PDA

View Full Version : Window fan parts

Steve S
08-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Hi guys I'm in need of a window fan and I'm thinking about making my own as I can't seem to find anything that'll work that doesn't cost a fortune.
I guess the first start would be to find a quite fan.
Any ideas or pics of what you've installed?

Pull Toy
08-31-2016, 03:13 PM
12v or 120v?

If 120v, check Wal-Mart, and take your pick. Is a ceiling vent reversible Fantastic Vent, or equivalent an option if 12 volt is needed? Another possibility is a ceiling fan.

Steve S
08-31-2016, 04:25 PM
12v or 120v?

If 120v, check Wal-Mart, and take your pick. Is a ceiling vent reversible Fantastic Vent, or equivalent an option if 12 volt is needed? Another possibility is a ceiling fan.

Hi, it'll have to be 12 volt as I want to avoid 120v as all of my camping is off grid.
From all of the window vents I've seen they're mostly 120 and the 12v are pretty much cheaply made.
If I'm going to be forced to go with a ceiling vent I want something dead quite as it'll be above me.
The cheapest option that I've found was this on e.trailers for $124.00. But the old saying of "you get what you pay for" rings in my ears. :rolleyes:
It'll rarely be used and if I want I can convert it to a variable fan down the road.

chuckster57
08-31-2016, 05:37 PM
I have installed both max air and fantastic fans. the max fan is quieter. I have a max air vent fans at both ends of my fiver, one above the bed and they are both VERY quiet.

Steve S
09-01-2016, 09:46 AM
I'm thinking that the Maxxair is the way to go. It'd be nice if they would just sell the box to slide in and not have all the rest of it as it'd be much cheaper. That was my idea of thinking when it came to the roof vent."bouncey:

Festus2
09-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Steve -

Try checking out marine 12v fans. I Googled this topic and several sites popped up with numerous types of 12v powered fans of various sizes, prices and shapes. West Marine also has quite a selection found in their catalogue and also online.

hankaye
09-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Steve S. Howdy;

Have you considered installing one or more Computer fans???
Just putting that out for consideration.

hank

Steve S
09-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Steve -

Try checking out marine 12v fans. I Googled this topic and several sites popped up with numerous types of 12v powered fans of various sizes, prices and shapes. West Marine also has quite a selection found in their catalogue and also online.

Thanks Festus2 I never thought about that but it makes sense

Steve S. Howdy;

Have you considered installing one or more Computer fans???
Just putting that out for consideration.

hank

Yup I've been thinking about that also"bouncey: It might be the way to go as they're very quite compared to let's say a hood vent fan.

GMcKenzie
09-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Yup I've been thinking about that also"bouncey: It might be the way to go as they're very quite compared to let's say a hood vent fan.

A Cummins diesel is quiet compered to those dumb hood fans. :p

JRTJH
09-02-2016, 11:36 AM

If you want a "very quiet" range hood (and I'm not kidding) check this website. I installed the conversion kit almost 2 years ago. It might sound "far fetched" but we actually use the range hood on high as a fan to pull heat out of the trailer. It's quiet enough to use on medium or high and still listen to the TV and on low, you actually have to get "up close" to hear if it's even on.

http://www.fabulousoperatingproducts.com/#!upgrade-kit/myidc

While it's not cheap, my DW thinks it's the best investment we've made to the trailer. And, if she's happy, everybody is happy.....

Steve S
09-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Ain't that the truth! For an extra buck per unit you'd think that they wouldn't overlook the noise of the fan and the many complaints :rolleyes:

If you want a "very quiet" range hood (and I'm not kidding) check this website. I installed the conversion kit almost 2 years ago. It might sound "far fetched" but we actually use the range hood on high as a fan to pull heat out of the trailer. It's quiet enough to use on medium or high and still listen to the TV and on low, you actually have to get "up close" to hear if it's even on.

While it's not cheap, my DW thinks it's the best investment we've made to the trailer. And, if she's happy, everybody is happy.....
That sounds like a great upgrade but $200.00 plus shipping it's almost the cost of a ceiling fan. Sure does sound like a great upgrade though as my fan is a complete joke when it comes to noise:banghead:

JRTJH
09-03-2016, 12:14 PM
I was very skeptical about spending that much money on an exhaust fan "upgrade" for a range hood that really didn't work worth a hoot.... I decided to just "go for it" and was honestly very surprised at the results. My DW actually likes using the hood now. Before, with the "OEM fan" she wouldn't even turn it on. When dry camping, if it's stuffy in the trailer, we will turn the fan on low or medium and open a couple of windows. It pulls the "stale air" out of the trailer in no time. For us, even at the price, it turned out to be a good purchase.

Oh, if you read the website "About us" section, they state that the "original designer and patent owner for the Fantastic Fan" is the brother of the owner of this "upgrade". So, that sort of explains why it's "on the caliber of Fantastic". I'd say both in quality and in noise..... We like it, but it is pretty easy to not want to spend that much for a range hood. I'm glad we did.

tommy_z
09-04-2016, 06:22 AM
Look at a brand called O2 COOL. They have a 10" that runs on 'D' batteries and comes with a 120V adapter. It takes 8 batteries, which is 12V. You can buy/make your own adapter to also run on the trailer 12V system.

I made a small bracket to hold one of these flush to a window and it worked pretty well to move air in/out.

GMcKenzie
09-05-2016, 10:29 AM

I've seen that before. If I didn't already have a fantastic Fan in the ceiling of my kitchen, I would do this. Not sure who carries them in Canada, but they look like a good idea.

Desert185
09-05-2016, 10:48 AM
I was very skeptical about spending that much money on an exhaust fan "upgrade" for a range hood that really didn't work worth a hoot.... I decided to just "go for it" and was honestly very surprised at the results. My DW actually likes using the hood now. Before, with the "OEM fan" she wouldn't even turn it on. When dry camping, if it's stuffy in the trailer, we will turn the fan on low or medium and open a couple of windows. It pulls the "stale air" out of the trailer in no time. For us, even at the price, it turned out to be a good purchase.

Oh, if you read the website "About us" section, they state that the "original designer and patent owner for the Fantastic Fan" is the brother of the owner of this "upgrade". So, that sort of explains why it's "on the caliber of Fantastic". I'd say both in quality and in noise..... We like it, but it is pretty easy to not want to spend that much for a range hood. I'm glad we did.

I've found that the stock range fan works significantly better when the outside flapper is unlocked. "bouncey:

Steve S
09-06-2016, 12:02 PM
For some odd reason I've been being a cheap sob about this upgrade:cool:
The most logical solution is to buy the hood vent fan as it's in the middle of the trailer and it serves two purposes. It'll keep the stale air out plus it will work better than the noisy fan that I have now and being in the middle it'll be very quite "bouncey:
Thanks everyone for the great replies:)

JoePK
09-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Haha! I've been wanting to add a fan to the bedroom area and have been following this post - ran across this in Amazon - :) How True "bouncey:
Product Description. Maxxair MaxxFan White Lid Remote Control - The hand held remote .... works awesome to clear the trailer of cooking smells and farts.

GMcKenzie
09-06-2016, 02:27 PM
For some odd reason I've been being a cheap sob about this upgrade:cool:
The most logical solution is to buy the hood vent fan as it's in the middle of the trailer and it serves two purposes. It'll keep the stale air out plus it will work better than the noisy fan that I have now and being in the middle it'll be very quite "bouncey:
Thanks everyone for the great replies:)

Let me know if you find a source for it in Canada (or even better, BC).