2016, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the input! I will definitely install them in the spring, just have to decide which brand.

ImTravis
09-24-2016, 05:32 PM
I went with the Steadyfast because of good reviews, and the owner gives you his cell number with purchase, so you can call with any questions and he actually answers. Took me a bit to install (I'm not mechanically inclined), but I was able to do my install in under two hours, with less swearing than expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the sodfather
09-25-2016, 04:06 PM
I'm going to add a T-Handle type bolt to make it easier to lock and unlock.

Just an FYI, the JT's have "T handle" bolts. ;)

B-O-B'03
09-29-2016, 02:03 PM

I love it, the installation was simple and everything needed came with the kit.

The fact that you don't need anything, tool wise, to tighten the arms is also nice.

The amount of movement removed from the trailer is exceptional, the DW approves.

-Brian