PDA

View Full Version : One of those "why did they do that?" questions

kmc58
08-31-2016, 12:32 AM
We own a Keystone Fuzion 395 Toy Hauler and have enjoyed it since we purchased in 2013.

There is a ceiling vent in the kitchen area of our camper which is unreachable unless you have a ladder so we have never used it. The other ceiling vent is over the living area and has a wall switch to operate it. Wonder why Keystone didn't wire the other vent the same way? Just scratching my head :confused:

jsmith948
08-31-2016, 04:02 AM
Drill two 1/4" dia. holes 180 deg. apart in the vent knob. Then take an extendable marshmallow roasting fork to open and close the out-of-reach vent.
Costs about $5 - or you can buy the kit at CW for about $25.

kmc58
08-31-2016, 06:40 AM
I didn't know they made a kit for this. Thank you for the information.

jsmith948
08-31-2016, 06:50 AM
The "kit' I referred to is a replacement knob that has a little loop or bail on it and a telescoping rod that has a hook on one end. You hook the hook into the little bail and it enables you to turn the crank on the vent lid. Way too expensive, in my view. Why I made my own.

papi
09-01-2016, 07:29 PM
If you have an old awning rod (the one you use to pull the awning out) use the loop end side to open and close the vent. That is what I do and it works perfect.

Desert185
09-01-2016, 07:45 PM
I used JB Weld to attach a u-bolt to an old ski pole. The u-bolt fits in the scalloped knob of the vent operating mechanism.

JRTJH
09-02-2016, 05:04 AM
Another "quick fix" option is to put a 1" strip of sticky back Velcro on the face of the vent knob and the corresponding Velcro on the end of a dowel that's cut to the appropriate length. You can leave it in place unless it "bothers you" to look at it. Just reach up, turn the dowel and operate the vent.

Pull Toy
09-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Better yet, now's the perfect time to upgrade to a remote controlled Vent Fan. I'll bet there's a 12v pair of wires just waiting to be discovered up there!

While I'm spending your money, throw in a Power Vent Cover so you can still get air during the rain. With or without the fan.

Good Luck,