PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Frost

bwright
08-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Over the last couple of months, I am getting this frost accumulating on the inside of the Freezer draw on our Samsung Residential refrigerator. By the way, the discoloration is only due to the bad lighting when I took the picture.

Is the seal going bad or do I have another problem? The unit is only 1 year old.

rjsurfer
08-28-2016, 01:04 AM
Check all the door seals, could be warm air sneaking in.

Ron W

Pull Toy
08-28-2016, 06:19 AM
+1for RJSURFER.

Use a dollar bill as a feeler gauge. Close the door on your bill, and then pull it out. You should feel slight resistance. Work your way completely around the seal on both doors Once you have finished, it should help you locate your problem area,

I would guess that you could make adjustment to the latch or hinges, or both to compensate.

Good luck.

GaryWT
08-28-2016, 12:25 PM
We get frost in our freezer, they are not like the home fridge that are frost free. Every time you open the door frost builds. You just have to defrost every so often.

kfxgreenie
08-28-2016, 05:14 PM
You more than likely have a defrost problem, unless you accidentally left the door open. Plugged defrost drain be my guess.

WaltBennett
08-29-2016, 08:34 AM
RVs of any kind are real humidity traps. (Just think about taking showers in the 300 or less square feet of floor space.) Our Dometic will frost over after a month of regular use and we've had to defrost it while on long trips. When sitting at home, it won't because we very seldom open the freezer. Since you've a residential unit, see if it's got a defrost cycle and use that while plugged into shore power.

kfxgreenie
08-29-2016, 09:08 AM
RVs of any kind are real humidity traps. (Just think about taking showers in the 300 or less square feet of floor space.) Our Dometic will frost over after a month of regular use and we've had to defrost it while on long trips. When sitting at home, it won't because we very seldom open the freezer. Since you've a residential unit, see if it's got a defrost cycle and use that while plugged into shore power.

Its a residential, it has a drawer and it will have a defrost cycle. It more than likely uses an adaptive defrost, meaning the control board will defrost the evap depending on a multitude of circumstances probably once a day. You can manually put it into defrost if you can find the tech sheet it will tell you how. But if the defrost drain is froze a defrost cycle will not open it up. How long has the unit been plugged in? If you do unplug it, and it does have a defrost problem or a defrost drain problem it will take a quite awhile to defrost the drain if it is froze, probably 24 hours. If there is a problem in the defrost cycle or the drain refreezes you will probably see the problem return in a week or 2. It could be a bad board, defrost thermostat, or defrost heater, orrrr maybe the drawer just accidentally got left open a hair and she frosted up.